Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: Comic Vine scraper with books that are one-shots or have odd numbering

Comic Vine scraper with books that are one-shots or have odd numbering 3 years 1 month ago #40637

The topic looks a little confusing, because I don't know if there's an actual name to it. But I have several issues that have numbering like #251b, and when I try to use the comic vine scraper on it, I can't find the issue in the series list when it pulls it up.

One specific example is The Amazing Spider-Man #685b. It's a one shot that's part of the ends of the earth story arc, but I can't pull the data from comic vine (since that issue number isn't actually real.

Is there a way to handle these? As it currently stands now, my comic rack library has several amazing spider-man #1 issues that are next to each other, but they are clearly from a different series that ties into the amazing spider-man story line. I'd like to be able to go through and read this series from beginning to end and have the tie ins at their appropriate point.

Any thoughts about this?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Comic Vine scraper with books that are one-shots or have odd numbering 3 years 1 month ago #40640

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 508
The Comic Vine Scraper should not have any problems with issues that have letters as part of the number. If the issue is available on on Comic Vine (and numbered the same way) it should find it.

So the reason "The Amazing Spider-Man #685b" can't be found is because there is no issue 685b on Comic Vine:

www.comicvine.com/the-amazing-spider-man/4050-2127/

Perhaps the issue is there, but under a different name/issue number?

As a side note, there have been some other serious problems with Comic Vine over the last few days, which makes it so you won't be able to find ANY comics if you try searching right now. Comic Vine is working to fix the issue.

comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/32-news-and-...aper?start=560#40609

Comic Vine scraper with books that are one-shots or have odd numbering 3 years 1 month ago #40643

• Banedon
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
From what I'm able to see with a bit of google-fu, at least with regards to that specific Amazing Spider-Man comic, the letter simply refers to the variant cover of the issue. When the scraper prompts for the issue, select the issue number and check the variant covers for it...and you should find the right one.

Comic Vine scraper with books that are one-shots or have odd numbering 3 years 1 month ago #40662

OK awesome. Thanks a bunch for the help guys.

For now, I pulled the series into it's own list so I could scrape them there, and I looked at the titles of some of the other ones in the list, and used the alternate name in there to scrape them as well.

I saw the other posting about comic vine searching not working from the scraper, so I've been using the URL workaround.

I'll have to do scraping a little at a time then to make sure I can get everything situated correctly.

Thanks again for the assistance. :)
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Who's Online

We have 224 guests and 4 members online