Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack bugs to get them squashed

TOPIC: Frequent crashing in comicRack

Frequent crashing in comicRack 4 years 5 months ago #34701

• mal
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I am having a problem with 64 bit V.169. I have a very large library (97k books) that I run off a networked NAS. I can open books fine, but after I have opened the 3rd or 4th title (previous ones are closed) I get the spinning cursor and then Comicrack crashes. I never had the problem in early .16x versions, but in the later ones it was really bad. .169 is better than the last few versions, but still having issues. It almost seems like the network doesn't deliver the information fast enough, and then the crash. weird thing is once it crashes, and I restart it, I then can't get a second book open and it crashes again. Is anyone else seeing anything like this? If so, is their a fix ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Frequent crashing in comicRack 4 years 3 months ago #36623

• Alpharm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm having an issue where I can sync just fine, but ComicRack Windows crashes after EVERY successful sync. I have to go in, close the error box and restart when I need it to sync again.

Re: Frequent crashing in comicRack 4 years 3 months ago #36625

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Do you keep the iPad connected with USB during sync?
Do you send the error report?

Re: Frequent crashing in comicRack 4 years 3 months ago #36626

• Alpharm
  • Fresh Boarder
Actually, I just do the sync over wifi and don't plug it into USB while syncing.

Re: Frequent crashing in comicRack 4 years 3 months ago #36627

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Does it make a difference you start the sync from the iPad or the PC?
Does it make a difference when you sync a different list of comics?

And please send the crash report :)

Re: Frequent crashing in comicRack 4 years 3 months ago #36634

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
mal wrote:
I am having a problem with 64 bit V.169. I have a very large library (97k books) that I run off a networked NAS. I can open books fine, but after I have opened the 3rd or 4th title (previous ones are closed) I get the spinning cursor and then Comicrack crashes. I never had the problem in early .16x versions, but in the later ones it was really bad. .169 is better than the last few versions, but still having issues. It almost seems like the network doesn't deliver the information fast enough, and then the crash. weird thing is once it crashes, and I restart it, I then can't get a second book open and it crashes again. Is anyone else seeing anything like this? If so, is their a fix ?

To jump back to your point Mal, if it is crashing this frequently I would suggest that you clear your cache files. It is treating the symptom rather than the cure, but as I have recently posted in the feature request section, I believe once Comic Rack crashes during a graphical operation it tends to corrupt the cache, making it far more likely to crash again.

I recently had it crashing as often as you are reporting, and clearing the cache sorted it out. I still get the crashes occasionally but not as frequently.

I was also wondering if it was related to my comics being on my NAS and having copied my entire library onto an internal HDD I am pretty certain that it isn't an issue with network latency. So much so I copied it all back again.

I am convinced the main instability issues are related to file IO issues, possibly HDD cache handling. It is much more likely to crash if I leave on the automatic book update tick box for example,

I have had good experiences using my NAS's native SQL server to handle the database, it speeds things up on the database front and stops crashes from loosing data. If your NAS has this facility it may be worth having a look. Obviously, back up your database first if yo do this, so you can always revert back.

Re: Frequent crashing in comicRack 4 years 3 months ago #36642

• Alpharm
  • Fresh Boarder
cYo wrote:
Does it make a difference you start the sync from the iPad or the PC?
Does it make a difference when you sync a different list of comics?

And please send the crash report :)

I've only ever started the sync from the iPad, and never the PC. I keep the same list to sync each time, unread and a pull list to keep on iPad.

Where is the crash report located? I couldn't seem to find the path for the logs.
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Who's Online

We have 203 guests and 2 members online