Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack bugs to get them squashed
  • Page:

TOPIC: Comics stay in memory after closing tab

Comics stay in memory after closing tab 3 years 9 months ago #37856

• Volkoff
  • Fresh Boarder
When after reading a comic and closing it's tab I try to move/delete the comic file through Windows Explorer I get an error saying that the file is still in use. And only after closing ComicRack itself it is possible to move/delete the file.

For a library program (and a great one at that) it's a huge issue, and I hope it'll get fixed.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Comics stay in memory after closing tab 3 years 9 months ago #37929

• fieldhouse
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
can you delete it through ComicRack?

Re: Comics stay in memory after closing tab 3 years 9 months ago #37933

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
ComicRack does not keep Comics open.
Do you experience this with all comics or just with some?

Re: Comics stay in memory after closing tab 3 years 9 months ago #37938

• fieldhouse
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I was assuming the OP meant file handles but that doesn't seem to be the case. I just tried and was able to delete a cbr that CRW had open in read mode. Maybe a virus scanner or something similar that intercepts file read requests?

Re: Comics stay in memory after closing tab 3 years 9 months ago #37940

• Volkoff
  • Fresh Boarder
fieldhouse wrote:
Maybe a virus scanner or something similar that intercepts file read requests?
Unlikely. A software called Unlocker showed that only ComicRack was using the files at that moment.
cYo wrote:
ComicRack does not keep Comics open.
Do you experience this with all comics or just with some?
Strangely enough right now I can't find a single one of those. Either I did something with settings that fixed the issue, or I already removed all the files with the problem (whatever that might have been).
But when this issue did occur, before closing, ComicRack was asking if some information that, apparently, have changed should be written into the comic files that are not in the library. Maybe that's what caused files to be hanging in the memory? What might have been the source of that?

Comics stay in memory after closing tab Update 3 years 8 months ago #38159

• Volkoff
  • Fresh Boarder
Update:
This issue happens after you open a comic file through Windows Explorer, when ComicRack isn't running. When you open it like that, after closing a comic tab, windows won't let you do anithing with the comic file until you close the ComicRack window.

Comics stay in memory after closing tab 3 years 7 months ago #38347

• ianc
  • Fresh Boarder
This happens to me as well running V0.9.175 64-bit on Win7 X64. Does not matter if I open a comic through windows explorer or from the file|open dialog in ComicRack; when I close the program and look in the task manager, comicrack.exe is still a running process using quite a considerable amount of RAM.

I must use 'End Task' to kill the process and free up the memory. I also notice this when I had a comic open in ComicRack, then closed it and tried to rename or delete a file. After killing comicrack.exe, I was able to delete\rename,

ianc

Comics stay in memory after closing tab 3 years 5 months ago #39256

• Volkoff
  • Fresh Boarder
Found the best way to replicate the bug:
When ComicRack isn't running open a comic through Windows Explorer, then close the tab and try to delete directory the comic is in - windows gives you the message that "the folder or a file in it is open in another program".
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Volkoff.

Comics stay in memory after closing tab 3 years 5 months ago #39271

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
Firstly this isn't one of those "The problem dosent exist becuse I havn't got it" posts because I hate those.

I am running the same versions of Windows and ComicRack and I cant replicate this by following those steps.

So on a replication front there is someting different in your setup and mine.

To check a few differences:
1: I am running my database via SQL which isn't a standard setup & probably handles data updates differently. Are you using SQL? (If you dont know what I mean then you are not.)

2: All of my comics are on my NAS which is quite common but not universal practice (may have an influence on the issue). Where are your files?

Also just because windows suggests that the file is being held open by a particular program dosent totally prove that its not also being used and interfered with by somthing else. In other words don't discount the anti-virus theory yet.
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by jkthemac.

Comics stay in memory after closing tab 3 years 5 months ago #39274

• ianc
  • Fresh Boarder
Not using SQL, files reside on the C: drive where Comicrack is installed.
Also just because windows suggests that the file is being held open by a particular program dosent totally prove that its not also being used and interfered with by somthing else

True, but when I kill Comicrack through the taskman, I can then move and delete comic files, so it is in fact comicrack. Quite apart from that, the comicrack.exe executable remains in RAM, consuming memory and CPU when it should have gracefully exited.

Thanks for the post,

Ian
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Who's Online

We have 204 guests and 6 members online