Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: [Script] Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta)

[Script] Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 month 5 days ago #48852

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 139
Try this... Pick a comic from a already scraped volume that has more than 2 comics (the one you picked and at least another one from the same volume must exist), then delete the "format field" from the one you picked and complete this field in the other one...

After that, select the comic with no "format field" and run my script on it.... If it is working, then it should add the format from the other one...

What the script does search for comics "similar" to the ones you selectes that has fields completed, and then copy that values to the empty fields in the selected comics...

By similar, it means a lot of rules that choose the "nearest" comic to the one you selected... If the comics are comicvine scraped, they will recognise them perfectly by volumeid, and then just find the nearest number to copy the data from... If the comics are not scraped, it will use a lot of rules and priorities to search for the nearest volume and then again, the nearest number... (this method doesn't work 100% of the time, but for me it works about 90% of the times)

The fields it copies are the ones usually shared by volumes not scraped by comicvine scraper:

Series Group
Format
Count (max number)
Imprint
comicvine_volumeid
etc

In case the comic you selected is scraped and you already have a comic scraped with exactly the same COMIC_ID (not volume, but comic), the script will copy almost every field not completed...

PLEASE IF YOU ARE TESTING MY SCRIPTS FOR THE FIRST TIME ALWAYS TEST THEM IN ONLY ONE OR TWO COMICS, never test them in a large number of comics unless you are sure of what you are doing... U_U
Last Edit: 1 month 5 days ago by Xelloss.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

[Script] Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 month 5 days ago #48857

• Nocta
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
OK, so I did it wrong right away because I tested your script on my entire collection yesterday! :unsure:

I did not have the format of any the comics in my collection (I'm a bit lost with this field, I'm not American so I guess I'm lacking a bit of cultural understanding) so I tried with the Imprint field and it worked perfectly fine for one of the "100 bullets" issues I have.

I have no idea how much changes happened after running the script on my entire collection but so far all my books are still scraped properly (at least for the obvious fields like title, cover, issue number, serie).

Do you want me to make any specific test now that it seemed I passed the crash test!? :lol:
Last Edit: 1 month 5 days ago by Nocta.

[Script] Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 month 5 days ago #48858

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
But the script doesn't work in the fields modified by the scraper... It is indeed for the fields not completed by the scraper...

Perhaps you misunderstood what the script is for... You use this script for this type of situations:

1- You have unscraped comics of volumes with already scraped comics (for example you have 1 2 and 3 of a volume already scraped, and you have just added comic 4 and want to scrap it quickly), and you want to scrap them quickly and automatically without confirming. You use the script on the unscraped comic, and luckily it will recognise the already scraped comics and put the volume id of the correct volume. After that you scrap it for the scraper to complete the scraper fields (but easier, with now search confirmation). This usage is useful when for example you add the weekly comics (many comics from different volumes you already have some number) and you want to scrap them easily. Just select them, run my script on them, and then run the scraper on them... and see the difference with only scraping.

2- You have already scraped comics, but you want to complete the fields the scraper don't complete (series group, imprint, etc) with the same value from comics scraped of the same volume. For example you have 1 2 and 3 of a volume with the format "Series", of course 4 is also series becuase it is of the same volume... Instead of doing it manually, you just run the script, the script will find the 1 2 and 3, and will copy the format from the 3 into the 4. (and all other fields that are the same in a volume)

3- You have two comics scraped with the same comicvine_id (duplicated comic), the old one completed with all the fields you wanted, the new one with only the scraped fields completed... you run the script on the new one and it will copy all fields from the old one (% of read, custom values, etc... in adittion to the fields of the second case)

It is NEVER thought to replace the scraper... You will always have to use the scraper to populate the scraper fields... (in case 1 it will help to make the scraping easier, but it is till needed to be done)

In other words, if you don't use fields not completed by the scraper (format, series group, etc) and you have already scraped your comics... there is no use for this script for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nocta

[Script] Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 month 5 days ago #48859

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
By the way, I am not English native speaker either (I speak Argentina Spanish), I think you must realised that by now because of my terrible English XD

About formats, I don't know if I use it right either... but I use them like this:

Series : For most comics, the ones that are regular series with no known last issue till it reaches it
1 Shot: For comics with only 1 number in the volume that are not other types
Limited Series: For miniseries with a limited number of comics asigned from the first comic (usually from 3 to 12 max, but already decided from number 1)
Special : For comics that are a separate special of a Series Volume (but with different volume id in comicvine)
Annual: For comics with Annual in its name, usually separated from a regular series
TPB: Trade Paper Back, for comics that are collection of regular comics but are not HardCovers
HC: Hardcover, for comics that are hardcover edition
Preview: For Comics that are previews of other comics
Artbook: For comics that are artbooks
Reference: For handbooks and guides
Giant Size: For Giant Size comics

etc, etc, etc
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nocta

[Script] Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 month 5 days ago #48862

• Nocta
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks a lot for the deep explanation!
Now I get it. I will use it whenever I add new issues of ongoing series and see how much it helps the following scrapping. I'll let you know.

N.B.: Your understanding of formats makes sense to me btw. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xelloss

[Script] Auto-complete Volume Values Script (Beta) 1 month 5 days ago #48863

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
Just be careful with old unscraped comics with very common names.... or TPBS that share names with their regular series...

If you add many (more than just 3 or 4) comics of the same volume at the same time I never recommend using this script before the scraping... it doesn't justified the risk, it is better to make sure the volume is perfectly recognised in the scraper search... (you select it once, and the the scraper will use it for the others)
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds

Who's Online

We have 292 guests and 4 members online