Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0

Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0 3 years 7 months ago #38917

Damn, really wish I had found this thread before messing around. Just wanted to organize the folders in my library folder, set my library folder as root, click organize and crash. When I went to check the files, 99% of them were just GONE! There were a bunch of folders for series I don't have, and not one folder containing any of my comic files. There were like 4000+ files in there, how do you completely destroy 100+GB of data in 3 seconds! I'm devastated right now, I feel like I could cry, I spent so much time putting that collection together just to have one click wipe it all away. Someone please tell me that they're not really gone, just lost or something. Surely they've got to be retrievable somehow?!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0 3 years 7 months ago #38921

• rockminstrel
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The Script does not delete anything, it just renames the files. If you open Comicrack, can you see your stuff in folder or library view? CR will show the path to single files at the bottom of the window. Please post some of these paths so we can see where your collection went. Then we can work on getting your comics "home".
The following user(s) said Thank You: beardedbaker

Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0 3 years 7 months ago #38928

Ok, so I think what happened was a little different than what I said before. I already had an existing comic library folder (M:\Comics) and wanted to clean it up, so I scraped metadata for all my comics, and then ran the clean up script. After checking the folders in explorer, it looked like some new folders were created, but the old ones weren't cleaned up, so I thought I might just migrate the library to a new organized folder, delete the old one, and then recreate the directory and migrate the library back. So I created a second folder on the drive (M:\Organized Comics) and tell the script to set that as my new library folder and tell it to run. The script comes back with a success message (I think), but then comicrack crashes, and when I open it back up I see there are now only 7 comics in my library. Going back to explorer, I now find that the old library is nearly empty, and that the new library has a few comics in it, but it's mostly full of empty title folders (some did get moved, looks like the program made it through the "C's" before it failed). On a good note, using a deleted file recovery tool allowed me to see most if not all of the cbr & cbz files, but it looks like the majority were in the process of being renamed at the time and now have filenames not at all related to their contents.

I'll update again once the files are finished recovering.

Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0 3 years 7 months ago #38929

Looks Like I got most of them back ok. I did find a few in a folder called RAW files, separated into .rar and .zip directories. These have all just been renamed sequentially, i.e. File001.rar, file002.rar, etc. Any ideas on how to recover those filenames? Or am I going to be hand editing them for the next few days?

Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0 3 years 7 months ago #38932

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
This is an obsolete script. Please do not use it. Use Library organiser instead.

Here is a note from the developer of this script:

oraclexview wrote:
600 is right. The Library Organizer add-on is like a 1000 times better than this old script of mine, thus I stopped updating/developing it any further. It has run its course. Think of it being like Windows 98. It's way past time for you all to at least upgrade to Win 7. Lol

Here are many of my comments, which mostly go unnoticed:

600WPMPO wrote:
600WPMPO wrote:
As I have said earlier, apart from purely theoretical/programming reasons, there is no need to use this now-obsolete script, as we now have the *Editors' Choice* Library Organizer!
I wrote the comment above about 3 years back, & people are still using this obsolete script. Hmmmph... :pinch:
600WPMPO wrote:
Using the 'Organize Library Files & Folders' script instead of the 'Library organiser' is like using CDispleyEx instead of ComicRack. :dry:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0 3 years 5 months ago #39571

• Morgenstern72
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Is there a way that only the folder/file names are renamed without making a new folder structure? I do not like the folder structure, I like to keep my comics sorted by other means than publisher.
Proud owner of ComicRack for Windows (Donation) and Android (Full Version)

Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0 3 years 5 months ago #39572

• tino55
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Morgenstern72 wrote:
Is there a way that only the folder/file names are renamed without making a new folder structure? I do not like the folder structure, I like to keep my comics sorted by other means than publisher.

you can have any kind of folder structure you like, am not sure what you want or i could help you further but if you go into the configuration/settings you can change the folder settings to literally anything.

Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0 3 years 4 months ago #39911

• Trench
  • Fresh Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
This is an obsolete script. Please do not use it. Use Library organiser instead.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, a ton of people (especially new users) use this script because it's still on the main download page ( comicrack.cyolito.com/downloads/ComicRack/Addons/Scripts/ ). Is there any way it could be replaced with Library Organizer? I had no idea about Library Organizer until I started using the forums.

Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0 3 years 4 months ago #39917

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Trench wrote:
it's still on the main download page ( comicrack.cyolito.com/downloads/ComicRack/Addons/Scripts/ ). Is there any way it could be replaced with Library Organizer?
I agree that this old script of mine, which is still functional and thus usable, is quite a bit inferior to Stonepaw's Library Organizer script in terms of customization options, so I second the idea of having it replaced on the main script download page (comicrack.cyolito.com/downloads/ComicRack/Addons/Scripts/) with the latest version of Library Organizer. I believe this would be a job for cYo since I don't think my rights give me permission to edit moderate actual site pages (only forum threads). :)
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by oraclexview.

Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0 3 years 4 months ago #39918

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 268
Trench wrote:
600WPMPO wrote:

Unfortunately, a ton of people (especially new users) use this script because it's still on the main download page ( comicrack.cyolito.com/downloads/ComicRack/Addons/Scripts/ ). Is there any way it could be replaced with Library Organizer? I had no idea about Library Organizer until I started using the forums.
I always forget that that page is available. I've put Library Organizer there now.

I do have permission to update that area so I can remove/update Organize Library Files & Folders if you wish Oraclexview
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Stonepaw.
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds

Who's Online

We have 301 guests and 5 members online