Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack bugs to get them squashed

TOPIC: .170 - "Updated" files not always updated

.170 - "Updated" files not always updated 4 years 3 months ago #35326

• ArKay
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Whenever I tag a folder with a couple of cbz archives (>100) I make sure that when I'm done scraping I select all of the files and do an "Update Book Files" from the context menu so that all of the orange "State" icons will disappear (I use the ComicInfo.xml hence cbz instead of cbr files). For me that means that all of the files have been tagged. However, if afterwards I move those files to another folder and open that in ComicRack I see that about 1/3 of those books magically lost their information and turned grey. What happens here? If I move those files with the Library Organizer addon the information seems to stick.

The same seems to happen when I scroll through those just tagged and updated files with the Page Up/Down key, some of those files turn grey and the orange "needs update" icon reappears.

This seems to happen to files which are not currently in view while tagging.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: .170 - "Updated" files not always updated 4 years 3 months ago #35328

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
ComicRack does read pages on demand as this is a very expensive operation.

So e.g. if you've never viewed the file in the browser and the thumbnail needs to be generated, this will lead to reading the page, getting the page dimensions, updating the comic info with this new info, marking the info as dirty.

This is by design.

Re: .170 - "Updated" files not always updated 4 years 3 months ago #35334

• ArKay
  • Senior Boarder
There is nothing wrong with that.

However, I think that consistency > convenience. If there are a 100 freshly scraped comics which I chose to "Update..." right there and then it would be nice if that would happen. Otherwise I have no way of telling when it's safe to move those files somewhere else since the "Needs Update" icon may or may not show. Everything is black and "updated" when in fact it's not.

Are you sure this isn't a bug? I have just tried it on 300 issues of Cerebus. Cleaned, restarted (took a while to exit since it probably deleted the information then), re-scraped, "Update Book Files", all orange icons gone, all files black, all information shown. I quit ComicRack to make sure there were no pending updates (there weren't?), restarted... 1-38 are tagged (about 1 screen here) and 100-190. The other 170 comics are not.

Re: .170 - "Updated" files not always updated 4 years 2 months ago #35654

• ArKay
  • Senior Boarder
Just lost a whole day of tagging ~12.000 comics. I had to exit the application because the layout was messed up and after the restart nearly all of the tags were gone. I had done over 90%. :angry: Nice design.
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by ArKay.

Re: .170 - "Updated" files not always updated 4 years 2 months ago #35763

• ArKay
  • Senior Boarder
So is this being worked on or at least acknowledged??? I have spent another day tagging and organizing those files and again it seems that most of them don't have a ComicInfo.xml even though everything looked OK when I exited.

Re: .170 - "Updated" files not always updated 4 years 2 months ago #35786

I have this problem also. When using SQL Server, there is no way* to know if the database is caught up to the application. If the app crashes, you close it, lose power, whatever... You lose some to all of the work you may have done. It certainly can be quite frustrating. Either it needs to update the database faster (perhaps it could update the mandatory stuff first and any additional stuff as time permits, flagging incomplete records as required... thus mitigating data loss) or there at a minimum needs to be a way to know when the SQL Server database has been completely updated.

* Technically there is a way... you can load up the SQL Server screen and refresh the table and see if the # of records changes... not the most efficient way I would say!

I love this feature of this great app. Hopefully some of the bugs can be worked out so we don't lose data as often as we do.

Re: .170 - "Updated" files not always updated 4 years 2 months ago #35787

To clarify the problem for replication.

1. Scan for comics... use a sizeable # like 200.
2. Let the scan complete... the comics are in the app.
3. Close the app (note there is no warning nothing has not been updated)
4. Open the app again.
5. A random # of between 1 and 200 comics will be listed.

I hope this helps!

Re: .170 - "Updated" files not always updated 4 years 2 months ago #35791

• ArKay
  • Senior Boarder
I'm not using a database but the problem might be related. I convert every comic to cbz (I have written a small program which does that on the fly and also cleans up the archive a little) so that ComicRack will create a ComicInfo.xml inside the archive. That way it's cross platform and I don't have to rely on NTFS filesystem features.

I have an external harddisk which I use for storage and I make little use of the library feature, I only use that for comics I want synced to my tablet. Basically I only want to scrape and organize my comics on the filesystem (Publisher/Series/Issue style).

Lately that hasn't worked so well because CR seems to forget to update those files if there are more than handful of comics in a directory. Whyever that is.

Re: .170 - "Updated" files not always updated 4 years 2 months ago #35812

• ArKay
  • Senior Boarder
Now I'm going through every directory in order to find and fix the unscraped files and have to fight with another bug.

Every 10 minutes I have to kill ComicRack since it deadlocks for no apparant reason while scrolling and selecting files for scraping. The UI is blocked as if it would be showing a modal dialog. :/

Somehow this program doesn't like me.

Re: .170 - "Updated" files not always updated 4 years 2 months ago #36318

• ArKay
  • Senior Boarder
So when are you going to fix this?
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Who's Online

We have 259 guests and 7 members online