Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: Suggestions for the a ComicVine script

Suggestions for the a ComicVine script 7 years 11 months ago #4924

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Hello all,

I am still trying to solve some problems in the current Comicvine script (will be v0.8). This script has (almost) worked for (almost) the intended purpose.

But suggestions on improvement have been made that cannot be implemented in the script at its present form, so I will need to rethink its structure to add new functionalities. This should begin to happen sometime next week. But before I begin, I would like to hear comments on what you would like to see changed and/or added to the script.

This thread is just for that. I will consider all suggestion according to how hard it is to implement and how useful I judge it to the community and myself.

I would ask you to:

a) One idea per post
b) Title the post accordingly
c) Discussions on a given suggestion be made quoting the original post.

Please, those who made suggestions in the old thread, repeat them here for refreshing my mind and encouraging discussion.

Last, but not least, I am all open to get help on this, so the script can be coded by several people using a public svn or the like. If you think you can collaborate or even want to take the lead on this, pm me...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go back to series selection/force update 7 years 11 months ago #4927

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
Hello, and thanks for the great work on the script. I guess it has already saved everyone using it hundreds of hours.

One thing i'd like to see added was the possibility to go back to the series selection screen if i accidentally chose the wrong one. Also a way to force the script to ignore the tag id field, if its already filled (like a "force update" button or option). At the moment i have to use additional scripts to clear Tags/Comments to make the script fetch a new series list so i can choose again.

Thanks for your work,
fK
Last Edit: 7 years 11 months ago by forkicks.

Re:Go back to series selection/force update 7 years 11 months ago #4928

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi. Thanks for the suggestions.

forkicks wrote:
One thing i'd like to see added was the possibility to go back to the series selection screen if i accidentally chose the wrong one.

This is a new one, and interesting as well, I will need to think how to implement it, but I will give it a try!
Also a way to force the script to ignore the tag id field, if its already filled (like a "force update" button or option). At the moment i have to use additional scripts to clear Tags/Comments to make the script fetch a new series list so i can choose again.

This is definitely in!.

Re:Suggestions for the a ComicVine script 7 years 11 months ago #4941

Hi, Perezmu

Suggestion:
"Specify the Volume..." (ex. 1938, 1940, 2009, 2010, etc)
like the "Specify the Series name..."

Congratulations,

Jpereira2001

Re:Suggestions for the a ComicVine script 7 years 11 months ago #4942

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
jcgpereira2001 wrote:
"Specify the Volume..." (ex. 1938, 1940, 2009, 2010, etc)
like the "Specify the Series name..."

Noted, most likely this will be in, it makes sense!

Disable fetch series cover is too many results 7 years 11 months ago #4943

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
Thanks for considering my previous suggestions. I've been looking over the script again to try and find more opportunities for improvements, and i think i found another.

When you search for a very common series name, say "x-men", you'll get dozens of series. If you had the "Get cover" option marked, its going to take a looong time to show you the list. How about you don't fetch the cover if the result list is over, say, 10 series? It would just behave as if you had not selected the fetch series image otherwise. Because most of the time, well, you're only interested in one of those series, and waiting for all the others that happen to have similar names is just frustrating.

Thanks,
fK

Re:Disable fetch series cover is too many results 7 years 11 months ago #4944

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
forkicks wrote:
When you search for a very common series name, say "x-men", you'll get dozens of series. If you had the "Get cover" option marked, its going to take a looong time to show you the list. How about you don't fetch the cover if the result list is over, say, 10 series?
You don't look for easy ones, do you? :P Just kidding! It seems interesting... however, I'd leave this as an option, not a fixed behaviour... Now, come to think of it... I am not sure this would improve performance, since I think a cover is "downloaded" only when a series es selected, not all in one go... I am not sure, I do not remember (just digressing). Anyway, this might show improvements if I did local caching of covers... how do you guys feel about this?

Re:Suggestions for the a ComicVine script 7 years 11 months ago #4945

As I mentioned before, a way to read a CV series ID and auto-select a series. For instance, I set a tag (say CVDBS#######) in a series of books and the script reads this and avoids trying to series match based on the series name and uses this as the series ID and jumps straight to the issue match.
Last Edit: 7 years 11 months ago by DouglasBubbletrousers.

Re:Suggestions for the a ComicVine script 7 years 11 months ago #4946

Also (you did say you wanted these on seperate posts, right?), an option to ignore text in the number field. I know there's some attribute that CR uses to interpret the number field into a numeric value (for instance, it sorts "Annual 01" as 1), so it should use this when that option is used. If this isn't an option you want on the main form, you could use an .ini file like CR and have more vague, complex options set there.

Re:Suggestions for the a ComicVine script 7 years 11 months ago #4947

Finally, for those that put annual in the Number field and not the series name, the script should be smarter about it. Here's the logic I think it should use:

-tempseries=book.Series
-tempnumber=book.Number
-If tempnumber contains "Annual":
-Remove annual from tempnumber, strip leading/trailing spaces
-Append " Annual" to tempseries

This should handle either case (annual in series or annual in number).

Thanks!
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Who's Online

We have 721 guests and 3 members online