Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: Suggestion/Request: Auto-populate "of x" issue field

Suggestion/Request: Auto-populate "of x" issue field 1 year 3 months ago #45998

I'm wondering whether there might be a way to create a script where the "of x issues" field could be automatically populated based on the number of existing issues in a completed series. In other words, you have, for example, all 100 issues of "100 Bullets" and they're all checked as a completed series and appropriately numbered -- would there be a way to automatically count up that 100 issues and then enter 100 in the appropriate field so they are all properly "1 of 100, 2 of 100, 3 of 100, etc."?
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by phaedrusnyc.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Suggestion/Request: Auto-populate "of x" issue field 1 year 3 months ago #46003

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
I know that Comic Vine Scrapper tries to grab that information if it is available. That's the problem. It would only work IF comic vine has the issue marked as completed with the total issue count. And then you have the problem if they go out of order, Deadpool or Annuals for example.

Suggestion/Request: Auto-populate "of x" issue field 1 year 3 months ago #46008

I guess what I'm suggesting would be a supplement to the Scraper. My experience with CV Scraper is that a significant number of issues scraped do not have that information, so I'm proposing something along the lines of the script that calculate month and year fields in issues that don't have that info based on selecting issues that do info -- that's been really invaluable to me.

If you multi-select issues and mark them as complete, that's very easy -- just a check mark. You can do hundreds of comics in one fell swoop. But doing that with miniseries that are all variable in length is much harder and more tedious. I tried to come up with some sort of syntax that would manage that in Data Manager but I was stumped (especially since I'm terrible at understanding regular expressions).

So, my thought --

Step 1. User marks series as "complete" (which makes up the vast majority of series out there of course).
Step 2. Proposed script scans books and when it finds books that meet the condition of A. Having the same series name and B. Being marked complete...
Step 3. Calculates the number of issues in the series
Step 4. Adds that number to to "of x" field.

Is this impossible? I admit working it out was impossible for me, but I also suck at this sort of thing.

Suggestion/Request: Auto-populate "of x" issue field 1 year 3 months ago #46032

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
phaedrusnyc wrote:
I guess what I'm suggesting would be a supplement to the Scraper. My experience with CV Scraper is that a significant number of issues scraped do not have that information, so I'm proposing something along the lines of the script that calculate month and year fields in issues that don't have that info based on selecting issues that do info -- that's been really invaluable to me.

If you multi-select issues and mark them as complete, that's very easy -- just a check mark. You can do hundreds of comics in one fell swoop. But doing that with miniseries that are all variable in length is much harder and more tedious. I tried to come up with some sort of syntax that would manage that in Data Manager but I was stumped (especially since I'm terrible at understanding regular expressions).

So, my thought --

Step 1. User marks series as "complete" (which makes up the vast majority of series out there of course).
Step 2. Proposed script scans books and when it finds books that meet the condition of A. Having the same series name and B. Being marked complete...
Step 3. Calculates the number of issues in the series
Step 4. Adds that number to to "of x" field.

Is this impossible? I admit working it out was impossible for me, but I also suck at this sort of thing.
if book.SeriesComplete == ComicRackEngine.YesNo.Yes:
    if book.Count == '' OR not book.Count == books.Count 
       book.Count = books.Count

this works ONLY if all books selected are from the same series and all books are selected when initiating.

what you are proposing is possible, and furthermore with more intensive coding possible to do on an entire library, if one desired.
probably wouldn't require more than 250 lines of code. I'd do it if i had the time but I currently don't. I may just write a utility script that does little tasks like this once data manager is stable.

However you should add a few more conditions to your idea. don't just match the Series Name, this will cause all volumes, specials, annuals, etc to be included, if the condition is instead Series Name & Volume & NOT Annual, Special, etc. this is prone to be more accurate.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by T3KN0Gh057.

Suggestion/Request: Auto-populate "of x" issue field 1 year 3 months ago #46042

Thank T3K! I'll give it a try and report back.

FWIW, this shouldn't affect annuals and specials if you use the titles from indicias, as I do. Most annuals and specials are treated as distinct series.

Suggestion/Request: Auto-populate "of x" issue field 1 year 2 months ago #46058

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 117
Take a look at my script:

comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/13-scripts/3...-not-so-beta-anymore

It autopopulate many fields, among which is this one :)

Usually I don't use it to much for this field because I complete it usually the whole volume altogether when the series is complete, but I had used it for old comics, for example, which I already had some issues with this field completed... (or when I replace a comic with a better copy of it), or for limited series, I just complete this field in the first issue and never worry about that again

I have improved a lot the algorithm which searches in all the library for comics of the same volume to copy the data from, but it works better if the comics are cv scrapped... Ideally it copies the field from the "nearest" comic to the one you apply the script to... (for example if you apply it in a comic issue number 8 and you have 2, 4 and 6 of the same volume with different info in this field, it will copy it from the number 6)
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Xelloss.
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Who's Online

We have 294 guests and 2 members online