Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: [Comic Vine Scraper] Non-numeric issue # problem?

Re: [Comic Vine Scraper] Non-numeric issue # problem? 4 years 6 months ago #31373

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
No worries! It actually got me thinking that I should change the sort order of the Issues dialog so that the issues are sorted "naturally". This would make issue '5au' appear right after '5' and before '6', instead of way up at the top. It's a small thing, but still a good idea...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: docdoom

Re: [Comic Vine Scraper] Non-numeric issue # problem? 4 years 6 months ago #31442

• ArKay
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Don't they arrive sorted from the server?

I have noticed something else. I had 2 identical files with conflicting information (issue publication year in parenthesis)...

- The Theater V2011 #4 (2011).cbz
- The Theater V2011 #4 (2012).cbz

I wasn't sure which was correct so I used the scraper. The information didn't change. So I took the first file, cleared its data and removed the (2011) part. "Published" was now empty. After another scrape it was still empty. ComicVine has the date. This used to be set, right?

www.comicvine.com/the-theater-4/4000-309417/

I have all fields set to Update in the settings, "Allow scraper to overwrite..." is also activated.

Re: [Comic Vine Scraper] Non-numeric issue # problem? 4 years 6 months ago #31456

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
ArKay wrote:
Don't they arrive sorted from the server?
No in a way I can rely on, unfortunately. :dry:
I have noticed something else.
I have all fields set to Update in the settings, "Allow scraper to overwrite..." is also activated.
Yeah, ComicVine changed how the date is available from their API server again on Friday. The next release of the scraper (1.0.59, soon) will handle things properly again. Follow this thread to be notified when its available.

Re: [Comic Vine Scraper] Non-numeric issue # problem? 4 years 6 months ago #31608

• ArKay
  • Senior Boarder
They seem to have changed some issue numbers as well. Today I have scraped this:

Star Wars - Legacy V2006 #½ (2008)

'½' used to be '0.5', right? Actually this is more correct since the issue number is shown as "0½" on the cover. Some people might prefer 0.5 though. I know I do. :)

Re: [Comic Vine Scraper] Non-numeric issue # problem? 4 years 6 months ago #31615

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
You're right, they have added unicode support into their issue number string, which allows people to provide issue numbers of "½" instead of "0.5" in cases where that is more correct. I believe the idea is to use whichever format is actually shown on the comic book itself. Unicode only offers a few different fractions, though, so for example I don't believe there's any way to show issue number "15.1" as "15 1/10".

I believe (as you've already noticed) the scraper already supports these new unicode numbers.

Re: [Comic Vine Scraper] Non-numeric issue # problem? 4 years 6 months ago #31618

• ArKay
  • Senior Boarder
Indeed, someone seems to have spent a couple of hours editing all of those "0.5" issues. Nuts. I don't actually like having those in a filename since that character isn't easy to find on the keyboard, and I prefer ASCII filenames anyway since those work on all platforms. But maybe I can fix those in the "Library Organizer" script, it's not really a CVS issue I guess... as long as the sort order is correct. :)

Re: [Comic Vine Scraper] Non-numeric issue # problem? 4 years 6 months ago #31619

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah, I agree, the introduction of those unicode characters is not very helpful for people who do digital comics. As you say, those characters are awkward to enter, so you are unlikely to see a lot of filenames that use them, which means the scraper is going to keep running into problems where it fails to match the issue number of a comic file like "Superdude #5.5.cbz" with a ComicVine entry like "Superdude #5½".

As far as sorting goes, in the newest scraper (not quite out yet) I did get it sorting the unicode characters correctly (in the "Choose Issue" dialog), but it was actually quite a pain to do. A more interesting question is, will ComicRack sort them properly? :unsure:
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by cbanack.

Re: [Comic Vine Scraper] Non-numeric issue # problem? 4 years 6 months ago #31620

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Currently not.
A different question is, if the scraper should not have some kind of translation mode where special unicode numbers get translated into their ANSI representation.

Re: [Comic Vine Scraper] Non-numeric issue # problem? 4 years 6 months ago #31622

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
cYo wrote:
Currently not.
A different question is, if the scraper should not have some kind of translation mode where special unicode numbers get translated into their ANSI representation.
For searching, yes I'm thinking about ways to translate (so that your filename can contain "#5.5" and the scraper will still find "#5½").

For scraping, as usual I don't plan to adjust the data as it is being scraped. Especially in this case, because "5½" is not really different than "5a" or "5au" -- it's just an issue number with non-integer characters. (It's not really clear to me which order those three issue numbers should sort in, but I guess it doesn't matter, since you're not likely to see all three side-by-side anyway.)
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by cbanack.

Re: [Comic Vine Scraper] Non-numeric issue # problem? 4 years 6 months ago #31625

• Kirtai
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I'm wondering, how will non-numeric numbers work? e.g. I have a pair of comics here numbered #1 & #Final

They're the Gremlin Trouble Super Specials in case it matters.
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Who's Online

We have 198 guests and 5 members online