Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack bugs to get them squashed

TOPIC: CR .158-172: Comic Rack crashes & the Red X... (Loading new books/pages?)

Re: CR .158-168: Comic Rack crashes & the Red X... (Loading new books/pages?) 4 years 6 months ago #32806

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
SharpZip fixed it for me... Though now i have the problem that it keeps losing my fileless comic covers.. but that's no big deal at all, since my fileless don't stay that way for long.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by T3KN0Gh057.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: CR .158-168: Comic Rack crashes & the Red X... (Loading new books/pages?) 4 years 6 months ago #32807

• Casublett
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:
SharpZip fixed it for me... Though now i have the problem that it keeps losing my fileless comic covers.. but that's no big deal at all, since my fileless don't stay that way for long.

I'll give it a try and report back.

Re: CR .158-168: Comic Rack crashes & the Red X... (Loading new books/pages?) 4 years 6 months ago #33134

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
ok correction, Sharpzip fixed MOST of the problem,all two-page spread covers and pages are still not being displayed other than a big white on Red X

Re: CR .158: Comic Rack has stopped Responding... (Loading new pages?) 4 years 6 months ago #33161

• Gropax
  • Fresh Boarder
you might have the same problem i seem to have my memory usage goes through the roof now and comic rack crashes from lack of memory. when you launch 159 and above what does it says you physical memory is at for some reason starting the other night when i reinstalled windows and put the new comic rack on mine started to crashes all the time. the version i had before was from early January no idea the version number and it worked fine. last night comic rack was trying to use 6.23gb of ram to run, now since i limited the memory to 2gb its using only 234mb guess if you give it everything it wants it all.

Re: CR .158-168: Comic Rack crashes & the Red X... (Loading new books/pages?) 4 years 4 months ago #34857

• KenjiE20
  • Fresh Boarder
Figured I'd weigh in with a bit of info I found. I wasn't getting crashes, but was getting red Xs, so while I doubt this relates to the crashes, and probably only relevant to those files where re-archiving fixed it, it does explain why some zips now load under sharpzip. Taking a closer look at the zips, I noted all the ones that wouldn't load were in UNIX format, rather than DOS or UNIX,DOS

Re: CR .158-168: Comic Rack crashes & the Red X... (Loading new books/pages?) 4 years 4 months ago #34859

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
I worked around both issues by identifying the offending books and by reencoding the jpg files.
I suspect the root of the problem is how CR handles certain types of JPG.

There are a number of variables in jpgs and I havn't tried various types but I use ACDSee to reencode from jpg to jpg and use basic unsophisticated settings. It's also some compensation that recompressing jpg files does not tend to result in added artifacts, which may seen counter intuitive. So, it is actually better to go straight from a problem JPG file to a standardised JPG file than jpg - bmp - jpg.

Whenever I get these types of issues this has always proved the solution, it's just a matter of finding which files are crashing and or not displaying properly. And ACDSee is the most versatile image viewer I know. If it can't view it the file is almost certainly corrupt.

Another thing I do is use winrar to batch test the integrity of my files. It is oten better to just delete any files that have a compression. problem, as retrieving data from them is very inconsistent and time consuming.. Easiest way to do the test is put all files in one place, open one in winrar, within winrar select the "..." Line to view the directory, select all of the archive files and then select test.

If I ever identify the jpg type that causes the issue I'll report back.

Re: CR .158 to .163: Comic Rack crashes & the Red X... (Loading new books/pages?) 4 years 1 month ago #36837

• catweazle
  • Fresh Boarder
DLotR wrote:
Okay, I have two more things to add to this.

Because of this, I was going through my preferences another time, and I noticed that my disk cache for thumbnails and pages (500 MB in both cases) were both nearly full. I purged the cache and then cycled the application. Afterwords, I opened up 3 or 4 comics and used the scroll wheel to page through them each several times from front to back to front with no issues. But eventually there was a crash.

I'm having that problem, too. But that point is nothing new, it's a long lasting problem, even in the actual .172 .

It seems like the defined memory-usage runs to it's borders and after reaching it, neither old cache entries will be purged, nor new comic pages can be opened. Not even a restart of CR clears the cache, only solution seems to cvlear manually inside the settings window.

For me that makes the diskcache totally unusable, so I had to switch it off.

Re: CR .158 to .163: Comic Rack crashes & the Red X... (Loading new books/pages?) 4 years 1 month ago #36838

• Casublett
  • Gold Boarder
Still happens for me :(

Re: CR .158 to .163: Comic Rack crashes & the Red X... (Loading new books/pages?) 4 years 1 month ago #37031

• Casublett
  • Gold Boarder
The crash (not the red X) can happen with .pdf files too, implying that element of this problem isn't archive type/engine related.

The crash problem might become game breaking for me, happening way to much, making my CR experience miserable.

Is there anything I can do to help track this down? There are times I can't browse/open more than 5 books without a crash. It really, really, really sucks... :)
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Casublett.

CR .158-172: Comic Rack crashes & the Red X... (Loading new books/pages?) 3 years 2 months ago #40417

• DLotR
  • Fresh Boarder
Unfortunately, this problem appears to persist in the latest release. Once again, I was just using the mouse wheel to scroll through the pages in a book and suddenly it froze for a second and then crashed with the same error text that's been posted before.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: comicrack.exe
Problem Signature 02: missing
Problem Signature 03: 54006079
Problem Signature 04: cYo.Common
Problem Signature 05: 1.0.5354.22018
Problem Signature 06: 54006075
Problem Signature 07: cad
Problem Signature 08: 0
Problem Signature 09: System.AccessViolationException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 68db
Additional Information 2: 68db3788a92e02161d87b4189138fd22
Additional Information 3: 631e
Additional Information 4: 631ed5924d36f4c7199e2fa22d2c32fb

Read our privacy statement online:
go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds

Who's Online

We have 250 guests and 5 members online