Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: [Script Request] Barcode Scanner

[Script Request] Barcode Scanner 7 years 2 months ago #10258

• bugger
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Relatled to my post of this thread. I would like to request a barcode scanner script for inputing real books.

I imagine it would just be a simple text input field box;
most scanners just input as plain text, the cuecat that I use dosn't but here is a premade script;
then after the user clicks "ok" it would then run the barcode numbers through google base
;here and here is some info on that;
this gets some basic info like name that can be written to fileless comics.

Hope this info helps someone make a awsome script and sorry I am not smart enough to do it myself. :S
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:[Script Request] Barcode Scanner 7 years 2 months ago #10275

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 268
There are several problems with this:

1. Google Base for comics is very incomplete. Many of the test searches I ran came up with few to no results.

2. Comic book series use the same upc for every issue. For example the search for the upc of one of the robin issues brings up the entire(but incomplete) robin run. For entering issues from large series a large list would be brought up that you'd have to choose the correct issue from.

Comic books use a second barcode to identify issue numbers but, as far as I can tell, Base doesn't store this.

3. The terms and conditions (section 1.3) states that you cannot store or scrape the content found on Base.

I looked around but couldn't find a comparable database, ComicVine certainly doesn't store these.

Re:[Script Request] Barcode Scanner 7 years 2 months ago #10286

• bugger
  • Senior Boarder
Stonepaw wrote:
There are several problems with this:

1. Google Base for comics is very incomplete. Many of the test searches I ran came up with few to no results.
Darn without a better database people are stuck typing in the names of each book. It's a shame because when I categorized my DVD's via "All My Movies" I scanned in 180 DVDs/Box Sets in less than 40 minuets with all the info scraped from IMDB. I wonder what Bases' accuracy rate is for just getting names, odds are that if a obsesive collector has volume 1 of comic book he has all of it. I did however have the thought that for updating what you buy on a weekly basis Weekly Comic Releases could scan for existing fileless comics, check for new issues and popup a message asking if you want to add them.
2. Comic book series use the same upc for every issue. For example the search for the upc of one of the robin issues brings up the entire(but incomplete) robin run. For entering issues from large series a large list would be brought up that you'd have to choose the correct issue from.

Comic books use a second barcode to identify issue numbers but, as far as I can tell, Base doesn't store this.
Wouldn't it then just be a simple matter to convert the second barcode to the issue number?(Base gets the name, Converter script gets the issue)
3. The terms and conditions (section 1.3) states that you cannot store or scrape the content found on Base.
Reading section 1.3 I understand it as OK as long as the results are "Real-Time Queries" and not store through a middleman service, the word scrape is used here in the context of trying to take all the data in Base instead of just the small amount the script would really need.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by bugger. Reason: spelling

Re:[Script Request] Barcode Scanner 7 years 2 months ago #10298

• RevQuixo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
Number 2 as stated above wouldn't be an issue with a good barcode reader that can read UPC-5 format..the "extra barcode" is just an extension of the first part as far as a reader is concerned.

Re:[Script Request] Barcode Scanner 7 years 2 months ago #10306

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 268
RevQuixo wrote:
Number 2 as stated above wouldn't be an issue with a good barcode reader that can read UPC-5 format..the "extra barcode" is just an extension of the first part as far as a reader is concerned.
It's worth a try I'll start writing this. A quick question as I don't have a barcode reader. Is the UPC-5 scanned at the same time as the UPC or separately?

Re:[Script Request] Barcode Scanner 7 years 2 months ago #10315

• bugger
  • Senior Boarder
It's worth a try I'll start writing this. A quick question as I don't have a barcode reader. Is the UPC-5 scanned at the same time as the UPC or separately?
In my experience the scanner just gives more numbers, all at once.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by bugger.

Re:[Script Request] Barcode Scanner 7 years 2 months ago #10317

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Just to give this thing further reason: next release of ComicRack will have all those nice fields used by paper comic collecting software :)

Re:[Script Request] Barcode Scanner 7 years 2 months ago #10322

• RevQuixo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
Stonepaw wrote:
RevQuixo wrote:

UPC-5 is actually the format for the entire barcode including the sub-barcode.

Barcodes are pretty interesting as you can get quite a bit of information from them:

Dark Wolverine 83:

Dark Wolverine 84:

Deadpool # 26

So from just the barcode you can figure out the publisher the series and the issue (for modern Marvel comics at least):

759606 = Marvel
054589 = Dark Wolverine
08311 = issue 83

759606 = Marvel
064076 = Deadpool
02611 = Issue 26

It looks like smaller publishers don't follow the same scheme but you can still get the Publisher from the first 6 digits. (UPCs by all manufacturers use the same prefix be it for comics, books, video games, soda, food, etc) Once you know the prefix..you know the manufacturer.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by RevQuixo.

Re:[Script Request] Barcode Scanner 7 years 2 months ago #10323

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
cYo wrote:
Just to give this thing further reason: next release of ComicRack will have all those nice fields used by paper comic collecting software :)
This is great :cheer:

When should we expect the next version ?
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re:[Script Request] Barcode Scanner 7 years 2 months ago #10327

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
This weekend.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Who's Online

We have 256 guests and 2 members online