Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0

Re: Is it possible to move files back ? 4 years 2 months ago #36503

Hi. I recently tried using this app today which has caused me some trouble.

I thought what it would do is organize my comics in Comicrack itself but instead what it did was took all of my comics (around 8000) and put them in a folder called "unknown Publisher".

Is there anyway to remove all the comics back to there original location ?

Some history.

After I used this app and saw what it had done, I exited Comicrack. Then I moved the folders it made to the recycle bin. Then I opened comicrack again and when I found out that it had actually moved my actual comic files, I restored them from the recycle bin.

Then I tried the undo options in comicrack and that didn't restore my files to their original locations.

My comic book files were in there original directories. An example would be;

F:\Acer Files 1\My Comic Books & Magazines\Comic Books\Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles\IDW Comics\Main Series\Issue 25\Issue 25 2013.cbr.

And each folder for each comic book also has a folder.jpg thumb.

So with 8000+ comics it's going to be impossible to move them all back by hand.

so please, is it possible to restore them to there original locations ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Is it possible to move files back ? 4 years 2 months ago #36522

• Huisie
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, snakelorenzo

I am a n00b at using ComicRack, but I'll give it a shot...

Unless you made a backup of all folders and files of your comic collection, it is unlikely that you could easily restore it. You could try using a renaming program yo resort your comics, such as Renamer (www.den4b.com/?x=products&product=renamer). it could help automate some steps for you, but does depend on the individual file names. Looking at your example, if your files are named "Issue 25 2013" only, you will have to do it in stages. Renamer does allow you to add paths to names ("F:\Acer Files 1\My Comic Books & Magazines\Comic Books\Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles\IDW Comics\Main Series") and you can manipulate files with regex and Pascal in addition to the built-in options. The user forum is very helpful, too.

From the sounds of it, your comics didn't have metadata, so the plugin didn't have the necessary info to work with. As a consequence, it dumped all your files in one folder - this is my best guess as, in your example, the file is of .cbr type, using .rar.

You could look at this as an ideal opportunity to knock your files into shape and really learn how to use ComicRack. By the way, this plugin is considered deprecated by the knowledgeable members, who recommend the Library Organiser plugin instead.

As I understand it, your first step is to use the built-in tool to convert all your comics to .cbz (zip) format. The reason for doing so is that metadata can be stored in a .cbz container, but not with .cbr.

Once this is done, scan your comics with the ComicVine Scraper, to get the necessary metadata.
This is going to take some time - best to do it in stages, to confirm that it is getting the correct metadata. With 8 000 comics, it is likely to generate a few errors.

Them use the CRDataMan plugin to manipulate the metadata - this will allow you to name the comics as you require and be able to place them in your desired folder structure.

Once this is dome, use the Library Organiser plugin to move your comics into your desired locations.

I am still at the level of learning to do all this myself, so don't take my word as gospel. Do check the manual provided by 600WPMPO (comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/32-news-and-.../11263-online-manual), which is now in online form. You can also download it for offline use.

The steps laid out above will take some time to master and use, but you will be a ComicRack ninja by the time you're done. You will also have created a framework that will automate much of the work of adding new comics to your collection, making it much easier in future.

Re: Is it possible to move files back ? 4 years 2 months ago #36525

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
Might be a little late, but under the File>Automation menu, there's a LO undo function.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

No root directory selected. Exiting script. 4 years 3 weeks ago #37156

• JKFarias
  • Fresh Boarder
I've been using Comicrack & this script forever (TYVM!) but recently had to replace my hard drive. I have reinstalled comic rack & the script but when I run the script I get the above listed error. I have tried searching the program for a way to configure the root directory but for the life of me can't figure it out. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Re: No root directory selected. Exiting script. 4 years 3 weeks ago #37174

• JKFarias
  • Fresh Boarder
I figured it out...

Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0 3 years 9 months ago #38007

• MilkmanWes
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Found that this script would fail when encountering a fileless entry. Made a small modification in the file ...ComicRack\Data\Scripts\Organize Library Files & Folders\OrganizeLibraryFilesFolders22.py on line 333
332        for book in books:
333            if book.FilePath == '': # added this
334                continue        # added this
335            if book.Format!="Edit":

Now when cycling through the book objects it will move to the next book if the FilePath is empty as is the case with a fileless book.

Edit: Apparently the editor here does not respect my pep 8 tabs ;)
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by MilkmanWes.

Re: Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0 3 years 9 months ago #38008

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
600WPMPO wrote:
As I have said earlier, apart from purely theoretical/programming reasons, there is no need to use this now-obsolete script, as we now have the *Editors' Choice* Library Organizer!
I wrote the comment above about 3 years back, & people are still using this obsolete script. Hmmmph... :pinch:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stonepaw

Re: Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0 3 years 9 months ago #38014

• MilkmanWes
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Some of us are old and resistant to change. Now I have to tell some kids to get off my lawn.

Re: Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0 3 years 9 months ago #38016

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Using the 'Organize Library Files & Folders' script instead of the 'Library organiser' is like using CDispleyEx instead of ComicRack. :dry:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The following user(s) said Thank You: oraclexview

Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0 3 years 9 months ago #38017

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
600 is right. The Library Organizer add-on is like a 1000 times better than this old script of mine, thus I stopped updating/developing it any further. It has run its course. Think of it being like Windows 98. It's way past time for you all to at least upgrade to Win 7. Lol
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by oraclexview.
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds

Who's Online

We have 221 guests and 4 members online