TOPIC: manually tagged CBZ in other application

manually tagged CBZ in other application 9 years 9 months ago #744

• Ludwig
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
A bug??

I don't think it's bothering anyone.
But i thought i'll mention it.

When I (you?) create nfo ( via 'info' or Get Info) in a zip-file and then choose "Save e-comic as' (eComic Zip) the file transforms to a CBZ-file on my system.
And, very important, works in ComicRack.
But i noticed that such a file cannot be accessed anymore with CDisplay (Fatal error in UnzDll.DLL:abort exception).
A program that i seldom use, but I got a duplicata from a file and wanted to check it with the one I already had (other source).
I noticed it wouldn't open and was curious why.
I checked other cbz's that were tagged and found out that the problem only comes up with files that I manually tagged.
The one that were created via Sharkus great but killed script all work fine !!.
FYI when I choose 'Save .. (JPEG folder) and manually zip it to ZIP or CBZ it's ok.
Also when i transform the 'corrupt' CBZ (seen from CDisplay that is) to zip it works again?

It seems to me that something goes wrong during the 'Save e-comic as' (eComic Zip)-procedure.

If it's ComicRack, or the archiversoftware or CDisplay.. i don't know.

Well i repeat it, what's important is that it works in ComicRack :o)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:manually tagged CBZ in other application 9 years 9 months ago #745

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
I once checked this issue about CDisplay crashing with ZIPs created by ComicRack.
I tested the ComicRack generated zips with various programs (7zip, WinRar etc) and they all verified them as 100% valid. CDisplay crashes with them. So for me this is a CDisplay issue (a program not supported for 3 years?)

Re:manually tagged CBZ in other application 9 years 9 months ago #752

• Brainard
  • Fresh Boarder
I aggree that it's a cdisplay issue, and that the creator of comicrack can do nothing about cdisplay's flaws, BUT....

If I create a cbz with comicrack and want to share it with the world (no i do not necessarily mean the illegal comics, but cbz's that contain my own copyrighted material) I find that a lot of people still use cdisplay, and report the files as broken.

I understand that the creator cannot change anything about cdisplay's behavior, but i Still would like to see this issue solved as it would greatly improve comicracks functionality. Now this option is useless if you want to share the converted files with other people who do not use comicrack, but cdisplay.

Re:manually tagged CBZ in other application 9 years 9 months ago #753

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
make CBTs :P

Re:manually tagged CBZ in other application 9 years 9 months ago #755

• wadegiles
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
it would greatly improve comicracks functionality
I disagree. This would make ComicRack noncompliant in order to maintain interoperability with unsupported and obsolete software.

If a software application decides to use a well-documented and accepted format, ZIP compression, then it should play well with correctly implemented versions of software using the same format.
share the converted files with other people who do not use comicrack, but cdisplay.
The best solution is to use whatever is built into CDisplay to overcome it's own limitations. That application allows you to browse folders for images. Extract the CBZs to folders that CDisplay can then view. Or use a format which CDisplay implements correctly like CBR or CBT as cYo suggests.
Last Edit: 9 years 9 months ago by wadegiles.

Re:manually tagged CBZ in other application 9 years 7 months ago #905

I have this problem as well and are annoyed by it. I have some extra info which I hope might bring some enlightenment.

Until recently I used Winzip 8.0. If I converted a file to .cbz from ComicRack then WinZip omitted and error when I tried to extract any files from the archive. It said the file was not ZIP 2.0 compliant.

After I upgraded til Winzip 11.0 I am now able to extract the file correctly. And if I compress the cbz using WinZip 11 CDisplay works fine.

So in conclusion I think that ComicRack is using some feature in the ZIP standard that is pretty new or non-standard since these old programs cannot open it.
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Who's Online

We have 237 guests and 3 members online