Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: [Script] Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta)

[Script] Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 year 4 months ago #45465

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 91
Ok... this last week I have been playing with the comicrack script api and I have been doing some scripts... In this case it is one that takes a comic (or comics) and tries to find those values fields that are the same (at least most of the time) in any volume and that are empty, and then it search in the library for comics of the same volume that has already this information and use them to complete the empty ones...

The values it works with are: Imprint, Format, Count and Series Group (note that all but Imprint are not scrapped by comicvine scrapper)

The script will only modified those fields that are empty, and not modify the ones that were input before...

The script will work best with comics scrapped with comicvine scrapper (using the comicvine_volume custom value), but most of the code I wrote is for trying to recognize comics of the same volume without this... still, it will not work in all cases...

I am new in programming, and scripting, so please... use this scrip on your own risk... (I recommend trying it first with a few comics to see if it work well with your collection comics). Also remember this is still BETA and need a lot of beta testing...

The script tries to copy the values from the "nearest" comic in your library to the one you are applying it... So, if for example, in the middle of the volume you change SeriesGroup (as I did with marvel now comics for example), when you add the next one, it will take the series group from the last one... Only having to modify the first one you want to change :)

The script also search for comics before the one applied to, and AFTER it... So, if you have for example a number 2 with some info, it will work in number 1 (although it always prioritize the comics before it if exist)

Each value field work independently, so you can have a comic copy the series group from a comic that has it, and the format from other comic that has it... Always trying to be consistent with the info it "scrap" (for example not to copy SeriesGroup from a TPB, and Format from a Series)

It also detect between series and tpb (with usually are the most problematic to divide one from the other, because they usually share not only the same name and volume, but it also are published sometimes at the same time...), by the premise that TPB are usually > 80mb and comic issues <80mb (this difference only applies when the script has to decide between copying info from a tpb or another comic... not in 99% of the cases where file size doesn't matter)

The script will work with any comic that has a "series title" in its info... but the more info it has, the better it will find comics of the same volume... (It takes into consideration things as Volume (this is the second most important), year, month, number, format, etc)

I found it most useful for those of us who constantly add new comics to our library and have to add format, series group, etc to each comic after "comicvinescrapping" it... With this scrip you will only need to do it once per title (with the first number, or the one you want to change) and after that it will be automatic...

It is also useful for adding lost comic numbers to our library without having to remember or search what seriesgroup or format we put to the old ones...

All in all, if you like having your library organized, it is a very good complement to comicvine scrapper :)

Edit: Last Version 1.8:

File Attachment:

File Name: Autocomple...-7-8.zip
File Size:7 KB

For installing it just extract the .py into your script folder and restart comicrack... You will find the "Autocomplete Volume Values" in the "Automation" menu, in the "right click menu" for the selected comics you want to autocomplete :)

I would be grateful for anyone sending me their opinion, bugs, ideas of how to improve it and any other kind of feedback :P
Last Edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by Xelloss.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rmagere, ChrisR

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 year 4 months ago #45481

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
Sooo... anybody tried this? Find it useful? Any suggestion?

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 year 4 months ago #45493

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 247
The script falls between two stalls for me. for totally unscraped books, it isn't recognising many books (even if I add the year), but for scraped books I already have lots of Data Manager rules to handle everything else.

It also doesn't seen to handle proposed values, which is a minor point but again if you want to use it on totally unscraped books feels necessary.

Ideally I would like it to handle unscraped books better and populate comicvine_volume so that you can then scrape without semi-automatic intervention for.

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 year 4 months ago #45495

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the feedback!

I will add propose values to the script... I never used then, so I didn't think about using it, but you are right, that would be very useful!

