Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack bugs to get them squashed
  • Page:

TOPIC: Comics stay in memory after closing tab

Comics stay in memory after closing tab 3 years 5 months ago #39278

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
For a start I would be tempted to reinstall ComicRack.

Might be worth trying to 'Update all book files' before shutting down and seeing how long it takes.

You could try running without any caching for an experiment.

Are all of your files CBZ or do you have a mixture?

--
Don't want to flog a dead horse but just because you shut down Comicrack and it frees up the file doesn't fully connect it. There could be a clash between Comicrcak and another process, and the operationg system will wait until all processes have freed up the file.

On a hunch, are any of the files ones you have got via a newsreader? I have had simmilar symptoms that ended up being due to Newsrover not releasing the 'save to' folder.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Comics stay in memory after closing tab 3 years 5 months ago #39289

• Volkoff
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm not using SQL.

My comics are on the D:\ drive.

Unlocker shows that only ComicRack is using the files.

My files are usually .cbr (sometimes .cbz) files that are not in my database.

The most curious thing: when you open ComicRack with ComicRack.exe and then open your files, everything goes fine. The problem occurs if you open your files when ComicRack isn't running. It's like Windows mistakes those files for ComicRack executable.

Try the method from my last post (where you're not deleting the comic itself, but the directory it is in). Unlike the other methods this one works each time with every file.

The other methods (where you're trying to delete the comic file itself) depend on how long have you read the comic/how many pages you've turned or something like that - I'm not entirely clear about it. This is usually when ComicRack, upon exit, asks you if some changed information (which I didn't change - I was just reading the comic) should be saved to files.

PS: maybe I should mention that I'm using the 64-bit version of ComicRack.

Comics stay in memory after closing tab 3 years 5 months ago #39304

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Hmm, the odd thing there is that you are using CBR files. This means the info isn't being written into the files at all. But that again is a major difference between your library and mine.

Perhaps my library is just too different to yours for me to replicate the issue.

For example I never get the 'changed info' question so we obviously have very different settings and or setup.

My only other suggestion would be to go to advanced prefs and turn off 'Book files are updated automatically'. For me this option leads to instabilities.

As an aside ComicRack really wants eveything in CBZ, and prefers them in a very standardised format, I found things went much smoother once I stopped resisting this slightly annoying prerequisite (rar is a better format and far more stable even in comicrack) and just changed all of my files using the Export Books facility.

P.S.
For the record I have tried a big CBR file on my PC, and not on my NAS, opened it read to the middle, closed it and comicrack and successfully deleted it's folder. I also tried closing comicrack without closing the book, and tried with auto update on and off. So I am at a loss what else to suggest.
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by jkthemac.

Comics stay in memory after closing tab 3 years 5 months ago #39309

• Volkoff
  • Fresh Boarder
jkthemac wrote:
My only other suggestion would be to go to advanced prefs and turn off 'Book files are updated automatically'. For me this option leads to instabilities.
That was the first thing I tried. To my big surprise it didn't help at all.
jkthemac wrote:
For example I never get the 'changed info' question
It doesn't show every time. That's exactly the 'I'm not entirely clear about' part.
jkthemac wrote:
As an aside ComicRack really wants eveything in CBZ
Because of RAR write licensing restrictions. Yes, I heard about it (though why it couldn't use my installed Winrar I still don't get). The files that are in my library are cbz. The cbr files are the ones I mostly haven't read yet, so they're not yet in my library, and some of them I delete after reading (most of them, actually).
jkthemac wrote:
closed it and comicrack and successfully deleted it's folder.
And that's where you misunderstood me. You need to try to delete the folder when ComicRack is still running, not when it's closed. That is exactly where the problem lies.

PS: also it's very important that you open a comic file with ComicRack closed.
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Volkoff.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds

Who's Online

We have 344 guests and 5 members online