Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: Find Gaps in series

Re:Find Gaps in series 7 years 1 month ago #10373

• matrixik
  • Junior Boarder
Exactly like Shinrai say.
Very helpful for manga.

Btw. how to permanently delete issue number?

Cheers
I am what I am.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Find Gaps in series 7 years 1 month ago #10398

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 268
Sure I think this can be done. Did you want the smartlist version or the text file version?

To permantley delete the issue number. Open the info editor for the comics. Delete the issue field and then set the Proposed values to "No"

Re:Find Gaps in series 7 years 1 month ago #10410

• matrixik
  • Junior Boarder
Stonepaw wrote:
Sure I think this can be done. Did you want the smartlist version or the text file version?
Text file version will be better.

Stonepaw wrote:
To permantley delete the issue number. Open the info editor for the comics. Delete the issue field and then set the Proposed values to "No"
Thank you.
I am what I am.

Re:Find Gaps in series 7 years 1 month ago #10479

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 268
Here you go. It can be run from the file->automation menu or from the right-click->automation menu on a selected group of comics.

File Attachment:

File Name: writemissi...crplugin
File Size:2 KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: matrixik

Re:Find Gaps in series 7 years 1 month ago #10486

• matrixik
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you, working like a charm.
I am what I am.

Re: Find Gaps in series 7 years 1 month ago #10696

• matrixik
  • Junior Boarder
After playing some time with missing volumes script (thank you again) I found that I have a lot Japanese monthly magazines that don't even provide volume number. The only info I have is release date.
Can you create script for finding missing releases if series have only month and year filled or is it to complicated?

Cheers
I am what I am.

Re: Find Gaps in series 6 years 9 months ago #12108

• Samael69
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
After some thought, while continuing to scrape my inital load. How much work would it be to include a "gutted" ComicVine scrape in Find Gaps, just to return the number of issues expected if the number doesn't match the amount you have. The idea came as I was going through a ton of old Vertigo stuff, where they tended toward small 4 - 10 issue series'. "Find Gaps" will work fine if you have the first and last issue, but what if you're missing the last issue(s).

Or, perhaps easier, and probably more useful, to return the first and last number recorded by ComicVine and use those as the boundaries for FindGaps. This would also resolve some of the issues caused by the wierd numbering in things like Adventures of Superman, and perhaps the 0 or 1/2 issues loved by Top Cow and Image. The high-number one-offs, like the #1,000,000 issues or #500 Witchblade may still cause problems depending on how it's currently implemented.

Re: Find Gaps in series 6 years 9 months ago #12114

• Wedge
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
I had a thought along the same lines.
When you import a reading list, it runs through your library to find matches and then produces a dialogue with a list of the missing entries.

It would be neat if you could use that logic, ie when scraping a series to create such a list, run through the library for matches and instead of just popping a dialog, create a set of file-less entries, each tagged "Missing Issue" or some such.

Re: Find Gaps in series 6 years 9 months ago #12117

• Samael69
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
Another way using the ComicVine information would be useful would be when downloading author packs. I've run across several instances where the given series is incomplete, presumably because that author didn't work on the entire thing, so only his issues where included.

Re: Find Gaps in series 6 years 9 months ago #12119

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
My two cents, discussed in this thread... I copy paste here the most relevant:
- Missing issues: I think this, along with duplicates, is one of the most interesting problem for 'scripters' out there to try and solve. I have given this much thought, but since I have other projects at hand, I cannot get into them. So, I share two possible approaches to this problem, in case someone wants to try, or at least discuss here:
  • Using "What's scanned" lists: We have, at least for DC and Marvel, well kept and thorough lists of all comics published and what is scanned - I tried with Nerone's Marvel list. The first idea was to convert this list into a '.cbl' comicrack list. Ideally, importing it, would match the comics I have in my library, and create 'fileless' comics for my missing comics. I tried to reduce this effect by (i) importing the cbl list in an empty library, so a fileless entry is created for all the comics, (ii) scraping these comics with CVS, so the naming would match the one in my library, (iii) export the scraped list (iv) import against my library. This worked better, but there are failures still... I am attaching a test list for you to try. I think the idea is neat, but does not work too well. I have two problems: (i) the matching between the list and my library is far from perfect, and many fileless comics are created for comics I do have... (ii) if I add a new comic to the library, and need to manually remove the previous fileless comic - the dupes script described above could take care of this easily by 'prefer ecomics to fileless entries'. As a side note, I want to stress that this is A LOT of work. First, you need to convert Nerone's list to a complete list of comics, then make sure there are not strange characters ilegal in the cbl files, then scrape the whole thing... I began with it, but eventually gave up. If anyone thinks this is worth pursuing further I can provide the work I did so far.
  • Using Comicvine: Another possible approach to find missing issues it to check a series against Comicvine. This should not be very difficult to do, if your comics are scraped according to CV: you chose a comic or a series in your library, look it up in comicvine, identifying which series it belongs to, and then compare the issues in Comicvine to the ones in the library... This could probably done locally checking against CVS local cache files, but has the limitation on the quality and copleteness of CV data.

cbanak said...
cbanack wrote:
600WPMPO wrote:
perezmu wrote:
Using Comicvine
A good one would be making fileless entries from the Comic Vine database. Maybe cbanack could add some option in the scraper for this, like "Make fileless entries for issues not present in the ComicRack™ library". Hope he reads this!

I think the only really useful information you might get back from ComicVine would be the first and last issue number for a particular series--there's nothing more than the obvious numbers in between.

An ambitious script writer could try to steal some of the code from Comic Vine Scraper to get this information, but that code is all tangled up with the nightmare of caching data locally--something I intend to remove as soon as ComicVine fixes their API. Besides, there are easier ways to get that information from ComicVine; if someone is working seriously on a script like this, I would be happy to offer some advice.

On the other hand, you could make the problem a lot simpler by just ignoring the first and last issues (just assume that whatever the user has is the correct first and last issue). Then all you are looking for is the gaps in between, which is still pretty useful. You can also take advantage of one useful fact to write a gap-finder:
If your comics have been scraped by CVS, then any comics with the same SeriesName and Volume number (i.e. year) will be from the same real-life series.

You can use this fact to group the comics in your library together, which should make it pretty easy to look for gaps. Or may this is what the missing comic finder script already does? :dry:

pescuma's contribution:
pescuma wrote:
@ perezmu

About missing issues: there is code inside series info panel that get all selected comics and create a struct with the first level the series name, the second the volumes and the third the comics in that subset. It also has a wrapper for the book object so you dont have to deal with the Field/ShadowField duplicity everywhere.

To what later I added...
perezmu wrote:
Hey there...

Back to the missing issues thing... I thought on using Comicvine or the "lists", not only thinking in special numbers (like 0.5, 1.000.000 and so on), but also in larger gaps in the original numbering... you know this thing of changing volume, then going back, and you find that the same volume is 1-355,500-633 for example... This is what Comicvine could add to a simple last to first check.

@pescuma,

Thanks for that, I will check it. I must admit yours and cbanack's script take me a loooong time to understand, but I will check if I can use your structure.
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by perezmu.
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Who's Online

We have 255 guests and 2 members online