Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: Script for importing non-supported files into ComicRack

Script for importing non-supported files into ComicRack 7 years 1 month ago #10760

• repan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hello,
I built this little script to address the issue of using ComicRack with file formats not yet supported natively (like .chm, .lit, .epub, .txt, etc). It's functional, but not very fancy yet. It does the job though.

It expects to find the ComicDb.xml in it's default position. Searches for the directories added in the library. Parses each directory for files not yet present in ComicRack.

For each file adds a fileless entry in ComicRack with the Web field pointing to the actual file. Scraps google images for the filename. The first entry returned is used as thumbnail in ComicRack. Clicking the web link from the entry info opens the file in the default assigned windows application.

This is it until now.

Thanks to cYo for his beautiful work.

Attachment not found

Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by repan.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Script for importing non-supported files into ComicRack 7 years 1 month ago #10764

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
This is just GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, now CR is also the best e-library soft!

Re: Script for importing non-supported files into ComicRack 7 years 1 month ago #10778

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
:)

Do you need a new man-servant around the house?

Thanks,
fK

Re: Script for importing non-supported files into ComicRack 7 years 1 month ago #10782

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
+1 well-deserved karma to you repan..:)

This is a good beginning of what , hopefully, will be an excellent script.

My suggestions:

1. The Cancel button should be active in the initial window, sop that if we do not wish to scrape at that time, we can cancel the operation. Currently, we have to use the cross button.

2. Once the scrape is completed, the start button should be inactive.

3. There should be a configuration window somewhere (similar to the comicvine scraper ?) from which we can choose which file formats we would like to include in the scrape. Look what it gave me..;)

4. A good icon for the script in the menu would look very nice

5. A little description in the script tab of the preferences dialog should be added.

That's all I can think of for now.. more later ;)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Script for importing non-supported files into ComicRack 7 years 1 month ago #10795

• repan
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,
For now I chose to remove the script from the forum because I just find out it does not comply with google TOS. Wicked text this TOS:
www.google.com/accounts/TOS

"You specifically agree not to access (or attempt to access) any of the Services through any automated means (including use of scripts or web crawlers) and shall ensure that you comply with the instructions set out in any robots.txt file present on the Services."

Probably if you use google services in a crawler without having an account the TOS does not apply, because you agree with the TOS when you make an google account :) But anyway, to avoid any legal problems I decided not to continue with the script in this form. I will try to change it in a way that does not infringe any TOS.
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by repan.

Re: Script for importing non-supported files into ComicRack 7 years 1 month ago #10796

• 600WPMPO
repan wrote:
Hello,
For now I chose to remove the script from the forum because I just find out it does not comply with google TOS... I will try to change it in a way that does not infringe any TOS.
So, instead of moving forward, we are back at point none.. That's bad :(

Sigh.. well, here is the page I made for the script:

The script has great potential, and would be one the finest additions for comicrack. Please try to release a "non-google-offending" version soon (before the release of the manual)..

Re: Script for importing non-supported files into ComicRack 7 years 1 month ago #10797

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
May i suggest picking the cover from amazon instead?

(edit)

Check this out instead:
openlibrary.org/

and specifically:
openlibrary.org/developers

fK
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by forkicks.

Re: Script for importing non-supported files into ComicRack 7 years 1 month ago #10805

• repan
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the suggestion. I knew about openlibrary already. Also librarything is offering their free API for covers fetching. I will include these in the plugin.

The initial solution with google was quick and dirty and it offered instant success in most of the cases, even for books in languages other than english and books without isbn. You wont find many books in let's say bulgarian in openlibrary. Maybe this google TOS thing is good in the end for openlibrary ... I can only hope that people who cannot find a book in openlibrary will add it.

Re: Script for importing non-supported files into ComicRack 6 years 10 months ago #11751

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Hi, any updates on this script?

Thanks!

Re: Script for importing non-supported files into ComicRack 6 years 10 months ago #11752

• 600WPMPO
@perezmu: Isn't the Antiquariat script the updated version of this script? :unsure:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Who's Online

We have 409 guests and one member online