Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: Proposed Changes to Comic Vine Scraper Settings

Re: Proposed Changes to Comic Vine Scraper Settings 4 years 7 months ago #32537

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 508
Madmatx wrote:
If you are scraping "Random_Comic 12 (2013)" but the file is accidentally named "Random_Comic 02 (2013)" will the "auto scrape" feature

A. check issue #2 and then tell you covers don't match?
B. find the match for issue #12 but ask you to confirm it?
C. scrape it as issue #12?

I guessing it would be the first option.
Yes, in fact it would behave exactly as the current version of the scraper does--it will show you the Series Window, and you'll be able to see that the Comic Vine cover for issue #2 doesn't match your comic with the cover for issue #12. Then you would select "Show Issues" and choose the correct issue, just as you'd do in this situation if it happened today.
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by cbanack.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Proposed Changes to Comic Vine Scraper Settings 4 years 7 months ago #32538

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
cbanack wrote:
Well, no algorithm is perfect, and certainly this one won't be. Those who are not comfortable with he possibility of it making an error should simply continue using the scraper without automatic matching--the feature won't be forced on anyone, and in fact it won't even be turned on by default.

Not to give anyone the wrong impression--of course I WILL try to make it work as well as I can. I do consider any situation where the scraper automatically scrapes the wrong comic (a "false positive") to be a big problem, and something to be avoided if at all possible!

Re: Proposed Changes to Comic Vine Scraper Settings 4 years 7 months ago #32540

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Mammut wrote:
I agree with Edition Edtion, you don't need to throw away an already working setting, there can be 3.
Ahh, but this is not my philosophy when it comes to designing software. :lol: I think software is supposed to make complex tasks easier, and having a simple user interface is a huge part of that. That's why I'm always looking for ways to trim things down (without sacrificing usefulness).

For every feature I ask myself questions like:

1) Do people use this feature? Would anyone actually miss it?
2) If the feature never existed, would anyone be asking for it?
3) Is the feature needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem, or are there other ways?

Each feature in the software costs me time; I have to maintain it and to make sure it integrates properly with any new features that I want to add. More importantly, each additional feature makes the software harder to understand, especially for casual users (and that's most of them.)
About the same cover for issue and tpb problem. Is there any flag which tells you which series have the same cover? That way the Scraper can ask which one to use.
I guess it would be much more time to compare the covers of the issues and the tpb first all the time.
Unfortunately, the ComicVine database doesn't offer any kind of "connection" between a TPB and a corresponding regular issue, and there's no fast way to find all of the series with the same cover.

For now I'm not sure how much of a problem this whole TPB thing will be, but it's something that I'll keep in mind when I'm working on this feature. In the worst case scenario, people who collect TPBs can just scrape them with the "automatic series matching" turned off, like they currently do.

Re: Proposed Changes to Comic Vine Scraper Settings 4 years 7 months ago #32542

• Kirtai
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
cbanack wrote:
Ahh, but this is not my philosophy when it comes to designing software. :lol: I think software is supposed to make complex tasks easier, and having a simple user interface is a huge part of that.
Nice to hear, I sometimes think that at least some devs delight in making their software as complex as possible to show off :laugh:

Incidentally, will you be keeping the publisher mapping or removing it and handing that off to Data Manager?
cbanack wrote:
For now I'm not sure how much of a problem this whole TPB thing will be, but it's something that I'll keep in mind when I'm working on this feature.
Comicvine is somwhat annoying with how TPBs are not marked.
e.g. Take a look at Saga volume 2012 issue 1. It could be either a comic or a TPB and they have very, very similar covers. Distinguishing them is annoying.

Re: Proposed Changes to Comic Vine Scraper Settings 4 years 7 months ago #32543

• Mammut
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
cbanack wrote:
Ahh, but this is not my philosophy when it comes to designing software. :lol: I think software is supposed to make complex tasks easier, and having a simple user interface is a huge part of that. That's why I'm always looking for ways to trim things down (without sacrificing usefulness).

Uhm, I agree with that part that a simple user interface is important.
But I think that a good software supports more features through its settings. Even if only 1 person will use them. :D (Yeah, I hate the televisions for their ratings, too, they always cancel my favourite shows because only I watch them. :D)
Each feature in the software costs me time; I have to maintain it and to make sure it integrates properly with any new features that I want to add. More importantly, each additional feature makes the software harder to understand, especially for casual users (and that's most of them.)

Yeah, and the casual users can harder change their practice with every software change. And an erased feature is always a bigger change than a new feature for them.

But it's your decision, this is just a little opinion from the many. ;)
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Mammut.

Re: Proposed Changes to Comic Vine Scraper Settings 4 years 7 months ago #32546

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Mammut wrote:
Yeah, and the casual users can harder change their practice with every software change. And an erased feature is always a bigger change than a new feature for them.

But it's your decision, this is just a little opinion from the many. ;)
So does that mean you have the "Confirm each series name before searching for it" feature turned on when you scrape? :)

If anyone wants to argue in favor of keeping this feature in particular, I'm willing to listen (that's why I started this discussion thread). But if the only argument for keeping this feature is that we should generally just keep all features, then I'm afraid I'm unconvinced

Re: Proposed Changes to Comic Vine Scraper Settings 4 years 7 months ago #32547

• Mammut
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
cbanack wrote:
So does that mean you have the "Confirm each series name before searching for it" feature turned on when you scrape? :)

No, I didn't know about this feature. :P

But I think it can be faster to right away correct the series titles to the correct English ones when I'll add more foreign language comics to the database later.*
It could be handy in similar special cases.

*edit: Of course, the not found window would come up anyway in most of the cases.

edit2: "If anyone wants to argue in favor of keeping this feature in particular, I'm willing to listen (that's why I started this discussion thread). "

But how many casual users are reading the forums? :)
But of course I'm only arguing for it generally, I like lost cases.
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Mammut.

Re: Proposed Changes to Comic Vine Scraper Settings 4 years 7 months ago #32548

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Incidentally, will you be keeping the publisher mapping or removing it and handing that off to Data Manager?
Yes, I wouldn't want to remove any feature that people are using, and I know for a fact that lots of people are using that one. I do think Data Manager is a better choice for that sort of thing, though, so maybe one day if everyone switches to use that, I'll consider retiring some of the publisher mapping stuff. But not anytime soon.
e.g. Take a look at Saga volume 2012 issue 1. It could be either a comic or a TPB and they have very, very similar covers. Distinguishing them is annoying.
The worst part is, even if I could tell the difference on ComicVine, there's not really a reliable way to tell the difference when looking at your local comic file, either, unless it actually has TPB in it's filename.

Re: Proposed Changes to Comic Vine Scraper Settings 4 years 7 months ago #32549

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Maybe you could add an indented option under "Choose each comic's series automatically, when possible" that says "except for first issues."

This should help eliminate issues with most TPBs.
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Madmatx.

Re: Proposed Changes to Comic Vine Scraper Settings 4 years 7 months ago #32551

• docdoom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 89
cbanack wrote:
So does that mean you have the "Confirm each series name before searching for it" feature turned on when you scrape?

I'm one of the (maybe) few that uses this feature regularly especially when I'm scraping folders with older and unsorted books. It might be not needed when scraping 0-day folders but it is quite useful for me when books of several volumes are stored in one folder (before moving them to their final destination).
Author of the CR Data Manager. Download and manual at google code - please post feature requests and bugs here
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds

Who's Online

We have 289 guests and one member online