Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack bugs to get them squashed

TOPIC: A Device Attached to the System is not Functioning

A Device Attached to the System is not Functioning 3 years 2 months ago #40421

I did a virus scan, deleted some stuff, now ComicRack wont boot, it gives the error: "A Device Attached to the System is not Functioning"

I tried reinstalling to no avail, i tried blowing up all of the program's registry keys after uninstalling and installing fresh again and got the same error. Uninstalled, deleted reg keys, installed version .90 and it STILL wont boot.

I've tried rolling back and nothing, i've tried sfc /scannow and nothing, i've updated windows and i've gotten the latest .net framework, same error. I've installed on a different hard drive on the same system, same error.

I really dont want to uninstall and reinstall my OS to fix this, any tips? Any idea on how to find out what the program wants to find to fire up?

I'm on windows 7 if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A Device Attached to the System is not Functioning 3 years 2 months ago #40430

Update: I found what ComboFix blew up:

c:\program files (x86)\CostMin
c:\program files (x86)\CostMin\GQdFUSLg.dat
c:\programdata\CostMin
c:\programdata\CostMin\UMJRH2jHD.dat

It looked like spyware to me, but maybe its related? I have no idea what dependencies ComicRack has, so maybe at the very least someone can confirm or deny that this is related to the issue.

A Device Attached to the System is not Functioning 3 years 2 months ago #40431

for some reason a couple restarts fixed it, thanks anyway

A Device Attached to the System is not Functioning 3 years 2 months ago #40432

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
I think that no one touched this thread because none of the problems you reported were caused by comicrack. By what you posted on the second post, it does seem like spyware had corrupted (or hijacked) some of the system dlls. Comicrack crashing was a symptom, not a cause.

I still wouldn't trust the system at this point.

Google for a utility called "autoruns" by microsoft's sysinternals team and run it, then look for any files that do not have a signature (they should show up as red entries on the big list that will show up). Any of those files on suspicious locations (like running from the temp folder, or having paths with just a bunch of random names, or called ThisIsNotASuspiciousFolder are probably still spyware/virus entries and should be deleted.

fK
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, oraclexview
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Who's Online

We have 268 guests and 3 members online