Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: Any way to auto-generate Smart Lists?

Any way to auto-generate Smart Lists? 1 year 1 month ago #46314

• WildWildWest42
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
For instance, is there a script or some easy way to make a smart list for every writer you have listed in the library? That way, each list will show every comic written by that writer. I'd prefer it to be a Smart List, that way new comics get automatically added to the list when I obtain them.

Is such a thing possible?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Any way to auto-generate Smart Lists? 1 year 1 month ago #46315

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
I don't really think you need to. If you open up the library, and group on Writer won't that do what you want?

Any way to auto-generate Smart Lists? 1 year 1 month ago #46320

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
I cant help but agree, but that may not be the answer you were expecting. Over the years many people new to ComicRack focus in on lists and smart lists early on as the main way to interact with ComicRack. I know I did. However, such lists quickly become redundant and many find they end up reducing the number of lists they keep.

It is often far easier to use views, searches, filters and ad-hoc smart lists that you delete once you have finished with them.

I do keep a number of smart lists that I don't really use very much, but the majority I do use are for syncing purposes, for finding inconsistencies in data or checking for missing issues.

The rest I could probably delete and recreate whenever I needed them.

Remember you can always use "save list layout" to quickly switch to a view like one filtered by author or publisher, or one that orders things by date, series group etc. I probably have nearly as many saved views as I have Smart Lists.

Any way to auto-generate Smart Lists? 1 year 4 weeks ago #46327

• WildWildWest42
  • Fresh Boarder
jkthemac wrote:
I cant help but agree, but that may not be the answer you were expecting. Over the years many people new to ComicRack focus in on lists and smart lists early on as the main way to interact with ComicRack. I know I did. However, such lists quickly become redundant and many find they end up reducing the number of lists they keep.

It is often far easier to use views, searches, filters and ad-hoc smart lists that you delete once you have finished with them.

I do keep a number of smart lists that I don't really use very much, but the majority I do use are for syncing purposes, for finding inconsistencies in data or checking for missing issues.

The rest I could probably delete and recreate whenever I needed them.

Remember you can always use "save list layout" to quickly switch to a view like one filtered by author or publisher, or one that orders things by date, series group etc. I probably have nearly as many saved views as I have Smart Lists.

Yeah, it's primarily used for syncing purposes for me as well. I like to keep all of the updated Image comics on my tablet for reading, but new series get released all the time, and I'm always having to make new smart lists. I suppose I can just make one smart list for all published image comics too. Meh, I suppose there are ways and maybe I just tend to make it hard on myself lol. Thanks for the response!
Last Edit: 1 year 4 weeks ago by WildWildWest42.

Any way to auto-generate Smart Lists? 1 year 4 weeks ago #46328

• WildWildWest42
  • Fresh Boarder
boshuda wrote:
I don't really think you need to. If you open up the library, and group on Writer won't that do what you want?

Are you saying just switching the "views" listings? I primarily do it for syncing purposes, and a bit OCD on the library management aspect =P lol

Any way to auto-generate Smart Lists? 1 year 4 weeks ago #46331

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
WildWildWest42 wrote:
Yeah, it's primarily used for syncing purposes for me as well. I like to keep all of the updated Image comics on my tablet for reading, but new series get released all the time, and I'm always having to make new smart lists. I suppose I can just make one smart list for all published image comics too. Meh, I suppose there are ways and maybe I just tend to make it hard on myself lol. Thanks for the response!

Quick tip. You can sync a folder with lists in it, so one thing you can do is whenever a new volume you want to follow comes out <Alt>+drag that first issue onto your "Image Pull List" folder and from then on any issue that is released in that volume will be synced.

Feel free to open a thread in the comic discussion section if you want to discuss which you are reading. I am reading quite a few Image books.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 weeks ago by jkthemac.

Any way to auto-generate Smart Lists? 1 year 4 weeks ago #46332

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
WildWildWest42 wrote:
boshuda wrote:

Are you saying just switching the "views" listings? I primarily do it for syncing purposes, and a bit OCD on the library management aspect =P lol

Not exactly. In the 'Group By' drop-down to the right of 'Views' drop-down, select Writers. You can control-select to sub-group by more categories. For example, if you click on Writers to first sort by writers, then open the 'Group By' drop-down and ctrl-click on Series. ComicRack will now separate your books first by the author(s), then further by the series they worked on. You can show only the 'unread' books by clicking on 'Views' and ticking the 'Unread' option.

To do what (I think) jkethemac was referring to, you can save that list layout. Then you can open it up when you want those sorting options, and go back to the default list view when you want. Save the default list view, first. The options for that are the little paper-looking icon to the right of the 'Arrange By' icon. And, finally, the little icon to the right of that one with the big plus will allow you to save your sorted, filtered stuff into a smart list. I haven't really used it -- I tend to drag and drop the issues or the filter item to the list I want them in.

Any way to auto-generate Smart Lists? 1 year 4 weeks ago #46333

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
No I don't use it much either ;)

Any way to auto-generate Smart Lists? 1 year 4 weeks ago #46350

• WildWildWest42
  • Fresh Boarder
boshuda wrote:
WildWildWest42 wrote:
boshuda wrote:

Not exactly. In the 'Group By' drop-down to the right of 'Views' drop-down, select Writers. You can control-select to sub-group by more categories. For example, if you click on Writers to first sort by writers, then open the 'Group By' drop-down and ctrl-click on Series. ComicRack will now separate your books first by the author(s), then further by the series they worked on. You can show only the 'unread' books by clicking on 'Views' and ticking the 'Unread' option.

To do what (I think) jkethemac was referring to, you can save that list layout. Then you can open it up when you want those sorting options, and go back to the default list view when you want. Save the default list view, first. The options for that are the little paper-looking icon to the right of the 'Arrange By' icon. And, finally, the little icon to the right of that one with the big plus will allow you to save your sorted, filtered stuff into a smart list. I haven't really used it -- I tend to drag and drop the issues or the filter item to the list I want them in.

Holy wow, i had never known this was possible!! Been using this software for years and never knew this, thanks!!

Any way to auto-generate Smart Lists? 1 year 4 weeks ago #46351

• WildWildWest42
  • Fresh Boarder
jkthemac wrote:
WildWildWest42 wrote:

Quick tip. You can sync a folder with lists in it, so one thing you can do is whenever a new volume you want to follow comes out <Alt>+drag that first issue onto your "Image Pull List" folder and from then on any issue that is released in that volume will be synced.

Feel free to open a thread in the comic discussion section if you want to discuss which you are reading. I am reading quite a few Image books.

And again, never knew this either... omg, this is amazing, thank you!
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Who's Online

We have 298 guests and 5 members online