Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: CR Data Manager - manipulate data based on rules - version 1.2.4

Re: the CR Data Manager - manipulate data automatically based on rules - version 1.0 4 years 6 months ago #33021

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
sorry if that sounded harsh, but you have the option to edit by text, or edit by GUI.

The reason the two will not be combined is to eliminate unexpected result. If you don't close your groups you get one never ending cascade of groups, or you forget a "<" or ">" and your text edit is rendered moot because it won't parse into the GUI. And most importantly, a single error in text edit can render your entire Ruleset Collection unusable, and there is no going back and editing to fix it as this would require re-parse every time you move from text to GUI, and text would change every time you go from GUI to text. So while it's not impossible for them to work together,it would create errors and confusion that's not worth the complaints that it would cause.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: the CR Data Manager - manipulate data automatically based on rules - version 1.0 4 years 6 months ago #33022

• docdoom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 89
Of course the dataman.dat file (where the rules are stored) can be edited with text-based tools like Notepad, but T3K posted several reasons why you shouldn't do that anymore. I myself was first very critical about the idea of a pure graphical interface because I could not believe it could give you the flexibility of a text based editor.

While working with T3K on the new version I'm now completely convinced that working with the GUI is first much faster and second - especially when you have large ruleset collection - the GUI makes it much, very much easier to keep your configuration organized and readable.

The only one thing that required some work was to give my rules a name (which is only optionally of course but very helpful) but once I did that (about 10 to 15 minutes for 200+ rules) I discovered that the GUI makes life a lot easier. Of course one has to play around with the GUI to get a feeling for all the options that are included.

I'm kind of stubborn with my habits and and it was not easy to convince me that a pure graphical user interface would allow me to do all the things in my ruleset collection I want to do. But believe: the GUI does it better. Just give it a try!

Besides: if there are features missing please let us know. Feature requests (and bug reports) are appreciated. Version 1.0 will not be the last one ;)
Author of the CR Data Manager. Download and manual at google code - please post feature requests and bugs here
The following user(s) said Thank You: T3KN0Gh057

Re: the CR Data Manager - manipulate data automatically based on rules - version 1.0 4 years 6 months ago #33023

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
docdoom wrote:
Besides: if there are features missing please let us know. Feature requests (and bug reports) are appreciated. Version 1.0 will not be the last one ;)

What he said!

I've got the tab order fixed if you want to package a update, btw.

Re: the CR Data Manager - manipulate data automatically based on rules - version 1.0 4 years 6 months ago #33033

• Kirtai
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Couple of minor notes about the manual.

On page 25, LessEq is marked as "(this can only be used with numerial fields)" but Greater, GreaterEq, Less are not. Is that intended? Numerial is misspelled too.

Also, is there a way to save only parts of a ruleset or single rules so you can easily share them? I can only see ways to save the entire ruleset.

Re: the CR Data Manager - manipulate data automatically based on rules - version 1.0 4 years 6 months ago #33034

• docdoom
  • Platinum Boarder
thanks for the notes regarding the manual. I've corrected it and will post an update later.
Kirtai wrote:
Also, is there a way to save only parts of a ruleset or single rules so you can easily share them? I can only see ways to save the entire ruleset.

Yes, there is:
Author of the CR Data Manager. Download and manual at google code - please post feature requests and bugs here
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by docdoom.

Re: the CR Data Manager - manipulate data automatically based on rules - version 1.0 4 years 6 months ago #33035

• Freakeao
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
You can't drag and drop an unnammed rule into a group

Re: the CR Data Manager - manipulate data automatically based on rules - version 1.0 4 years 6 months ago #33036

• docdoom
  • Platinum Boarder
Freakeao wrote:
You can't drag and drop an unnammed rule into a group

I guess this is already on T3K's list. In the meantime please consider what I wrote in an earlier post:
The only one thing that required some work was to give my rules a name (which is only optionally of course but very helpful) but once I did that (about 10 to 15 minutes for 200+ rules) I discovered that the GUI makes life a lot easier.

Re: the CR Data Manager - manipulate data automatically based on rules - version 1.0 4 years 6 months ago #33038

• Freakeao
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I understand, but to use some of the organizing features makes naming required. I'm just reporting issues, I'm not complaining. ;)

Issues
- Can't multi-select rules or groups to drag and drop

Feature request
- option to Suggest/auto fill a name for a rule based on first rule's value (mainly useful for upgraders, but could be nice when creating a new rule as well)

Re: the CR Data Manager - manipulate data automatically based on rules - version 1.0 4 years 6 months ago #33039

• docdoom
  • Platinum Boarder
Freakeao wrote:
I'm not complaining. ;)
I understood it that way ;)
Freakeao wrote:
Can't multi-select rules or groups to drag and drop
We will consider this.
Freakeao wrote:
option to Suggest/auto fill a name for a rule based on first rule's value (mainly useful for upgraders, but could be nice when creating a new rule as well)
can you be more specific about this?

Re: the CR Data Manager - manipulate data automatically based on rules - version 1.0 4 years 6 months ago #33040

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
Freakeao wrote:
I understand, but to use some of the organizing features makes naming required. I'm just reporting issues, I'm not complaining. ;)

You really shouldn't take my tone too harshly, I'm not really much of a people person, my bedside manner is very much lacking. I am open to suggestions. Just not very good at communicating the lack of feasibility when rejecting those suggestions. In other words, i can come off as a bit of a jerk when i'm really not trying to be.
Issues
- Can't multi-select rules or groups to drag and drop

-multi-drag and drop (if ever) is going to be way down the line... treeviews aren't the easiest thing to work with as it is, and just getting single drag and drop and repositioning as well as making sure you can't drag and drop a group to one of its own sub groups (which incidentally makes the drag and drop of unnamed rules impossible as well at the moment) was a delicate dance. The trade off for this would have to be Rulesets & Groups would all have to have unique names.
Feature request
- option to Suggest/auto fill a name for a rule based on first rule's value (mainly useful for upgraders, but could be nice when creating a new rule as well)

I actually like this idea and I'm going to get to work on it, however this would only be available when parsing the Rulesets, naming will not be automatic while working with a Collection, but saving and reverting will trigger auto-name of Rulesets if the user enables the feature (as for groups manual naming will always be necessary and a Group cannot be nameless).
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by T3KN0Gh057.
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds

Who's Online

We have 205 guests and 2 members online