Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: [Script Request] Next Alternative Number

[Script Request] Next Alternative Number 3 months 3 weeks ago #48021

• Rumik
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi there!

I’m a big fan of the Next Issue userscript but I like to group TPBs under the main series name so, for example, all the differently named Conan volumes can be neatly organised in a stack. Unfortunately the Next Issue script I use only looks at Issue numbers, which are always #1 for TBPs, do I was hoping someone could write me one for Alternative Number? Thus allowing me to organise my TPBs the way inlike without editing the main metadata.

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

[Script Request] Next Alternative Number 3 months 3 weeks ago #48023

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
How would it figure out which next issue to give you?

Let's say you have Preacher, Locke & Key and Hellboy TPB - and that you are reading Preacher.
I can see how it could pick the next one in order of date (i.e. the oldest unread) - however I am not sure how it would be able to tell that you are interested in reading the next "preacher tpb" as opposed to any other TPB that is oldest unread (or some similar).

I have the same problem with TPB I have just accepted that I need to modify the comic data.

[Script Request] Next Alternative Number 3 months 3 weeks ago #48029

• Rumik
  • Fresh Boarder
Well I assume the current script works by looking at the series name and issue number, this new script would use the Alternative Series ands Alternative Number fields. And we would just have to set those manually for TPBs.

Or maybe the script could just look at the Alternative Series Name and then use the volume number to work out the next one?
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by Rumik.

[Script Request] Next Alternative Number 3 months 3 weeks ago #48034

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
I had a look at the script in my script folder. It looks like the script itself is not that long (though it's made up of multiple files).

Given that the solution you are looking forward is quite simple, i.e.:
  • use Alternative Series instead of Series
  • use Volume instead of Number
I think you can probably just take the existing script do those replacements e.g.
def CreateFullSeries(series, volume):
	if series:
		ret = series
You could change the ret = series to ret=alternativeseries and see if it works.

As the main script calls another python file, which calls another python file it might require some finesse in identifying the minimal changes required (or you can create new functions for alternative series and switch at the very end).

Too many changes for me to try (given that I have my metadata changed) but might be worth for you to have a try.

[Script Request] Next Alternative Number 3 months 3 weeks ago #48035

• Rumik
  • Fresh Boarder
Hmm, I don't seem to have the same script... the one I'm using is Next Issues to Read by Pescuma, and strangely it makes references to Alternate Series Name and Alternate Number, but it doesn't have any configuration options, so I'm not sure why those references are there. Odd!

Anyway, we must have different scripts, because I can't find those lines you've quoted there.

I do appreciate the help tho!

[Script Request] Next Alternative Number 3 months 3 weeks ago #48036

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
I have v2 modified by Stuartp, tried to download version 3 but link seems dead.

Good luck with the search
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Who's Online

We have 390 guests and 7 members online