Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack bugs to get them squashed
  • Page:

TOPIC: very very slow pairing with devices and synchronizing devices

very very slow pairing with devices and synchronizing devices 2 years 1 day ago #43734

• tosione
  • Fresh Boarder
When I try to pair a new device on CRW (via Wifi or USB), it takes a very very long time "Searching all connected Devices for installed ComicRack clients", something about 10...15 minutes. The same happens when synchronizing (once paired with the device).

When doing so, my PCs hard-disk is rattling all the time, as if it were searching on this hard-disk, and its the only program active. When it ends the hard-diskc rattling ends. It must be searching something on my D: drive (where my comics are), since my C: drive is a silent SSD.

I looked at my task manager an the app that is taking most disk usage when this happens is: "Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Host Process" (around 80% of activity time of drive D, and 10 MB/s). In fact, if I watch the resource monitor I can see how the system is accessing a lot different files on my D: drive (its a huge and full drive, so I can see how it works trought the A-Z folders). When it finishes the Z, the hard-disk rattling stops and the "Select Device" window of CRW appears.
So, without doubt, there is something related between CRW searching devices and the D: disk search.

I tried this with a fresh installation of CRW, but nothing changes.

Some months ago everything was working ok, so I suspect there can be something with the new version of CRW (0.9.177).

I use:
-Windows 8.1 64bit in spanish, totally updated.
-ComicRack 0.9.177
Last Edit: 2 years 1 day ago by tosione.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

very very slow pairing with devices and synchronizing devices 2 years 1 day ago #43735

• tosione
  • Fresh Boarder
I Just tried with ComicRack 0.9.176 that I found here www.afterdawn.com/software/version_history.cfm/comicrack, and it worked correctly, like before.
In order to use it as a clean portable installation I decompressed it with UniExtract and converted into portable by un-commenting the "UseLocalSettings = true" line from ComicRack.ini.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 day ago by tosione.

very very slow pairing with devices and synchronizing devices 2 years 22 hours ago #43736

• squeedps
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I just want to ask, how old is your D: drive and what type of connection to the motherboard does it have? 10MB/s seems unreasonably slow and hearing rattling makes me think that your drive might be on it's last legs. I say this because I had a drive that had about 25000 hours on it before it started making some ugly noises and having a slow read time with CRW. Once I replaced it with a brand new drive, CRW read the files like it was nothing and no noise. I have a similar setup as you with my primary drive as a SSD.

very very slow pairing with devices and synchronizing devices 2 years 22 hours ago #43737

• tosione
  • Fresh Boarder
First of all: with the older version of CRW (0.9.176 ), nothing of this happens.

I admit, the disk is not the newest, but its works perfectly well for everything I use. With rattling I mean the typical noise every mechanical HD does when working, nothing specially worrying. I consider normal that it takes some time when searching the whole disk (without indexing), but CRW should not do that when pairing devices or syncing devices!

So I see clearly that this is not a HD problem.

very very slow pairing with devices and synchronizing devices 1 year 10 months ago #44188

• tosione
  • Fresh Boarder
I don't know if you are working on this bug, but hopefully you are :unsure:, because the only solution up to today was to downgrade to 0.9.176, and I love to stay updated :P.
Looking at the changes made at 0.9.0177 I found the "Extended search depth to find connected USB devices". Maybe it has something to do with this behaviour?

very very slow pairing with devices and synchronizing devices 1 year 10 months ago #44229

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
ComicRack only searches removable harddisks for syncing. So a built in HD should not be searched.
Maybe I'll add a exception list in comicrack.ini

very very slow pairing with devices and synchronizing devices 1 year 7 months ago #45052

• tosione
  • Fresh Boarder
I tried v0.9.178 and the problem still remains.
It's impossible to sync in a reasonable time (>10 min) even if there are no changes to sync.

Is it planed to investigate any improvement or must I stay with 0.9.176?

very very slow pairing with devices and synchronizing devices 1 year 3 months ago #45856

• ArKay
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
"only removable harddisks", I have 4 USB drives attached so initiating a sync from the PC is kinda pointless with this software.

very very slow pairing with devices and synchronizing devices 1 year 1 week ago #46268

• Mankoto
  • Fresh Boarder
Kinda reviving this topic because I recently had a similar issue (don't know if I should've started a new thread instead).
About 1/2 weeks ago I started experiencing some heavy delay (5+ minutes every single time) in the discovery of my android devices when trying to synchronize through Wifi.
I only found out today that the cause of this was because I forgot to unplug a USB HardDrive on my PC and comicrack was actively scanning the whole disk during all this waiting time (I never noticed because my computer is under my desk and this HDD is quite silent).
While I found a workaround, would it be possible to add a feature to "tag" devices that should not be scanned? Or even an option to disable USB synchronization as a whole (as I'm only using wifi 99% of the time)?

very very slow pairing with devices and synchronizing devices 1 year 1 week ago #46269

• ArKay
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Would be easier to configure the one device we actually want to sync with. No idea why it has to search locally first each time. It's faster if you start sync from your tablet, then it doesn't do that search.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Who's Online

We have 182 guests and 6 members online