Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: IronPython 2.6?

IronPython 2.6? 7 years 10 months ago #5087

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 508
@cYo:

I was wondering if there are plans to update ComicRack so that it launches scripts using IronPython 2.6 instead of 2.5? (preferably with the -X:Frames or -X:FullFrames options turned on, but that's another issue...)

IronPython 2.6 is a big step forward in terms of functionality (i.e. it has the standard python libraries!) so it would certainly make life a lot easier for those of us who are trying to write scripts.

Even if you're not planning to incorporate 2.6 anytime soon, I'd still like to know that, so I can plan my work accordingly. :)
Last Edit: 7 years 10 months ago by cbanack.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: IronPython 2.6? 7 years 10 months ago #5091

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
0.9.114 will have Iron Python 2.6 :)

Re: IronPython 2.6? 7 years 10 months ago #5094

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
That's great news...thanks!

As I mentioned above, I hope you will consider enabling -X:Frames or -X:FullFrames in the 2.6 command line. If these are not turned on, many of the core python libraries still won't work (all due to the fact that sys._getframes will be unavailable, see here).

The IronPython guys seem to have chosen to turn frames OFF by default, because this improves performance on computationally intensive tasks. But since frames are needed for many core libraries (logging, collections, etc), I can't really understand that decision. They should have left frames ON by default, and given users who want to optimize for performance the option to turn them off.

Oh well.

IMHO, the scripts that people write for ComicRack are not CPU bound anyway; they are short-lived and disk/network io-bound. Therefore, turning on -X:FullFrames won't make a noticeable performance difference.
Last Edit: 7 years 10 months ago by cbanack.

Re: IronPython 2.6? 7 years 10 months ago #5101

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
cbanack wrote:
That's great news...thanks!

Yep! Back to the 'design board'!

Re: IronPython 2.6? 7 years 10 months ago #5237

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey cYo,

I just tried out 0.9.115 and it is great, exactly what I was hoping for in terms of scripting! (Frames on by default == yay!)

Except for one small detail: the actual standard python libraries (the contents of, e.g., c:\ipy\Lib) are not yet available when running a script in comicrack.

The required directory (e.g. c:\comicrack\Lib) is already on sys.path when you're running a script inside comicrack, but that directory doesn't actually exist when I install 0.9.115. As a result, none of the standard libraries work. :laugh:

But if I copy that "Lib" dir from one of my IronPython dirs into the main ComicRack dir, presto! I have access to all the standard libraries. B)
Time to create page: 0.671 seconds

Who's Online

We have 226 guests and one member online