Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: how to move files to xternal hd w/out losing data?

how to move files to xternal hd w/out losing data? 8 years 4 months ago #4000

• fuKup
  • Fresh Boarder
i'm fairly new at this so bear with me...
but is there a method of getting my comic files off of my computer's hard drive and onto an external hard drive with out losing all the meta data i have entered by hand?

i've run out of room and would like to move my library to a external drive but i don't want to lose all of the lists i've made and file info i've added. any help would be greatly appreciated.

note: i was looking at the one thread about moving files and a poster commented that when he tried to use that script for exactly what i described, he lost all of the data.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:how to move files to xternal hd w/out losing data? 8 years 4 months ago #4002

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
What I've done when this issue presented itself, is I first converted all my comic files that weren't already in the CBZ format to the CBZ format. This way, ComicRack saves a XML data file within the comic zipped file that stores the metadata. The function to convert your files to the CBZ format is already built into ComicRack. Also, if you have Tags data that you don't want to lose, you are going to need to move data in the Tags field to the Notes field before you move your files to a different hard drive. perezmu has created a script that moves data in the Tags field to the Notes field.

Finally, you can use either of two scripts that will move your files to the new hard drive. The first one, and probably the best one to use, is the "Move Files - Relocate eComics within ComicRack" created by wadegiles. Or you can use the script I created, "Organize Library Files & Folders 2.0", but this script doesn't just move the files, it also renames them to a certain format.

Hopefully this helps!
Onyx X aka SoundWave

Re:how to move files to xternal hd w/out losing data? 8 years 4 months ago #4003

• fuKup
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks for the tips...
i did not have any idea i had to convert the files to CBZ

now, when you say that i have to move the "tags" data to the notes field, do you mean specifically any info i have in the field that says tags?
the info that i am concerned with losing are the fields for writer, penciler, title, inker, etc. do those fields carry over when i convert the files?

Re:how to move files to xternal hd w/out losing data? 8 years 4 months ago #4004

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
You don't absolutely have to convert them to the CBZ format, but myself and others have found that having your eComics in this format gives you the most assurance that ComicRack won't lose your metadata when the files are moved or if the database ever gets corrupted.

As far as Tags, yes, I do mean any info you have specifically stored in the "Tags" field should be moved to the "Notes" field before you move them to the new hard drive just as a precaution. We've found out that the ComicRack xml data scheme doesn't store the "Tags" info in the XML file. It is stored directly in the ComicRack internal database, so again, this data could potentially get lost if the eComic files are moved outside of the application, or if the application database get corrupted. Here is the link to perezmu's script that will move the Tags data to the Notes field.
Arturo's New Comics Toolbox 0.4

The fields for writer, penciler, title, inker will be carried over when you convert the files as long as you convert them from within the ComicRack application.

Onyx X aka SoundWave

Re:how to move files to xternal hd w/out losing da 8 years 4 months ago #4010

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
oraclexview wrote:
You don't absolutely have to convert them to the CBZ format, but myself and others have found that having your eComics in this format gives you the most assurance that ComicRack won't lose your metadata [...] The fields for writer, penciler, title, inker will be carried over when you convert the files as long as you convert them from within the ComicRack application.

Yep! I could not have explained it better myself! This explanation of yours should get some prominent place in the ComicRack documentation!
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Who's Online

We have 226 guests and 3 members online