Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: Chronowerks Comics Scripts

Re:Chronowerks Comics Scripts 8 years 9 months ago #2674

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I have also been submitting data where I find it lacking, and think some kind of consensus on best practices is a good idea.

I've also been writing summaries where they're lacking, and while that's not a big deal, I've also been listing characters, and that might be an issue where they fail to match up. I fear a consensus on THAT point is probably impossible...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Chronowerks Comics Scripts 8 years 9 months ago #2755

• greenlanternprime
  • Expert Boarder
  • Me Grimlock.. Bad Ass!
Voluming is a big problem, as some people disagree on what a volume is, there are loads of examples that I have found, but none that i can think of at the moment :(

I do need to update the apporval process and some other bits and pieces.. just need tot find the time.

Re:Chronowerks Comics Scripts 8 years 8 months ago #2903

• Alan Scott
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Shinrai - Hi, I know you posted here about a month ago but I just kept forgetting to respond. I'm working pretty hard on my database, so if I post here it's usually for selfish reasons, like asking for help or a new feature :P .

I haven't submitted anything yet, partly because I want GLP to be satisfied with his site, but mostly because I want my info to be complete and solid, then pass the whole thing on to him. My DC & Marvel universe stuff is just about complete, including Golden Age. Since I can find lots of dates, I try to concentrate on having complete credits (as much as history will allow) for the feature story, and as complete a listing of characters as needed,meaning any characters that are important or recurring. I've been trying to use CBDB's naming format, because it takes the guesswork out of my process. I have to correct some for ComicRack, because ComicRack uses commas to separate the characters. So "Robin (01 - Dick Grayson, E-1 & Post-Crisis)" I changed to "Robin (01 - Dick Grayson (E-1 & Post-Crisis))", or "Ray, The (01 - Langford Terrill)" to "The Ray (01 - Langford Terrill)". If cYo has a solution to that, then I would probably just leave them as-is, as again it takes that work off of me, having to come up a proper listing. I can't think how anything I would do could look any different. Besides, they seem to have a listing for every character except a few that only appeared a handful of times. If this is agreeable to you, I'd go with that.

As for volumes, as GLP mentioned? WHEW. That's the one I've yet to work out for myself. Should I count every series, regardless of publisher? By that, Blue Beetle is on volume 7. Separately by publisher? By that measure then it's currently volume two. Which is right? Does it include both limited and monthly series? Elektra has both, what's the right way to list it? I can see the merits to all sides here, so maybe that's a better discussion, because if a concensus can be reached I'll know what I should number things going forward.

I'd like to know, is anyone working on Manga data out there? I ask because I'm not a big fan, but I know some of you are, and I don't want to see you left out in the cold.
... The failure to appreciate... is perfectly understandable, because the readership never evaluates old material in the context of the cultural climate in which it was created, or the state of the art at the time it was created.
Marty Pasko

Re:Chronowerks Comics Scripts 8 years 8 months ago #2997

• Nutah
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm working on my manga database and it's quite a hazzle to organize them but on the other hand it's kinda easy because all the chapters and/or volumes are from one author and from one publisher so it works more or less. Just needed to do some smartlists etc.
But sofar I didn't use any script for summing up volumes or chapters , which I should and wanted to try for some time.

Greetings
Nutah

Re:Chronowerks Comics Scripts 8 years 7 months ago #3138

• thetrout
  • Fresh Boarder
Bumping this up for two reasons. First, I just need to say how awesome this script is. It works great 95% of the time. Second, I've hit a problem: I'm trying to import info on the "What If...?" Marvel comics. The online interface for the database says it should be there (for both 1977 and 1989), but when I try to use the script in ComicRack, those series aren't present. The script presents me with a list of "What If" comic series from which to pull information, but neither "What If...? (1977)" nor "What If...? (1989)" are listed! They're in the online database, but not appearing when using the script in ComicRack. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Re:Chronowerks Comics Scripts 8 years 7 months ago #3189

• silkshadow
  • Fresh Boarder
I made it through the first half dozen pages but I didn't see an answer to this. Please, forgive me if if its already been answered.

How do I tell the script that the comic I am trying to pull data for is an Annual? I am having a ton of trouble with this. The one I am working on are Batman annuals. The files are named simply (as per a suggested structure in another thread):

Batman Annual #1
Batman Annual #2

In the get info thing, I select Annual as the format. I put annual in every field that it makes sense in, but the script keeps pulling the data for Batman #1 instead.

What is the trick to telling teh script that this is an annual?

Thanks!

Re:Chronowerks Comics Scripts 8 years 7 months ago #3194

• mr.clix
  • Junior Boarder
  • Bang! Bang!
silkshadow wrote:
I made it through the first half dozen pages but I didn't see an answer to this. Please, forgive me if if its already been answered.

How do I tell the script that the comic I am trying to pull data for is an Annual? I am having a ton of trouble with this. The one I am working on are Batman annuals. The files are named simply (as per a suggested structure in another thread):

Batman Annual #1
Batman Annual #2

In the get info thing, I select Annual as the format. I put annual in every field that it makes sense in, but the script keeps pulling the data for Batman #1 instead.

What is the trick to telling teh script that this is an annual?

Thanks!
Add annual to the issue number. It will then prompt you to choose which issue it really is. My advice is to then add annual back into the # field afterward, it helps with sorting issues I ran into.

Re:Chronowerks Comics Scripts 8 years 7 months ago #3201

• silkshadow
  • Fresh Boarder
Ah, thanks! I didn't even realize that field supported non-numeral characters. That works. Its a bit time consuming doing it one by one but it fixes my problem.

Thanks again!

Re:Chronowerks Comics Scripts 8 years 6 months ago #3263

• silkshadow
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello again, I ma having a problem with comics that have a name with "." in it. For example:

L.E.G.I.O.N.
R.e.b.e.l.s.

In the DB it is unfortunately listed with the "." but the script cannot search with the "." is there any way to work around this?

Thanks!

Re:Chronowerks Comics Scripts 8 years 6 months ago #3275

• greenlanternprime
  • Expert Boarder
  • Me Grimlock.. Bad Ass!
I'll have to find some time to dedicate to all this, as I'm crazy buzy in the real world, I did do this an age ago with the same series.

I'll try and get round to finishing up, my website front end, I'm thinking of simply opening it up, like thetvdb.com and as long as you have an account you can change what ever you like with the data (unless I restict items), the problem with the comicrack submit script is that its anoymous so people are not getting credit.

Ultimately i would like people to be able to sumbmit there libary xml's and the database will be able to amalgamate these, the problem with that is that some people have a lot of stuff scarped from the comic book db website and we don't want to be annoying any of thouse people by pinching there data.

but at the same time I don't want to be adding data for stuff I don't read. but that the moment that list is getting smaller, I used to buy everything that DC did, now i think its run by people who don't like comics.... except for Green lantern issues.
Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by greenlanternprime.
Time to create page: 0.488 seconds

Who's Online

We have 285 guests and 7 members online