Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: Preview of the next Data Manager release

Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 6 months ago #32121

  • docdoom
  • docdoom's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 320
  • Thank you received: 89
  • Karma: 31
I have uploaded a little preview of the new GUI included in the Data Manager's next release. You can download it at google.code. The preview is a wmv video and should be playable with Windows Media Player and VLC player.

Please let me know what you think about it. You are invited to discuss it here or post your ideas and requests at the Data Manager project site.
Author of the CR Data Manager. Download and manual at google code - please post feature requests and bugs here
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 6 months ago #32123

  • cYo
  • cYo's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3476
  • Thank you received: 675
  • Karma: 181
you can add the script configuration as a drop down in the toolbar. CV scraper does it that way. Saves one click when starting.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 6 months ago #32124

  • Mammut
  • Mammut's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 196
  • Thank you received: 25
  • Karma: 7
Nice!

I like the searchable groups, those'll help a lot!

As I see it works great with the mouse, but of course in a video we can't see the tab order or what happens when we press Enter in one of the editbox, etc. Those could be important things, too.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 6 months ago #32126

  • docdoom
  • docdoom's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 320
  • Thank you received: 89
  • Karma: 31
Mammut wrote:
Nice!

I like the searchable groups, those'll help a lot!

As I see it works great with the mouse, but of course in a video we can't see the tab order or what happens when we press Enter in one of the editbox, etc. Those could be important things, too.

Those are important things of course but right now I would like to read your thoughts about the general idea how the GUI will look like and work. Maybe I'm missing some points which you will find important and which were not so obvious to me.
Author of the CR Data Manager. Download and manual at google code - please post feature requests and bugs here
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 6 months ago #32129

  • Mammut
  • Mammut's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 196
  • Thank you received: 25
  • Karma: 7
Okay, my questions because I don't know the answers for them from the video:

The GUI is only works one-way? You set the attribs, and it adds the command to the list? Or we can edit a command line with the gui controls?
What about the more complex commands? It can handle if I put 4-5 criterias there?
We can easily reedit a command line in the main editor if we did something wrong? Or we have to press the Editor button, etc.? Or we can simply change it in the GUI area?

I think that the arranging of the controls helps to understand the working of the commands if someone never used the Data Manager. But I'm not a designer. :)

edit: what about divider, variable and end of rules in the others combo box? :)
edit2: the Calc is working in the GUI? it automatically puts the field into { and }?

edit3: after creating the group, you intentionally click into the main editor to deselect the "#@ GROUP Goth" (and why only that part of the line was selected)? If you don't deselect it and set the cursor to the end of the line than the add rule function is not working?

I think this needs to be automatic: (group header->add,) criteria->create, new values->create, add rule, and it must put the command line automatically to the end of the group, without clicking into the main editor window (or there could be a switch or something to put it automatically to the last line of the group).
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Mammut.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 6 months ago #32137

  • docdoom
  • docdoom's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 320
  • Thank you received: 89
  • Karma: 31
Mammut wrote:
Okay, my questions because I don't know the answers for them from the video:

The GUI is only works one-way? You set the attribs, and it adds the command to the list? Or we can edit a command line with the gui controls?
What about the more complex commands? It can handle if I put 4-5 criterias there?
We can easily reedit a command line in the main editor if we did something wrong? Or we have to press the Editor button, etc.? Or we can simply change it in the GUI area?

I think that the arranging of the controls helps to understand the working of the commands if someone never used the Data Manager. But I'm not a designer. :)

edit: what about divider, variable and end of rules in the others combo box? :)
edit2: the Calc is working in the GUI? it automatically puts the field into { and }?

edit3: after creating the group, you intentionally click into the main editor to deselect the "#@ GROUP Goth" (and why only that part of the line was selected)? If you don't deselect it and set the cursor to the end of the line than the add rule function is not working?

I think this needs to be automatic: (group header->add,) criteria->create, new values->create, add rule, and it must put the command line automatically to the end of the group, without clicking into the main editor window (or there could be a switch or something to put it automatically to the last line of the group).

Thanks for digging so deeply into the little preview. To answer your questions:
At the moment the GUI works only one way but you can edit your rules in the GUI textboxes as well as in the main editor window. Re-engeneering will be implemented in the release after the next one.

dividers, variables and end of rules will be explained when the release is public :whistle:

only partly highlighting an inserted rule was a bug that is fixed in the meantime. Now it works as intended: no matter if you select something in a rule or just position the cursor somewhere: the new rule is always placed in the next line below your current cursor position.
I think this needs to be automatic: (group header->add,) criteria->create, new values->create, add rule

not sure if I understand what you mean.... Please explain.
it must put the command line automatically to the end of the group, without clicking into the main editor window (or there could be a switch or something to put it automatically to the last line of the group).

I have some very nice ideas :whistle: about the handling of groups but that will be a feature included in the release after the next one.
Author of the CR Data Manager. Download and manual at google code - please post feature requests and bugs here
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 6 months ago #32138

  • Mammut
  • Mammut's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 196
  • Thank you received: 25
  • Karma: 7
"not sure if I understand what you mean"

sorry, it's a little late here :D

I meant that we could create a new group, and right after that a new rule, and then the gui could put the rule automatically at the new group's end, regardless where is the cursor in the main editor, in fact, we never clicked into the main editor, we never left the gui's area
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 6 months ago #32139

  • docdoom
  • docdoom's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 320
  • Thank you received: 89
  • Karma: 31
Mammut wrote:
"not sure if I understand what you mean"

sorry, it's a little late here :D

I meant that we could create a new group, and right after that a new rule, and then the gui could put the rule automatically at the new group's end, regardless where is the cursor in the main editor, in fact, we never clicked into the main editor, we never left the gui's area

I understand. That is indeed one of the features promised for the release after the next one.
Author of the CR Data Manager. Download and manual at google code - please post feature requests and bugs here
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 6 months ago #32140

  • Kirtai
  • Kirtai's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Boarder
  • Posts: 77
  • Thank you received: 4
  • Karma: 1
It looks good. Are you intending to eventually progress to something like how Smartlists are done, with both graphical and textual modes available?

Incidentally, I noticed that AlternateNumber, AlternateCount and book.BlackAndWhite aren't in the drop down list. Will they be in the next release, even if only in the text form?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 6 months ago #32144

  • 600WPMPO
  • 600WPMPO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3788
  • Thank you received: 557
  • Karma: 232
cYo wrote:
you can add the script configuration as a drop down in the toolbar. CV scraper does it that way. Saves one click when starting.
+1. :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Who's Online

We have 174 guests and one member online