The idea of copying comic_volume is great! I didn't think it could be used to better scrapping (I used it mostly for scrapped books that don't have data manager rules in my collection, as miniseries and such, that are released every week). I will se to including it :)

About the unrecognised comics, did the comic have exactly the same title? It isn't meant to recognize similar titles as comicvine scrapper does (although I could make some work with that, but I prefered to avoid mistakes rather than doing guesses, however now that you mention using it before scrapping for scrapping I will try to see if I can make some improving with title recognising, or in other words recognising different titles at all). That said, I don't think I can make a better recognising algorothm that the one used in the scrapper, which is really excellent and improved by a lot of debugging and years of uses... But I can try to use already filled data in the library to better guess the comics...

Again, thanks for the feedback, and if you can upload info about the comics not recognized it would be very useful! :)

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 year 4 months ago #45499

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
Here it is version 0.3 :) If version 0.1 was ideal for comics already scrapped... this version was improved for working with comics not scrapped

/edited/

Many changes:

*- I added what jkthemac asked about not "comicvined" comics... Now it copies the volume_id of comicvine scrapper of comics already scrapped and help to scrap faster :P (take in consideration it sometimes doesn't guess well and sometimes it doesn't risk guessing)
*- I added a "guessing algorithm" that works better for identifying comics which Series Titles are not exactly the same (I want to improve it later)
*- It now also searches and works with proposed values

I didn't have much time to test it deeply... But I tried with a few unscrapped comics and it works perfectly! Tomorrow I will dedicate some time to debugging it better, but I wanted to upload the modified version so that anybody can test it if wanted to XD

REMEMBER IT IS STILL BETA AND NEED A LOT OF DEBUGGING TO DO, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

edit: Version 0.4: Better unicode handling and recognizing:

File Attachment:

File Name: Autocomple...-2-3.zip
File Size:3 KB
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Xelloss.

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 year 4 months ago #45505

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
Nice to see you include my suggestions, I will check it out more completely in the week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xelloss

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 year 3 months ago #45537

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
Last version:

File Attachment:

File Name: Autocomple...lues.zip
File Size:3 KB

A LOT of minor improvements in name and number recognition :)

My next step: Trying to make it faster, with all last changes, the script is taking a lot of time when used with many comics... And I think I know how to make it much faster
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Xelloss.

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 year 3 months ago #45540

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
The second version seemed to work very well with new comics. It only struggled with a point issue #1.5 for example, and the odd issue that had names that were not quite the same on comicvine. Not sure if either of those things are worth patching.

Will take a look at the latest version soon. I did notice it was a little slow when doing many at once, but it easily makes up for it by allowing more specific scrapes.

I did wonder if it was worth copying Main Character, as that is usually a volume specific value.

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 year 3 months ago #45542

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
The last version works with 1.5 and so... I added a lot of fixes for that kind of things...

About comic names, please send me any comic name that is different in comicvine, I am trying to improve the rules for that kind of things... Trying to bypass common differences...

I am still working in speed issues... Last night I made some improvements with that, but it is still much slower that it should be... That is because I work each field separately to improve "scrapping"... but I have to find a way to do that and not search the whole library so many times...

About Main Character, I don't really work with that field, so I never thought about that... It would be quite easy to add that field, but I am not sure if it is true that a volume keep their main characters during all its run...

As usual, thanks for the feedback!

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 year 3 months ago #45543

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
I think the Main Character thing is based on many of our preferences here within the forum community. Because that field is not populated in a scrape a lot of us use it as a way of sub-categorising series group rather than ascertaining exactly which character or team is the main one.

So in other words for all of anthology books I wouldn't use Main Character, but for most volumes I would either keep it blank or use it as a subcategory of series group. See for example 600WPMPO's organisers, or my rules for ANAD comics. Its quite common for us to use that field this way within this community.

So for example we might use Spider-Man as a series group for all of Marvel's spider books, and then use Silk, Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen or even Spider-Man again as a sub category by populating the Main Character field.

Or some use Gotham as a series group and Batman / Batgirl etc. as the sub-category.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by jkthemac.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Who's Online

We have 283 guests and 4 members online