Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack bugs to get them squashed

TOPIC: 0.9.175 32bit - Can't open data, lost all comic metadata

0.9.175 32bit - Can't open data, lost all comic metadata 3 years 11 months ago #37362

• mcpierce
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I launched ComicRack this morning on my system (Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit) and got the error message that it could not open the data and it had created a new one.

Once the app launched, no comics were listed. When I went into preferences and told it the location of my files it, it found them all but had NONE of the metadata I had set for the films.

Has this happened to anybody else? Is there any way to recover this data?
Check out The Comic Book Update podcast!
www.comicbookupdate.com/
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 0.9.175 32bit - Can't open data, lost all comic metadata 3 years 11 months ago #37363

• pokeone
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
This actually happened to me fairly recently after a blue screen of death. I got my database back by doing this go to C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\cYo\ComicRack. Find the "ComicDb.xml" file, right click and select "Restore previous versions". There you should find a dated previous version of the "ComicDb.xml" file you can restore. By the way don't forget to close Comicrack before you try this. Once you've done that there is a script which creates a automatic backup each time Comicrack starts up that you can install. You can find it here:

http://comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/13-scripts/31590-backup-manager-for-comicrack-version-10
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by pokeone.

Re: 0.9.175 32bit - Can't open data, lost all comic metadata 3 years 11 months ago #37364

• mcpierce
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you! I'll give that a try when I get home from work tonite! :D

How many versions of the XML are maintained by the system?
www.comicbookupdate.com/
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by mcpierce.

Re: 0.9.175 32bit - Can't open data, lost all comic metadata 3 years 11 months ago #37365

• pokeone
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
This actually relies on the Windows system restore points, so how many versions there are depends on how many restore points there are. When this happened to me I had three, the most recent earlier in the week, the oldest two weeks previous. This morning I checked I had two, from earlier this week.

Re: 0.9.175 32bit - Can't open data, lost all comic metadata 3 years 11 months ago #37370

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
To help protect your metadata in the future, you may also want to turn on the "Allow Writing of Book Info into Files" preference. I described the process here.

Re: 0.9.175 32bit - Can't open data, lost all comic metadata 3 years 11 months ago #37374

• mcpierce
  • Senior Boarder
I don't see any previous versions listed.

(edit)

Fortunately, I do have a backup of it on a drive that runs a daily backup. However, when I restored that and started up ComicRack, it complains that it can't read the database. Any ideas? I want to at least pull in that data and then set it on the cbz files.
www.comicbookupdate.com/
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by mcpierce.

Re: 0.9.175 32bit - Can't open data, lost all comic metadata 3 years 11 months ago #37375

• mcpierce
  • Senior Boarder
Comic Vine Scraper FTW! I installed it and am restoring all of the metadata without having to slog through and type it myself! Outstanding!

Now, for the big question: is there a plugin to use that will convert the files from CBR to CBZ?
www.comicbookupdate.com/

Re: 0.9.175 32bit - Can't open data, lost all comic metadata 3 years 11 months ago #37376

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
Ah you must have allowed writing to comic book files. Great!

To convert to CBZ is very easy. Select a bunch of comics in ComicRack, right click, and choose "Export Books -> Convert to CBZ".

This can take a while (especially if your files are on an external drive) so if you have 1000's of comics, you might want to convert them in smaller groups.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcpierce

Re: 0.9.175 32bit - Can't open data, lost all comic metadata 3 years 11 months ago #37377

• mcpierce
  • Senior Boarder
Excellent! I've been familiar with ComicRack for a few years now, but today I've learned more about managing my comics than ever before! You guys are all a lot of help! Thank you!

I've installed the Scrape Comic Vine plugin to get the meta data. I'm now converting CBRs to CBZs. Next to organize and I'll be happy as a clam. :D
www.comicbookupdate.com/
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Who's Online

We have 232 guests and 6 members online