Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack bugs to get them squashed
  • Page:

TOPIC: An update is running in the background... ??

An update is running in the background... ?? 9 years 9 months ago #990

• 77Cubes
  • Fresh Boarder
First of all, great program. Thanks for your excellent work.

I am getting a small animated icon at the bottom (paper with pencil icon) When I mouse over the icon it states "An update is running in the background..." but nothing seems to be happening and my CPU Usage is at 100%. It never stops. Didn't know if this was a bug or not so I posted here.

When I double click the icon a window box pops up with nothing running in it. Before I noticed it was updating hash marks and thumbnails (not sure why it was running as I didn't tell it do anything). Now even with nothing shown in the window (it says 0 tasks), my CPU processing is at 100%. I did notice that when I scroll through my lists and I open the window it shows it's updating thumbnails with X amount of tasks even though I don't have thumbnails showing except for the corner viewer.

I did previously install 9.77 but uninstalled when I saw you pulled it, I have since installed version 9.79. It is happening with 9.79. Not sure if 9.77 has anything to do with it.

I'm not going to uninstall 9.79 so if you have questions or want me to try something let me know.

77cubes
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:An update is running in the background... ?? 9 years 9 months ago #992

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Anybody special: comics on CDs, network drives, read only files? Just guessing around as normally you SHOULD see the file that causes the update in the popup...

anybody else with the same problem?

Re:An update is running in the background... ?? 9 years 9 months ago #993

• Cutter
  • Fresh Boarder
I am getting that as well but I assumed it is a planned activity. When I double click the icon he is referring to I get that I have "XXXX" tasks running and more specifically, ComicRack is updating hash values.

The task number is decreasing as it updates so I am assuming that once the hash values are updating the background task will desist.

I am getting high processor, as well as high mem, usage while the tasks runs.
Last Edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Cutter.

Re:An update is running in the background... ?? 9 years 9 months ago #994

• Cutter
  • Fresh Boarder
Update:

After a half hour, there is only one task but it's persistent. It keeps alternating between updating a hash value of two particular ecomics. Processor usage is pegged and my drive is constantly being pinged. Hag to shut down ComicRack.

FYI... All my ecomics are on a portable USB external drive.

Re:An update is running in the background... ?? 9 years 9 months ago #996

• cYo
remove these two files from your library. They fail to hash and currently ComicRack just tries again in this case.

Normally this means that there is something wrong with the files.

The new hash algorithm is not very tolerant it seems...

Re:An update is running in the background... ?? 9 years 9 months ago #998

• xzbachan
  • Senior Boarder
0979 Bug report

Freezes, CR Settings: my CR have completed library scan (also unchecked boxed on track scan in library) so no process there. No removable (USB DVD or CD) items, no shared library, so I got normal browsing/reading situation. But I still could hear my Processor Fan churning up (it happens when my PC got a heavy workload) followed by CR freezing up, it doesn't crash or hangs, just freeze for 5 sec or more (probably thanks to my 2 Gig mem).

Happens frequently, like every 5 minutes. Causing disruption on simple reading. Downgraded my version back to 0976.

Re:An update is running in the background... ?? 9 years 9 months ago #999

• {Oo}
  • Platinum Boarder
  • The Chewie is a lie !
  • Thank you received: 41
Just upgraded my 0.9.76 to the new 0.9.79, for the translation, and I have exactly the same problem as 77Cubes. I nuked all my cached thumbnails and pages just in case. Then, I restarted ComicRack and as soon as the scan of my library was finished the cpu usage of ComicRack went through the roof. From 10/15% to 60/65%. Which means with a dual core that a whole core is used by ComicRack and never stops. I left it running for 1hour +- just in case but no changes.
Working on re-uploading the FR manuals.

Re:An update is running in the background... ?? 9 years 9 months ago #1000

• cYo
freezes: yes seems to be the background saving of the library. I'll look into it.

Hashing: There is a problem with the new hash algorythm. I guess i move back to the old one.
Last Edit: 9 years 9 months ago by cYo.

Re:An update is running in the background... ?? 9 years 9 months ago #1003

• Cutter
  • Fresh Boarder
cYo wrote:
remove these two files from your library. They fail to hash and currently ComicRack just tries again in this case.

Normally this means that there is something wrong with the files.

The new hash algorithm is not very tolerant it seems...

I checked the two files and one of them was corrupt so I deleted it. The other seemed to work just fine when I opened it in other comic book readers including ComicRack. I basically repacked the file and it now passes the hash check.

Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem as there still appears to be a task running in the background although nothing is listed in the task dialog.(See image)

I have downgraded to .9.76 to see if I that fixes the problem.

Re:An update is running in the background... ?? 9 years 9 months ago #1004

• cYo
next release removes the hashing all together. was only used in scanning updates anyway.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds

Who's Online

We have 779 guests and 3 members online