Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: malor89's ComicRack Scripts

malor89's ComicRack Scripts 8 years 7 months ago #3013

• malor89
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
This is a collection of script files I wrote for ComicRack to improve the file name parsing. It contains the following scripts:

AltPathParser.py - sets a comic's info using file name parsing
ClearInfo.py - clears the comic's info
Split Series Name.py - splits comic's series name into series and title around either "-" or ":"
Join Series+Number+Title.py - useful for comics with a number in the middle of the name.
Standardize Series.py - attempts to rename similar series & titles

AltPathParser Features:
• Sets the "Alternative Series" data equal to the directory name under the main comic directory, which can be used to easily group similar comics with different names.
• Handles several different date formats to find both the year and the month.
• Saves and Formats extra data in the "Tags" data to store possible useful information. Ex. scanner, number of covers, noads, etc.
• Checks the full path for volume information if it isn't found in the filename.
• Compares information contained in parentheses to a large list of publishers to set the "Publisher" info.
• Tries to keep distinct titles separate from the main series name by setting the "Title" data.
• Uses the "Alternative Number" to store either a title/story number or reading order

Update 12/24/10: Updated my scripts to work correctly with the current version of ComicRack and repackaged them to use the new crplugin format. AltPathParser has been rewritten and now is back to taking seconds instead of minutes to process a large list of comics.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by malor89.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: laxarus, freMea, ChrisR

Re:malor89's ComicRack Scripts 8 years 7 months ago #3014

• malor89
  • Senior Boarder
Standardize Series.py helps correct minor capitalization and punctuation differences, by trying to set similar names to the most common name.
Example:
X-People - Armageddon
X-People: Armageddon
X-people armageddon
X-People: Armageddon

Would prompt to rename both "X-People - Armageddon" and "X-people armageddon" to "X-People: Armageddon"
Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by malor89.

Re:malor89's ComicRack Scripts 8 years 7 months ago #3119

• malor89
  • Senior Boarder
I guess I misjudged the general appeal/usefulness of my scripts.

Re:malor89's ComicRack Scripts 8 years 7 months ago #3120

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
I wouldn't say that.
ComicRack users are just a lazy bunch.
Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by cYo.

Re:malor89's ComicRack Scripts 8 years 7 months ago #3121

• wadegiles
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I've shared some scripts no one seemed to care for, but so what? I found them useful and thought others might as well. Don't sweat it.

I would suggest you package each script separately and start a thread about each one separately as well. That way, the thread title can give a hint as to what that particular script does.

All but one of your scripts involves series naming and that is something about which there is hardly any generally accepted practice. I prefer to go by the name given in the comic book indices but there are exceptions I make to this rule when 2 titles can be easily confused. For example, there are 3 Trinity series in DC Comics alone. One was a DC Universe crossover. The second was a mini-series in Prestige Format revolving around the DC Big 3: Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. The third is an ongoing series revolving around the exploits of the same DC Big 3. All of them are indexed with Trinity as the series name and no volume indicated. I've therefore named the crossover "DC Trinity", the mini-series "Trinity" volume 1, and the ongoing monthly as "Trinity" volume 2. Given all of that, I have no doubt however that there are a significant number of collectors out there that would not do things exactly that same way. So, don't be discouraged but be aware that for every collector there is a different way to categorize an eComic.

Re:malor89's ComicRack Scripts 8 years 7 months ago #3124

• malor89
  • Senior Boarder
cYo wrote:
I wouldn't say that.
ComicRack users are just a lazy bunch.
I've experienced plenty of that with other projects as well. Thanks, for a great program by the way.

wadegiles wrote:
I've shared some scripts no one seemed to care for, but so what? I found them useful and thought others might as well. Don't sweat it.
I'd just like to know if I should bother posting updates or take the time to make any new scripts user friendly for others. With no download counter, I don't know what to think.

wadegiles wrote:
I would suggest you package each script separately and start a thread about each one separately as well. That way, the thread title can give a hint as to what that particular script does.
Really there is only one main script, the rest are just minor utilities to aid it.

Re:malor89's ComicRack Scripts 8 years 6 months ago #3214

• JoradZero
  • Fresh Boarder
I greatly appreciate ALL who've enhanced the product.

Just tried your scripts in 0.9.99:

Script Window shows "Calling 'ProposedWrapper'... in infinite loop when loading from \Scripts\Malor and shows about 15 calls then freezes when loading from \scripts.

ComicRack without scripts loads with no issues, and your scripts display. Have not used them yet, I will later.

I may try to debug them later, unless you do a fix first.

Thanks for the scripts, please keep posting them!

Re:malor89's ComicRack Scripts 8 years 6 months ago #3215

• malor89
  • Senior Boarder
Hmm, that's strange. I tested it on a fairly diverse list of file names, but it is always possible something is tripping it up. ComicRack calls scripts using the ParseComicPath Hook individualy for each file in the library that has the Proposed Values filed set to Yes. So if you have 1000 comics it could be called 1000 times.

Re:malor89's ComicRack Scripts 8 years 6 months ago #3220

• unteins
  • Fresh Boarder
Definitely keep posting. I don't really use ComicRack (no Mac version, which is really too bad) but I've been working off and on to create an xml comic file format and I publish my work on these forums (since ComicRack will be the best tool for converting from) when I get it working. I don't even know if anyone cares about the xml format any more, but maybe someone does so I will keep poking away at it.

Re:malor89's ComicRack Scripts 8 years 6 months ago #3225

• malor89
  • Senior Boarder
unteins wrote:
Definitely keep posting.
Thanks, I will. I already have a couple ideas for things I want to try.
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Who's Online

We have 195 guests and one member online