Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: ComicVineScraper - an ImportComicVineInfo clone

Re:ComicVineScraper - an ImportComicVineInfo clone 7 years 4 months ago #7944

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
You see through me like Superman through Lois clothes :)
I will only add it if there's some quick and standard source to automatically add this stuff.

And BTW: I totally overlooked my one 1000s post :)
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by cYo.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:ComicVineScraper - an ImportComicVineInfo clone 7 years 4 months ago #7945

Taking a look at the API documentation, I'm not seeing Rating or Review. Might be possible via page scraping.

Re:ComicVineScraper - an ImportComicVineInfo clone 7 years 4 months ago #7946

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
cYo wrote:
just a question: The ComicVine site has nice user ratings for each comic. Can you get these with the API? Also user reviews?
It doesn't look like their API offers access to that information. Here is an example of "everything you can get" for an issue of a comic that does have user ratings, and I can't see anything about them in there.

Doesn't seem to be mentioned in the ComicVine API docs either.
Is there a way from the scrape id to the web page?
Yes, there's two ways:

The most direct way is to take the scrape id (the number part after 'CVDB' in the CVDB tag) and insert it into the following URL, in place of the XXXX:

www.comicvine.com/issue/37-XXXX/

The other way is to look in the <site_detail_url> field in the XML results that I linked to above. These two methods give different URLs, but (strangely) they both go to the same webpage.

I just noticed that there is a field marked "Web" in the Comic Book info dialog. Is that field supposed to contain the webpage url for that issue? If so, I will modify the scraper to grab that information, too.

Does ComicRack do anything special with URLs in "Web:" field? If not, maybe it should? Or maybe someone can write a plugin using the new hook available in 0.9.124.

Re:ComicVineScraper - an ImportComicVineInfo clone 7 years 4 months ago #7948

• cYo
Web is exactly there for adding a link to some additional info. Like I said somewhere else, it would be nice HTML info panel plugin to display the web page in the panel.

Re:ComicVineScraper - an ImportComicVineInfo clone 7 years 4 months ago #7949

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
cYo wrote:
Web is exactly there for adding a link to some additional info. Like I said somewhere else, it would be nice HTML info panel plugin to display the web page in the panel.
I agree, that would be a good info panel plugin!

As for my part, I will change the scraper so that it adds that information in.

Re:ComicVineScraper - an ImportComicVineInfo clone 7 years 4 months ago #7950

• cYo
btw: if you google "comicvine" you are the third hit - congrats :)

Re:ComicVineScraper - an ImportComicVineInfo clone 7 years 4 months ago #7957

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
cYo wrote:
btw: if you google "comicvine" you are the third hit - congrats :)
Cool! :laugh:

And you now have over 1000 posts on this forum, so congrats to you too! ;)

Re:ComicVineScraper - an ImportComicVineInfo clone 7 years 4 months ago #7977

• {Oo}
  • Platinum Boarder
  • The Chewie is a lie !
  • Thank you received: 41
I had an idea... Since ComicVine is apparently the most used script (with good reasons I might add!), why not having localized versions of it? I don't know if it's doable but hey, it's just an idea. I'd be willing to try and make a French version of it, with some pointers as to where are the "translatable" areas. Don't kill me if it's a completely foolish idea and utterly stupid! :p
Working on re-uploading the FR manuals.

Re:ComicVineScraper - an ImportComicVineInfo clone 7 years 4 months ago #7994

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
{Oo} wrote:
I had an idea... Since ComicVine is apparently the most used script (with good reasons I might add!), why not having localized versions of it? I don't know if it's doable but hey, it's just an idea. I'd be willing to try and make a French version of it, with some pointers as to where are the "translatable" areas. Don't kill me if it's a completely foolish idea and utterly stupid! :p
No, this is actually a pretty cool idea, but the timing for it is not quite right. :)

1) I'll need to refactor the entire scraper code to use a proper internationalization architecture (so that the translators don't have to dig through any code). That's a pretty big project, probably not something that I'll get to right away.

2) I'm still making a lot of changes to the Comic Vine Scraper right now (up next: major changes to the configuration dialog, which is kinda ugly and confusing.) It's better to wait until I'm finished all those major changes and the code for the Scraper is not changing so quickly (that way translators don't have to keep up with lots and lots of changes.)

This suggestion has given me food for thought, though. Maybe what I'd like to do (eventually) is create a template for a new Comic Vine Scraper "language override" plug-in. Anyone who wants to can extend this template to modify the text in the Comic Vine Scraper into another language. It would be really simple to work with--the important bit would just be a list of sentences and words that need to be translated.

Then I could change Comic Vine Scraper so that it uses English words by default, but it also looks to see if you have the "language override" plug-in installed (and if you do, it uses the words from that plug-in instead.)

But as I said, that's gonna have to wait for a while. I've added a item into the issue tracker so this suggestion doesn't get forgotten, though.

Thanks! :laugh:
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by cbanack.

Re:ComicVineScraper - an ImportComicVineInfo clone 7 years 4 months ago #7996

• cYo
ComicRack already has a script localization architecture. Look at the standard scripts that come with the install.
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Who's Online

We have 220 guests and 9 members online