Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.68

Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.68 4 years 4 months ago #34539

• ArKay
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I have just updated to the newest scraper and find it to be less usable than the previous version I had used. The problem I have is that it doesn't ask for the series name anymore which makes it very difficult to rescrape comics which have been scraped with incorrect information. Even if I clean the files before scanning it will use the values it had before (even though the "use your previous choices" option is disabled). So I have to rename the comics to something nonsensical and then rescrape so that the plugin will ask for a name again (title has multiple volumes so luckily it's not sure here and is forced to ask). Not very intuitive, is it?

So please bring back the old "Ask for series name" option or whatever it was called. Sometimes the file name doesn't make much sense and I can speed up the search by entering the information myself. Thanks :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.68 4 years 4 months ago #34540

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Under the "behaviour" tab uncheck the top option that says "try to choose the correct series automatically" and if you want you can check the next option that says "confirm each issue before proceeding"

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.68 4 years 4 months ago #34541

• ArKay
  • Senior Boarder
That's how the old one worked, yup. Those options are no longer there.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.68 4 years 4 months ago #34543

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
ArKay wrote:
That's how the old one worked, yup. Those options are no longer there.
Yes they are, those options were recently added in the most recent release of the scraper.

It sounds to me like you've accidentally got this setting turned on:

"When scraping comics for the first time, try to choose the correct series automatically"

But the behaviour you want requires you to turn on this setting, instead:

"When scraping comics for the first time, confirm each issue before proceeding"

Or you can just leave both of those settings turned off.
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by cbanack.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.68 4 years 4 months ago #34544

• ArKay
  • Senior Boarder
No matter what I set, it only _asks_ for the name if I can't find anything (not talking about the list returned from the server). This used to be different ("confirm EACH issue"?). The problems I describe still persist for comics that have the wrong filename (in cases where this is faster than waiting for an invalid response from the server first for a Comic named X or whatever) or for comics that have been tagged incorrectly and need to be corrected. This used to be easy to fix.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.68 4 years 4 months ago #34546

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
ArKay wrote:
No matter what I set, it only _asks_ for the name if I can't find anything (not talking about the list returned from the server). This used to be different ("confirm EACH issue"?).
Yes, there used to be an option to make the scraper ask you for the name of the comic instead automatically trying to guess the comic name based on it's filename. Now, you just have to click "Search Again" if you want to search for a different comic name.
The problems I describe still persist for comics that have the wrong filename (in cases where this is faster than waiting for an invalid response from the server first for a Comic named X or whatever) or for comics that have been tagged incorrectly and need to be corrected. This used to be easy to fix.
I'm afraid I don't really understand what you mean here...?

If you have comics that are tagged incorrectly, the easiest thing to do is to select them all, then right-click, choose "Clear Data", and then rescrape them. (Actually, you should restart ComicRack after choosing "Clear Data" or you'll probably run into a ComicRack bug that is currently being fixed by cYo.)

If you do all this and your comics are still being scraped automatically (i.e. you can't click on "Search Again" when you want to) then you need to go into settings and turn off the "...try to choose the correct series automatically" option.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.68 4 years 4 months ago #34548

• ArKay
  • Senior Boarder
Well, I'd rather have to click enter a couple of times than to unnecessarily hit the ComicVine servers. Some comics aren't named correctly and before waiting for a sometimes pretty slow server response I'd rather correct that bit of information before sending the query. That option was there and I used it often when I was mass-scraping. No need to clear data or restart then either.

Which was the last version that offered this option? I might as well downgrade if there's no other way.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.68 4 years 4 months ago #34550

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
ArKay wrote:
Well, I'd rather have to click enter a couple of times than to unnecessarily hit the ComicVine servers.
Yes, it is not possible to skip that initial search in the current version of the scraper. If a large number of your comics are named in a *consistent* way that nonetheless confounds the scraper's initial search, it may be possible to make things work a lot better using the ALT_SEARCH_REGEXP advanced feature. If that's the case and you want to try it, let me know.
No need to clear data or restart then either.
Those steps are only necessary when you need to "start over" because you scraped a comic using the wrong series.
Which was the last version that offered this option? I might as well downgrade if there's no other way.
Version 1.0.64 is the last stable version where you could specify the your own search terms before the scraper did its initial search. That's probably the one you want.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.68 4 years 4 months ago #34565

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
Surely the easiest way to get it to search correctly would be to set the series name by right clicking the column before you do the search. Always works for me.

Or for 100% certainty for a whole series, select all of them, rename the series, auto number them and set the volume year, then use the file rename option before searching. Might sound extensive but its quicker than working out a search term and then having to research whenever the name convention changes.
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Who's Online

We have 195 guests and 5 members online