Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: Preview of the next Data Manager release

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 8 months ago #32147

• docdoom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 89
Kirtai wrote:
It looks good. Are you intending to eventually progress to something like how Smartlists are done, with both graphical and textual modes available?

Incidentally, I noticed that AlternateNumber, AlternateCount and book.BlackAndWhite aren't in the drop down list. Will they be in the next release, even if only in the text form?

the list editing will get a more graphical interface but I have to put some thoughts into that. The data manager rule sets will be in most cases much larger than smart lists. So it will need a lot of conceptual work how to build a convenient interface. Both, graphical and textual approach have their advantages.

All 3 fields will be in the next release and it will never make any difference between text and GUI editor as both draw the list of available fields from the same class.
Author of the CR Data Manager. Download and manual at google code - please post feature requests and bugs here
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 8 months ago #32148

• Kirtai
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Sounds good :)

I'm hoping to eventually put all of my manual metadata tweaks and fixes into DM rules so I never have to think about them again so I appreciate the work you put into it.

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 8 months ago #32228

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
docdoom wrote:
Kirtai wrote:
It looks good. Are you intending to eventually progress to something like how Smartlists are done, with both graphical and textual modes available?

Incidentally, I noticed that AlternateNumber, AlternateCount and book.BlackAndWhite aren't in the drop down list. Will they be in the next release, even if only in the text form?

the list editing will get a more graphical interface but I have to put some thoughts into that. The data manager rule sets will be in most cases much larger than smart lists. So it will need a lot of conceptual work how to build a convenient interface. Both, graphical and textual approach have their advantages.

All 3 fields will be in the next release and it will never make any difference between text and GUI editor as both draw the list of available fields from the same class.

Well the GUI I designed (and now use for the current version of Data manager) works both ways, currently trying to add Regular Expressions in and then i won't have to write a script that will handle Changing fields by using RegEx (which i was originally working on)

can't wait for your next version however (whether you use it or not I'm sticking with my GUI!) Love the power of your script, just feel it needs to be more idiot-proof (for people like myself) Just going to have to edit my GUI to support groups for the next version.

P.S. just so you know my GUI is programmed in C# and loaded via dll file. ;) I kinda hated being limited to Python which, thanks to the fact that your script is pretty much console other than configuration its easy for me to drop in my dll to edit the config, plus helps me from having to delve to deeply into python to learn to do the things i already know how to do in C#.
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by T3KN0Gh057.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 8 months ago #32230

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:

can't wait for your next version however (whether you use it or not I'm sticking with my GUI!)
This is an extremely good GUI, extremely smart, simple & easy to use/understand (just by the looks of it). :-)

@docdoom: Please give it a good consideration.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 8 months ago #32257

• docdoom
  • Platinum Boarder
@ T3KN0Gh057: I like your draft very much. It looks very clear and simple to use (as a GUI should be) but it has some disadvantages, though (at least regards my personal use of the Data Manager).

My (almost daily increasing) rule set is so large in the meantime that a pure GUI approach would not work. I need the flexibility to scroll through the complete native text view, copy content from there directly to the graphical editor and back (kind of re-engineering). That's why I decided to implement parallel viewing and editing in text and GUI mode without the need to switch the view every time.

Besides your concept involves that each rule is given a specific name and that means a lot of work if you have a set with hundred rules or more. I soon recognized how large and complex a rule set could become and that's why I implemented groups instead which combine several rules and make it easy to navigate even through a large set of rules. I even quickly discovered that I also needed a quick "find" method for any kind of rule content which was very easy to build into a textual view of the rule set.

So I think if you want to edit a relatively small rule set your GUI is the one of choice but if your rule set gets very complex I would prefer mine. Maybe it's an option to include both editors in the plugin package? What do you think? And maybe sometime in the future we will find a good way to make one GUI work best for both ways to get your work done with the Data Manager.

Nevertheless I would like to give your GUI a try. Could you send me the DLL with a short note how to call it?

I will decide tomorrow or the day after when the new version will be releasable. So I can send you a list of the latest new features implemented (new fields and modifiers etc.) shortly if you like to integrate those into your GUI.
Author of the CR Data Manager. Download and manual at google code - please post feature requests and bugs here
The following user(s) said Thank You: T3KN0Gh057

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 8 months ago #32314

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
to be honest I've already added in the modifiers i saw in your "preview video" they are just hidden until the options become available. Also I'm modifying the GUI to be completely idiot proof, so it does checks for the Value type that should be expected, which was fine not checking that when it was just me using it, i know the syntax, i just made stupid mistakes when text editing (because of either fat fingers hitting the wrong keys, or leaving out a '<' or '>' because my keyboard type-rate is slower than my typing) and to be honest that stuff is hard to check in plain text for me, it all kind of runs together since I'm dyslexic (which is why i prefer my GUI)

So as soon as i finish the idiot proofing i'll send you both the finished dll and the source code.

P.S. Also modifying it so Names aren't neccessary but can be added if there's specific rules you want to keep named. And already added support for groups (when the feature is added I'll change the "listview" to a "treeview") if you like i can add your GUI method to the "text view" tab so that both are available (I like that you suggested that, it'd be good for those that would rather do it your way.)

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 8 months ago #32344

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey I have a feature suggestion.

I feel like there's a missing option as far as value modifiers go.

Okay I enjoy Zenescope's Grimm Fairy Tales, but what i don't like is that some of the Spin off series are prefixed by default after scraping with "Grimm Fairy Tales Presents" or "Grim Fairy Tales: " I think a RemoveText function for string values could be implemented so something like this could be done.
<<Series.StartsWith:Grimm Fairy Tales Presents >> => <<Series.RemoveText:Grimm Fairy Tales Presents >> <<SeriesGroup:Grimm Fairy Tales>>

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 8 months ago #32346

• docdoom
  • Platinum Boarder
I've already put that on the to-do list. See issue 32 on the project site. Probably done with the next release.

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 7 months ago #32594

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder

Thought you guys might like to see what's up with this.

coming soon to a plugin near you!
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by T3KN0Gh057.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Preview of the next Data Manager release 4 years 7 months ago #32595

• Mammut
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
It's not bad, but will be there a possibility to create more ruleset collections and select and use only one of them? I can't see Open button, only Save and Save as.
Time to create page: 1.027 seconds

Who's Online

We have 772 guests and 3 members online