Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: [Script] Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta)

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 year 6 months ago #45544

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 118
I use imprint for that, hahaha

I didn't know what imprint was when I started using CR, and I didn't know about custom fields either... and I needed subgroups and Imprint was rarely used...

Now it is too late to change all my collection, so I continue using imprint as subgroup XD I know... It's just wrong...

About Main Characters, I will add it in the next version then... It really is easy to add, although it will make it a bit slower too

I am thinking in creating a configuration window where people can enable and disable value fields... so that it is faster if you want just some fields... but I will have to do some searching to know how to do that with the CR api :P
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Xelloss.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 year 6 months ago #45545

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok, new version XD

This time I improve speed quite a bit... still searching for better ways of searching values so that it takes even less time without sacrificing recognition... but I think the difference this time is notorious!

I added Main Characters field copy WHEN SERIES GROUP IS COPIED (differently with other fields that work separately, Main Characters will be copied only when Series Group is copied and FROM the same comic Series Group was copied... and it will overwrite the old Main Characters value if existed, this was done thinking Series Group is always tied to Main Character)

As usual, any feedback is welcomed!

File Attachment:

File Name: Autocomple...-3-4.zip
File Size:3 KB

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 year 6 months ago #45561

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
Again... New version XD (I know nobody cares, but bleh)

This time it jumps many versions (from 0.8 to 1.1) because I put a lot of work in the code during the weekend... and I modified A LOT OF IT and works a lot better now :)

The speed is now 100x faster (Although I still think it can be improved more, I think this is the last very notorious difference I will achieve in performance), as it works quite different now as how it searches for data in the library...

Apart from that, I commented all the code so that if someone want to see inside it how it works, it will be "understandable" and not a lot of "rare code" (that's why the script size is 3 time bigger than before)

I also added a lot of code to improve "data matching" between comics in the library and comics selected... (specially for series with numbers in it)

I STRONGLY recommend to use this versions instead of the older ones

As usual, I remind you this is STILL BETA and that it still need a lot of debugging... but I can assure you it was already fully functional with all the comics and cases I tested it.

Now what I would need is a lot of users beta testing and feedback please, as every comic collection is a different world and I can only test it in my own collection...

different behavior: This version also copy the "Series complete" information from the comics in your library to your selected comics (yes/no), as all comics in the same volume would share this data.

Note: I am planning to release the first non beta version, with the auto installing package, icon and all that... But I would really like to have some debugging feedback before that to make it more secure for using :/

Next version: Apart from more and more debugging, I want to add now to the code some console debugging output for future developing and better feedback. I am also thinking in adding an option windows where users can enable and disable which of all the data the script work with they want to "scrap" (instead of just all of it enabled)

version 1.1:

File Attachment:

File Name: Autocomple...es-2.zip
File Size:6 KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: jkthemac

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) - not so beta anymore... 1 year 6 months ago #45569

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Things are going much faster and smoother with the latest version. So far no problems except the volume field isn't populating any more.

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) - not so beta anymore... 1 year 6 months ago #45572

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
If by populating you mean copied, volume field was never copied (as with Series Name, both are kept as they are for comicvine scrapper to complete)

It would be easy to add, I just didn't think it needed... I will add it in the next version (It will copy series name and volume from the comic it copies the comicvine volume_id)

thanks for the feedback!

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) - not so beta anymore... 1 year 6 months ago #45574

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
OK, could have sworn it did. Volume being the primary volume value. Maybe I had just not noticed before scraping.

I suspect a lot of my feedback is based on using the script slightly differently to you, as a first step before scraping. It is making me rethink my workflow for new issues, as it theoretically requires me to write fewer rules for Data Manager to categorise things once I have at least one issue categorised.

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) - not so beta anymore... 1 year 6 months ago #45575

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
To tell you the truth, originally, I created this script to avoid creating new data manager rules every week with any limited series or not one shot specials... The idea was, as you mentioned, to only complete some volume fields (Series group, Imprint, format) only one time, and then, without doing anything, the following ones released every week to auto complete themselves... In this version of the script, the idea was to first use comicvine scrapper and then to complete those fields (that were not scrapped) from the ones already completed... Not only doing completing this fields much easier and faster, but without mistakes I usually make completing them manually... (some titles I first completed as series and then as limited, or one shots that weren't one shots and were then limited series... or series group I remembered wrong)

I also added, as a plus, a lot of code to try and copy this fields even if the completed comics were not scrapped... But that was for "just in case"... it wasn't thought to be used that way...

THEN, you mentioned to copy the cv volume_id to make scrapping more automatic... something I didn't know it worked that way, and I completely change the objetive of the script for that... (I must say I loved the idea). As a result, I had to improve a lot how not scrapped comics were recognized and matched with new comics... something I am still working on doing. Since then, I begin using the script myself BEFORE scrapping, although it is still useful for copying not scrapped fields...

90% of the changes that I made since then, were taking in consideration this use in specific... as, in spite of some minor bug fixes, the first use (using comicvine id to complete not scrapped fields) was quite finished when I released the first version... (I improved a lot the speed though)

btw: As for the last version, it first try to copy volume_id from other comics, and THEN use this to complete other fields... So that it should (and I repeat IT SHOULD) work exactly the same doing it before or after comicvine scrapping IF THE VOLUME is correctly recognised by the script (although of course doing it before make it scrapping faster :P)

Even my intention is to recognise as many comics as posible, I am more worried to have comics wrongly completed by the script, than to recognise more comics... as not recognised comics can be more easily completed than wrongly recognised detected after using the script...

That is the reason, for example, that if you have number 2 of a comic, and you use the script in an unscrapped number 1 of the same series in the same year, it will not be recognised... As unscrapped comics usually don't have proposed month, and so, it is imposible for the script to know if the number 1 comic was published before or after the number 2 comic... and in not knowing that, the script cannot know if the comic is really number 1 of that volume, or number 1 of a new volume in the same year (for example using the script in number 1 of the second 2015 volume of Howard the Duck, with number 2 of the same volume not present, would make it match the comic wrongly with the number 2 of the first volume... so instead, I ignore this kind of cases)

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) - not so beta anymore... 1 year 5 months ago #45661

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
Last version:

File Attachment:

File Name: Autocomple...-4-5.zip
File Size:6 KB

I only fixed a lot of minor bugs... didn't work much in the script this time, just little changes I did while using it.

I strongly recommended this version for new number 1 comics of DC this month (as there was an error in a "if loop" that made the script think they were part of the old volumes)
The following user(s) said Thank You: perezmu, rmagere, jkthemac, phaedrusnyc

Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) - not so beta anymore... 3 months 1 week ago #48108

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
Last Version (1.8):

File Attachment:

File Name: Autocomple...-5-6.zip
File Size:7 KB

Now if it finds a duplicate (same Series and same comicvine_issue id), the script will copy almost all fields not scrapped by comicvine. This include custom values.

I took the idea from a topic where the user wanted a quick way to deal with new versions of the same comic (better scans for example), without having to complete all the fields again.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Who's Online

We have 247 guests and no members online