Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: [REQUEST] - Auto-create fileless from ComicVine scraper

[REQUEST] - Auto-create fileless from ComicVine scraper 6 years 11 months ago #10835

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
I figured this would need a new thread, but I'll be ahppy to add to the official scraper thread if that's better.

/anyhow, what I'd LOVE to see is a script (or perhaps an addon to the scraper) that will allow me, while scraping, to automatically create fileless comics from the results.

Practical example:

I just read the latest issue of Green Hornet, and, while scraping, I noticed s***loads of miniseries, one-shots, etc, that I'd like to get my hands on. Being able to select a whole series, or multiple ones, from the scraper results window, and creating fileless entries with a click or two would be awesome.
Maybe if this picks up we could have a way to invoke a CV search without having to scrape data for a specific issue. Maybe a File>Automation>Search ComicVine or something like that...

Any ideas?
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: [REQUEST] - Auto-create fileless from ComicVine scraper 6 years 11 months ago #10837

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
That might work if there was a way for ComicRack to invoke CVS in two different "modes" -- i.e. at the moment the scraper starts running, I need to be able to tell the difference between a request to "Scrape these Comics" and a request to "Just let me Browse the Comic Vine database (and maybe add some fileless entries while I'm in there.)"

If the scraper add-on could be invoked in "scrape mode" OR in "browse mode", then I could make it have slightly different buttons, behaviour, etc, depending on which mode it is running in. But at this point, I don't know if there's any way to invoke CVS in two different 'modes' like that.

Re: [REQUEST] - Auto-create fileless from ComicVine scraper 6 years 11 months ago #10841

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
I think I get what you mean, cbanack. The "let me search ComicVine" has a quick workaround (at least, that's how I've been doing it, but I'm not sure this would even be functional - I create a single fileless entry with a generic name - for example "Green Hornet" - and just launch a scrape, and then get the results),

I've found myself doing this a few times lately, and figured, if doable, that it would be a great addition, but obviously I understand that it could pose some coding issues.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: [REQUEST] - Auto-create fileless from ComicVine scraper 6 years 11 months ago #10847

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I like the idea (the CVS is practically a ComicVine browser already, and it would be WAY easier to add fileless entries if you could just browse around with the scraper while you do it do it.)

But I do think it's important to separate that "browse/add fileless" functionality from the regular "scrape" functionality. That's why I'd want the scraper to be able to run in one mode or the other--i.e. maybe you'd choose "Browse ComicVine..." from a menu, and it would launch the scraper in browse mode, or you'd select some comics and choose "Comic Vine Scraper..." to launch it in the regular scraper mode.

If cYo knows of (or can create) a way to make the Scraper do this (preferably one that doesn't involve me writing and maintaining two separate yet largely identical scripts! :P ) then I'd be happy to look into this further.

---

As for your quick workaround, I think there is an even quicker one: If you add a *single* fileless comic, the Comic Info dialog will appear to let you specify details about that comic before you add it...there's a CVS button at the bottom that you can use to launch the scraper, and then when you are done browsing, you just cancel back out of the info dialog--then nothing ever gets added to your database. :cheer:
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by cbanack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kenjio

Re: [REQUEST] - Auto-create fileless from ComicVine scraper 6 years 11 months ago #10848

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
Agreed - being able to launch the script in 2 different modes would be awesome :D

Let's sit tight and see if cYo can offer any insight on this.

Oh, and nice tip for the workaround - I hadn't thought of it :P
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: [REQUEST] - Auto-create fileless from ComicVine scraper 6 years 11 months ago #10850

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
kenjio wrote:
Oh, and nice tip for the workaround - I hadn't thought of it :P
Yes.. a very intelligent thought that holds a lot of potential..
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Who's Online

We have 206 guests and 7 members online