Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: Huge Scripts folder

Huge Scripts folder 1 year 5 months ago #45665

• Marv74br
  • Fresh Boarder
My system was running low on disk space, so I used an app to show me large folders and I found out that the C:\Users\*me*\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\ComicRack\Scripts folder was nearly 20 gigs! I opened this folder and inside of it I found a LOT of comics with the extension renamed to .cbz.tmp ... what could have caused this?

I am moving them all out to an external drive (where my comics are, 'cause my c: disk is a small sdd) and renaming them back to .cbz, is that okay?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Huge Scripts folder 1 year 5 months ago #45666

• Marv74br
  • Fresh Boarder
I also noticed that all files where .cbz, not a single .cbr

Huge Scripts folder 1 year 5 months ago #45670

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
You may want to wait for the app developer to chime in on this one. I've never heard of that directory before. It's not in my setup. Personally I would say that it's not needed, yet the developer may say otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marv74br

Huge Scripts folder 1 year 5 months ago #45671

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
That seems to be a cache folder but not the standard place that the program's data would be stored and the fact that it is a scripts folder suggests that the culprit may indeed be a script that is causing the problem.

Comic rack itself wouldn't usually store much in %AppData/Local% although it may be worth checking where your cache is saved as I had a massive cache folder taking up valuable SDD space once after an update seemed to reset where my cache was stored.

For an SDD it is worth investigating ways of moving %AppData% (or more generally %Users%) anyway because it doesn't need to be there.

As to %VirtualStore% it is possible either comic rack or a script are trying to save some files into a folder that only had administrator permissions, as that is a place Windows uses to place files it is not allowed to write somewhere else, so again double check your various cache folders and make sure ComicRack has permission to actually use those folders.

(Let me guess are you using Windows 10 by any chance?)
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by jkthemac.

Huge Scripts folder 1 year 5 months ago #45672

• Marv74br
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, Windows10. I also noticed when I placed the files back on the HDD with the rest of the collection that most of them are already there, they were copies of the files... really weird.

Huge Scripts folder 1 year 5 months ago #45673

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Marv74br wrote:
Yes, Windows10. I also noticed when I placed the files back on the HDD with the rest of the collection that most of them are already there, they were copies of the files... really weird.
I'm using Windows 7 still so that probably explains why I've never seen that directory. Most definitely never add any files from that directory to your library. Like I said, these are files you can most likely ignore and delete...especially if they are used for some type of cache purpose as jkthemac suspects.

Whatever files you added to your library from that directory, I would go back and remove them from your library.

After you've done that what you can also do is close ComicRack, then backup that virtual store directory to another drive with more space and also backup your main XML library file as well. After you have all that backed up, you can then try deleting all the contents of that original virtual store directory and then try opening ComicRack again. I'd suspect that everything would be fine, yet if not, you could always go to your backup files.

Though if you're not comfortable with any of that process, I'd wait to hear back from the developer, cYo, or any other users who have run into the same issue and found a solution.

Huge Scripts folder 1 year 5 months ago #45674

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
Actually I disagree that they are deletable. They may very well represent the most recent copy of those files. It may also explain where the files that people complain disappear go. I have long asserted this is a Windows 10 permissions issue. Many people online blame OneDrive but not having Windows 10 myself I can't confirm that.

The fact that it is a cache that ComicRack or a script is not purposely writing to doesn't mean that isn't where the operating system is storing the most recent version of the file.

(you couldn't pay me to upgrade, Windows have yet again released a beta disguised as commercial software)

Huge Scripts folder 1 year 5 months ago #45675

• Marv74br
  • Fresh Boarder
I couldn't wait any longer because I had literally ZERO space left on the main (sys) drive, so I already moved them to the External HD and on the library. No problems at all with the ComicRack app whasover after that.
oraclexview wrote:
I'm using Windows 7 still so that probably explains why I've never seen that directory. Most definitely never add any files from that directory to your library. Like I said, these are files you can most likely ignore and delete...especially if they are used for some type of cache purpose as jkthemac suspects.

Whatever files you added to your library from that directory, I would go back and remove them from your library.

After you've done that what you can also do is close ComicRack, then backup that virtual store directory to another drive with more space and also backup your main XML library file as well. After you have all that backed up, you can then try deleting all the contents of that original virtual store directory and then try opening ComicRack again. I'd suspect that everything would be fine, yet if not, you could always go to your backup files.

Though if you're not comfortable with any of that process, I'd wait to hear back from the developer, cYo, or any other users who have run into the same issue and found a solution.

Huge Scripts folder 1 year 5 months ago #45676

• Marv74br
  • Fresh Boarder
They are identical to the ones on the library to every single byte.

Huge Scripts folder 1 year 5 months ago #45677

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
Marv74br wrote:
They are identical to the ones on the library to every single byte.

Interesting. Which scripts are you running? Would you have used Export Books on all of them for example?
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Who's Online

We have 259 guests and 3 members online