Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack bugs to get them squashed

TOPIC: Comic info no longer being saved after comic vine scrape?

Comic info no longer being saved after comic vine scrape? 6 years 6 months ago #13133

• dmsimms
  • Fresh Boarder
Okay, so for the past few months, I've noticed that when I scrape a comic (using comic vine scraper), then later exit ComicRack, when I go back into it, the comic info that was there is gone! This keeps happening with all the newer titles I've added to my library. Is it possible that I've gone over some limit in how many titles it can store in the database? Is there some way to explicitly get it to save the data before exiting?

FYI I just did a scrape on one of the files I was having problems with, then right-clicked on it and chose "Info" and I got this stacktrace:

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'MinDate' and 'MaxDate'.
Parameter name: Value
at System.Windows.Forms.DateTimePicker.set_Value(DateTime value)
at cYo.Projects.ComicRack.Viewer.Dialogs.ComicBookDialog.SetDataToEditor(ComicBook comic)
at cYo.Projects.ComicRack.Viewer.Dialogs.ComicBookDialog.SetComicToEditor(ComicBook comic)
at cYo.Projects.ComicRack.Viewer.Dialogs.ComicBookDialog.SetCurrentBook(ComicBook comic, Boolean withRefresh)
at cYo.Projects.ComicRack.Viewer.Dialogs.ComicBookDialog..ctor(ComicBook current, ComicBook[] allBooks)
at cYo.Projects.ComicRack.Viewer.Dialogs.ComicBookDialog.Show(IWin32Window parent, ComicBook comicBook, ComicBook[] books, Func`2 selHandler)
at cYo.Projects.ComicRack.Viewer.MainForm.ShowInfo()
at cYo.Projects.ComicRack.Viewer.CommandMapper.Handle(Object sender)
at cYo.Projects.ComicRack.Viewer.CommandMapper.CommandMapperClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Comic info no longer being saved after comic vine scrape? 6 years 6 months ago #13134

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Yes this is a ugly bug that got through. I'll post .138 with some fixes today.

Edit: The .137 bug is about the invalid date.

Missed the first part of your post. No there's no limit and everything should be saved. Anyone else having this problem?
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by cYo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dmsimms

Re: Comic info no longer being saved after comic vine scrape? 6 years 6 months ago #13141

• dmsimms
  • Fresh Boarder
Great news! However, is it definite that the stacktrace I posted is related to my problem with not being able to save the comic info?

Re: Comic info no longer being saved after comic vine scrape? 6 years 6 months ago #13146

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
dmsimms wrote:
Okay, so for the past few months, I've noticed that when I scrape a comic (using comic vine scraper), then later exit ComicRack, when I go back into it, the comic info that was there is gone! This keeps happening with all the newer titles I've added to my library. Is it possible that I've gone over some limit in how many titles it can store in the database? Is there some way to explicitly get it to save the data before exiting?
I am also having this problem.

See this info dialog of a scraped file:

And now after restarting ComicRack:

Basically, it saves the data only partially.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Comic info no longer being saved after comic vine scrape? 6 years 6 months ago #13151

• Samael69
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
600, check to see if you have a dead entry for The Boys #53 now? ...one with an "x" on it.

Is this something introduced in 137? I've had the problem occasionally and for me it always seems to be certain titles. 3 or 4 times now, I've had to re-scrape Hellblazer #11, #19, #20, Trench-coat Brigade, certain Spawn issues, among others. It seems to happen most often when I re-factor my file system and move large numbers of files around (Only moved...not renamed). I re-scrape them, delete the dead entries and I'm good for another while

Re: Comic info no longer being saved after comic vine scrape? 6 years 6 months ago #13183

• dmsimms
  • Fresh Boarder
I rename the files (and convert from .cbr to .cbz to make it "friendlier" to my iPad) and put them in the desired folders first. Then I scrape them. If I close ComicRack (and I mean a true exit, not just hit the 'X' which minimizes it), the next time I open it, and go back to those same folders, the most recent files that I scraped no longer have the info (I haven't checked the details to see if there's any info, all I know is that the title has gone back to the generic name and issue number). Previous scraped files still have their info.

Re: Comic info no longer being saved after comic vine scrape? 6 years 6 months ago #13228

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Samael69 wrote:
600, check to see if you have a dead entry for The Boys #53 now? ...one with an "x" on it
No Samael, I checked.. but there is no dead entry. And this was just an example, it happens for a lot of files.. :(
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Comic info no longer being saved after comic vine scrape? 6 years 6 months ago #13242

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
Hi guys, not sure how I missed this topic, but I'm watching it now.

A couple of thoughts:

1) It looks like the comic data is being scraped ok. But maybe the scraper is doing something wrong when writing the data out to the comicbook? When the scraper finishes with a comicbook, the last thing it does before moving onto the next comicbook is this:
comicbook.WriteProposedValues(False)
To be honest, I'm not even sure why CVS does that (this bit of code was inherited when I took over CVS a few years back.) cYo, do you think that line of code should be there? Any chance that it is causing this problem? (I guess not, since this code has always been there.)

2) Have you guys been seeing this problem for a long time (i.e. up to 2 months ago, when the last CVS was released) or is it only in the last few weeks?

3) The fact that this problem seems to get worse when people are reorganizing their comic book directories makes me wonder if ComicRack's "Allow writing of book info into files" option is turned on or off, and whether or not this makes a difference to the bug.

4) Does the bug happen when you scrape in "batches" of files? Does itt happen when you scrape from the info dialog? Both?
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by cbanack.

Re: Comic info no longer being saved after comic vine scrape? 6 years 6 months ago #13244

• Samael69
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
I have "Allow writing of book info into files" turned off. As much as, in theory, this is a nice option, in reality I'm not spending the time to convert 11,672 files, sitting on a USB external RAIDed drive, to CBZ. Generally it only happens to me when I do large re-orgs...I think 3 times now. I move my ComicDB.xml file around a lot too and that might have something to do with it. I restore and backup my DB and scripts to an FTP server every time I start and shutdown ComicRack and have this set up on 3 machines so the library is always current.
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Samael69.

Re: Comic info no longer being saved after comic vine scrape? 6 years 6 months ago #13249

• dmsimms
  • Fresh Boarder
I have been having this problem for a few months now. I haven't done any file moving or reorganizing; I rename (and/or convert to .cbz) first and then scrape. I usually do batch scrapes but I have tried doing one at a time as well. I access CVS by clicking the icon in the toolbar. I haven't tried doing it any other way.

I will check the "allow writing" setting to see what it is set to. Not on that PC at the moment. I vaguely recall turning that on at one point because I was hoping the comic info would show up in ComicZeal on my iPad (but it does not).
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Who's Online

We have 217 guests and 2 members online