Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: [Script] Find Missing Comics using CV Offline (Updated: 18-Jun-2019!)

[Script] Find Missing Comics using CV Offline (Updated: 29-Jan-2019!) 1 month 1 week ago #63776

• Schlumph
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I feel this may be a dumb question - but where and what tools are you using to create this list.
If I open the mcl file the list makes sense, as in, I can see how its laided out - but when I go to Comic Vine API documentation I have no idea where to begin. Is there anything on GitHub to do this?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

[Script] Find Missing Comics using CV Offline (Updated: 29-Jan-2019!) 1 month 1 week ago #63777

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
Go to the first post of this topic, search for:

"New update script for python"

I didn't make it, it was a contribution from other user (slightly modified by me), and it works perfectly.

I used to make a big procedure to make the file, but since that script was made I do it in seconds XD

The problem is that you will need:

- A Comicvine API key (you have to register and get one in comicvien site)
- Correct version of Python installed in your pc to execute the script (you don't need to know how to program in python, just run the python.exe and the script in a command line - read the post to know how to run it)

The first time it can be a bit confusing how to put the parameters but once you did it once, it is really easy

The script works in an already created file, and it update it to the date you want it to be updated. Any question just post it here and I will help you to set it up.

how to use it:

Once you have your comicvine key and python installed, put the last version of the file in the python folder, put the script file in the python folder, and run in a cmd window the line that is explained in the first post :)
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Xelloss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rmagere, Schlumph

[Script] Find Missing Comics using CV Offline (Updated: 29-Jan-2019!) 1 month 1 week ago #63798

• Schlumph
  • Fresh Boarder
This is great, thanks for sharing - I already have Comicvine API and python so will go back and give it a try. Cheers

[Problems]
Okay so that didn't work for me - I get an error in my cmd window
"File "update_missing.py", line 45.
Then a SyntaxError:
"SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'

I have both Python2.7 and 3.7 on my PC and have tried in both folders.
In the python folder I have placed "update_missing.py" and renamed the last .mcl file to "missing.mcl". I have a valid Comic Vine API.
I then run "python update_missing.py missing.mcl missing_20190807.mcl [MyAPI] 2019-08-01 2019-08-07" from the python folder.

I feel I have followed all the instructions.... but have I missed something silly. Cheers
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Schlumph.

[Script] Find Missing Comics using CV Offline (Updated: 29-Jan-2019!) 1 month 1 week ago #63817

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
That's weird... it seems to be about the python syntaxis... your compiler seems to not accept prints like:

Print "text"

and ask for

Print(text)

I don't know why...

I use python 2.7 to run it, and it runs ok...

Edit: I did some research and it seems to be a change in syntaxis with python 3.x, are you sure you are running it with python 2.7?

I could edit the prints to make it python 3 compatible, but that will be the less of your problems if you run it with Python 3... (the request library used in this script for example is from python 2.7, and it doesn't work in 3)

I remembered when I used it the first time (the original version before my tweaks) I used IronPython and I had to download and use Python 2.7 for it to work

make sure when you are running it in the python 2.7 folder, the python.exe you are using is the one there, and not the one from the 3 version...

edit2: just in case: my last mcl version date is 2019-06-18 and not 2019-08-01, and I always recommend using a day before the version just in case.. so use 2019-06-17 as starting date if you are using the last mcl version :) Also, you don't need to rename the mcl file, it can help to know which date to use for updating :)

I am not much a programmer, so if someone can give me a hand creating a compiled .exe file that runs without python and all this command lines, I will upload that version for people to use it more easily. I could even make it so it automatically read the starting and ending date from the input file and system date, and search for the input file and create standard name for the output file, only needing to put your CV key as line input XD
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Xelloss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schlumph

[Script] Find Missing Comics using CV Offline (Updated: 29-Jan-2019!) 1 month 1 week ago #63818

• Schlumph
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the info - I am currently in work so will try it all again when I get home. Cheer.

[EDIT] Success Xelloss!

The problem was all mine and my computer. I had to install the Request script which I seemed to have been missing. Used Pip.exe (pip.exe install requests). I then attempted "update_missing.py" - this time it worked just perfectly. I did it again using a batch file and that worked even better. I think I will just create a cleaner batch file that I can run - just enter the last date (minus a day) and then let it do its thing.
Thanks for all your patience. I know, sadly, that comicrack pretty much feels abandoned these days but I really like it and its great that people like you are still around to help us less skilled out. Many thanks again for sharing and your help. Enjoy your weekend. :)
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Schlumph.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xelloss
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Who's Online

We have 90 guests and 3 members online