Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: (New) Import Comic Info From ComicVine

Re:(New) Import Comic Info From ComicVine 7 years 10 months ago #5161

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
cbanack wrote:
The intermittent nature of the problems people are experiencing suggests that the problem may have something to do with comicvine itself. The two possibilities I can think of:

1) Maybe when the Comic Book info on ComicVine is incomplete, it causes an error in the script? Then when the info on ComicVine is fixed, there error (confusingly) goes away?

2) Maybe when ComicVine is too slow (i.e. their servers are busy), that causes problems with the script? So sometimes the script will work for a certain comic book, and other times it won't?

Just some thoughts to help perezmu or anyone else who's looking at fixing some of the outstanding bugs.

Hi, sorry to take this long to answer... Thanks for the tips! The first one used to be a problem, but I think now I catch all the problems in this respect. Regarding the second one it does seem to be a problem... it seems to me that if the script does not get an answer in a given time it fails... I am not sure how to define the timeout time for the connection, but definitely I agree this can cause problems!

Thanks for your insight!

Cheers! :woohoo:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:(New) Import Comic Info From ComicVine 7 years 10 months ago #5164

• Bob
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks, that worked fine!

Um, next question - Let's say I import 100 issues of something, and see a lot of holes (dates mostly). I go in and fill them in on Comic Vine, then re-import and the dates don't 'take', I suspect because the old data is cached somewhere local? I suspect in one of those many, many appdata folders in Windows (I long for the days before 30 subdirectories of profile info), but I can't find it. Is there some way to give the script a kick and make it re-download the fresh data?

Re:(New) Import Comic Info From ComicVine 7 years 10 months ago #5165

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 508
Have your changes actually been approved so that they now appear on comicvine? It can take about a day for them to approve your changes, and until that happens, the changes won't appear in the comicvine script or on the comicvince website.

If your changes have been approved, make sure that you have the field you want to update selected in the comicvine script plugin (i.e. the dates). It should be turned on by default. If you've done this, the script should be updating the data properly. I've done this myself without any trouble.

If for some reason it still isn't working, you could also try clearing the contents of the "tags" and "notes" fields from the affected comics' info. That will basically force the script to start from scratch with those comics. (But as I said, this shouldn't be necessary.)

Re:(New) Import Comic Info From ComicVine 7 years 10 months ago #5168

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
Bob wrote:
Is there some way to give the script a kick and make it re-download the fresh data?

Cbanac answer is correct, the script does not cache any actual data, just a pointer (ID) for each issue to help it find the data online, so, if it is updated online, it will be updated runing the script on those issues. I guess cbanac guess is right: at the begining when you are a freshman at Comicvine, this is, until you reach 1000 points, all the data you submit needs to be approved, and it may take one or two days to actually make it to the database...! Once you hit the 1000 points (awarded for your contributions) your submissions are not supervised anymore and get online at once!

Cheers :woohoo:

Re:Importing alternate serie? 7 years 10 months ago #5169

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
Quicksilver wrote:
Although one minor problem I have noticed. Is it just me or the script really do not import the Story Arc (Alternate serie) info from ComicVine? If it should do it, how can I find out what's wrong in my case?

Sorry, I had missed this one!

The script should import Story Arcs as Alternate Series... :blush: Can you give me an example where it fails, so I can check (also, a debug log would be great -see first post for instructions on how to get it)... Thanks!

Cheers! :woohoo:

Re:Importing alternate serie? 7 years 10 months ago #5170

Well, okay, I try it.

Importing Friendy Neighbourhood Spider-Man #1... everything but the story arc has been added right.

ComicRack version: V 0.9.113 32bit
Windows version: XP Professional SP3 (hungarian, 32bit)
Debug log here: pastebin.com/m6740372d
Last Edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Quicksilver.

Re:(New) Import Comic Info From ComicVine 7 years 10 months ago #5172

• Bob
  • Expert Boarder
Weird. No, I'm a trusted, live-changer over at Comic Vine. Maybe it was cached or something on their side, but I could see in one window Comic Vine had rows of dates attached to the issues in a volume* and the script wasn't picking them up. It's intermittent though - just now I tried to reproduce it and couldn't.

*Dates I'd just added - It's easier to peer closely at indicias, enter them once at Comic Vine then import, than to enter them two places.

Re:(New) Import Comic Info From ComicVine 7 years 10 months ago #5211

• Alan Scott
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
@ Arturo - Hello, with the newest version of ComicRack, upon first attempt to import, I get this error box...

With all subsequent attempts, I then get this...

Thanks in advance for any help!
... The failure to appreciate... is perfectly understandable, because the readership never evaluates old material in the context of the cultural climate in which it was created, or the state of the art at the time it was created.
Marty Pasko

Re:Importing alternate serie? 7 years 10 months ago #5213

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
Quicksilver wrote:
Well, okay, I try it.

Thanks! Definitely your log shows there is a problem there... please, see next post...

Re:(New) Import Comic Info From ComicVine 7 years 10 months ago #5214

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
Alan Scott wrote:
@ Arturo - Hello, with the newest version of ComicRack, upon first attempt to import, I get this error box...

Hey Alan... sorry I have to meet a terrible deadline at work and hadn't even noticed that cYo had posted not one, but two updates!

I will look at this issue as well as the problem on Alternate Series, but I am afraid I will not be able to do it until the end of the week - sorry, guys.

I am guessing cYo has made major changes to the scripting engine to provide better support for debugging and the like, but somethings have broken and need to be revised... I will look into it!

Cheers! :blush:
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds

Who's Online

We have 237 guests and one member online