Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack bugs to get them squashed

TOPIC: [Fixed] ComicRack Hangs when quickly scrolling through comic pages

Re: ComicRack Hangs when quickly scrolling through comic pages 4 years 10 months ago #27122

• jeroenwalter
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
Oberon1464 wrote:
I would not be surprised if my large amount of books could slow down CR a bit but this still does not explain all my issues...

As I mentioned in an earlier reply n this topic:

" Sometimes when you scroll fast through a book CR will hang for an number of minutes (more than 5 at least) and then goes back to normal.
Also when you open a book in the viewer not all pages will load of take forever to show up.
Only a outline/box of the page is shown. This is not happening to all pages oddly enough.
When you look at the individual pages the pages that are having problems are showing red crosses.
I know for sure the image are not corrupt, I checked that and they do fine in CDisplayEx for instance."

See attachment. Note te page with the red cross on the left and the blank pages.

Anyone has had this also before?

Screenshot 1.png

I don't think it's got something to do with the comic file itself. I think it's a temporary deadlock condition in the code, caused by some multithreaded code where it needs to extract the cbz/cbr zip file to disk and wants to display an image that it's currently extracting. I'm guessing those 2 actions are executed in different threads, so one is waiting on the other.
If you wait some minutes, comicrack unlocks and the page will be displayed.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: ComicRack Hangs when quickly scrolling through comic pages 4 years 10 months ago #27123

• Juan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Ohhh, now that I see the sample video, I remember that I've had it happen to me before on larger files, usually with hundreds of pages or higher resolution scans.

I made a smartlist of comics > 200mb to test with, and was able to reproduce a brief hang of up to a few seconds (though not a complete freeze). I also noticed that the largest file size comics all had over 300 pages, and one was 1000 mb (!)

I don't think it has anything to do with hardware acceleration, since it behaved the same with or without it. I was able to somewhat reduce the blank screens by choosing the "Blend animation while fast paging" option, though I think that's just a visual change, not an actual solution.

The main cause I can think of however it caches the pages as you're reading, either in the Disk Cache or the Memory Cache. Maybe the people who suffer most from it can post what those say for them (under Advanced preferences) to get a better idea of what's happening.

Hopefully some of this helpful!

Re: ComicRack Hangs when quickly scrolling through comic pages 4 years 10 months ago #27124

• Oberon1464
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Screenshot 1.png
Oops goofed with the attachment...
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Oberon1464.

Re: ComicRack Hangs when quickly scrolling through comic pages 4 years 10 months ago #27125

• jeroenwalter
  • Gold Boarder
Oberon1464 wrote:
Oops goofed with the attachment...

Well, this is a bugs forum, so you made one :)

Re: ComicRack Hangs when quickly scrolling through comic pages 4 years 10 months ago #27126

• Oberon1464
  • Senior Boarder
LOL:laugh: :laugh:

Re: ComicRack Hangs when quickly scrolling through comic pages 4 years 10 months ago #27127

• Oberon1464
  • Senior Boarder
Ok, thanks Jeroen for you thoughts...

Re: ComicRack Hangs when quickly scrolling through comic pages 4 years 10 months ago #27132

• jeroenwalter
  • Gold Boarder
Edtion wrote:
89,000+ Comics, I have to click the Comicrack startup logo or it'll just sit there pretending to load.
2048MB RAM, so like 650MB was free at crash.

I don't think it's related to the size of your library. I have "only" 11000 comics, but to be sure I tried to reproduce it with a library with only 1 comic. I was able to reproduce this at the 3rd page. Starting at page 1, then scroll with mouse wheel, and bang, ComicRack freezes.

My system is a Intel I5, 8GB Ram, ATI 6870, Windows 7 64bit.

Re: ComicRack Hangs when quickly scrolling through comic pages 4 years 10 months ago #27146

• skeezix
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Since this just seems to be happening on 64-bit Windows, is there a way to force the app to run in 32-bit mode?

Re: ComicRack Hangs when quickly scrolling through comic pages 4 years 10 months ago #27147

• jeroenwalter
  • Gold Boarder
skeezix wrote:
Since this just seems to be happening on 64-bit Windows, is there a way to force the app to run in 32-bit mode?

It's not 64bit related, this also happens to me on my other 32bit windows 7 pc.

Re: ComicRack Hangs when quickly scrolling through comic pages 4 years 10 months ago #27289

• whismerhill
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
when I block comicrack in this way (see my previous post for more details)

once it's frozen/blocked..
I am never ever able to get comicrack to unfreeze just by waiting

now my computer is more than enough to handle things like this : Core I7-2600k 16Go RAM + OS + comicrack on SSD + library on HDD (the latter being recently upgraded to a 3TO 7200)

also I just did a test for the sake of it :
I rared about 700 wallpapers making a rar file of 331MB, renamed it to CBR & opened it
no issue
it's a bit long to read the wallpapers but no issue to report
however it's a very simple archive with some image files, no folders & no other files
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Who's Online

We have 210 guests and 7 members online