Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack bugs to get them squashed

TOPIC: \"Open With...\" from windows explorer

\"Open With...\" from windows explorer 10 years 2 weeks ago #348

• bdowling
  • Fresh Boarder
This should be very easy to implement. When you try to open a file with a particular application, by default it just passes the filename to the .exe on the command line. It would be very useful for me to have this kind of functionality since I would be able to browse around in windows explorer, find the .zip or .rar I want, and then right click on it and select \"Open with\"->\"Comic Rack\".

I'm not sure why this feature doesn't already exist. Maybe I'm \"supposed\" to use the folder browser library manager thing, but I don't care. I'd rather have this little feature just work.

Other than this, CR is great.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:\"Open With...\" from windows explorer 10 years 1 week ago #349

• blacklist
  • Fresh Boarder
This works perfectly well already on my install of XP SP2. Have you gone into your file associations and made sure .cbr, etc are associated with ComicRack properly?

Re:\"Open With...\" from windows explorer 10 years 1 week ago #350

• bdowling
  • Fresh Boarder
All my files are .zip or .rar, so I don't want to change file associations system-wide and I don't particularly want to rename them .cbz/.cbr. However, I have tried to \"Open with...\" and then selected Comic Rack as a viewer. This does not work, but ComicRack.exe shows up in the list of applications I can open with. It will launch Comic Rack, but it won't open the file.

I should have noted that I am using Windows Vista. Not sure if that affects anything.

Re:\"Open With...\" from windows explorer 10 years 1 week ago #351

• bdowling
  • Fresh Boarder
Okay, something weird is happening. If I run a command prompt, and run CR from the CR install directory like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ComicRack>ComicRack.exe \"d:\stuff\somecomic.zip\"

It works fine and loads the comic. However \"Open With...\" doesn't work. Maybe it's a Vista thing?

Re:\"Open With...\" from windows explorer 10 years 1 week ago #352

• bdowling
  • Fresh Boarder
Weird. After messing around with it more, \"Open With...\" is working. I'm just going to consider this one of those weird Vista things and leave it at that. Thanks and sorry for filling up your forum with mysterious Windows problems.

Re:\"Open With...\" from windows explorer 10 years 1 week ago #353

• blacklist
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm pretty sure the Open With.. dialog is controlled by the file associations. You can test it out by renaming one of your files to cbz and see if ComicRack then appears in the dialog. I'm will to bet it will.

Re:\"Open With...\" from windows explorer 10 years 1 week ago #358

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
command line should work.

but there was a bug registering the \"open with...\" handlers. fixes in the next version.
But you can always create your \"Open with...\" links manually with explorer (by selecting comicrack.exe)
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Who's Online

We have 285 guests and 4 members online