Welcome, Guest
Python Scripts for ComicRack

TOPIC: Move Files - Relocate eComics within ComicRack

Move Files - Relocate eComics within ComicRack 9 years 10 months ago #819

• wadegiles
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
This script prompts the user for a destination folder and moves all selected eComic files to that folder if selected via the right click Automation menu. If selected via the main menu->File->Automation item, your entire library will be moved. It also updates the file path information in ComicRack for the eComic so you don't have to re-add them via the file browser tab.

If an eComic of the same name already exists in the destination chosen, it won't be overwritten and the next selected eComic is processed. The selected eComic will remain in its original location with no update to its ComicRack information. After the script completes, it will inform you if at least one file couldn't be moved. When choosing the destination, you can elect to create a new folder as well.

To install, extract the contents of the attached ZIP file to your \\ComicRack\Scripts\ folder and restart ComicRack. In the right click->Automation menu AND in the File->Automation main menu will be a new Move Files... item.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Updated 2009.07.21 22:17

File Attachment:

File Name: MoveFiles_1_3.zip
File Size:7 KB
Attachments:
Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by wadegiles.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Move Files - Relocate eComics within ComicRack 9 years 2 weeks ago #2554

• wadegiles
  • Gold Boarder
Updated to make default destination the folder of the first selected eComic instead of My Documents. New version is linked in the first post.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by wadegiles.

Re:Move Files - Relocate eComics within ComicRack 9 years 1 week ago #2576

• Alan Scott
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Hey Wade, I like the look of this, could you tell me, if I want to move the files to a folder on a different drive, will it copy or move the files? Thanks in advance.
... The failure to appreciate... is perfectly understandable, because the readership never evaluates old material in the context of the cultural climate in which it was created, or the state of the art at the time it was created.
Marty Pasko

Re:Move Files - Relocate eComics within ComicRack 9 years 1 week ago #2590

• wadegiles
  • Gold Boarder
It moves the files if they don't already exist. You could easily change it such that a copy is made instead. The original will no longer be in the ComicRack library unless you have scanning turned on for the original folder.

Re:Move Files - Relocate eComics within ComicRack 9 years 1 week ago #2594

• Alan Scott
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Nope, moving is what I want. I wanted to be sure that it wouldn't copy across drives. I should get some good use out of this. Thanks!
... The failure to appreciate... is perfectly understandable, because the readership never evaluates old material in the context of the cultural climate in which it was created, or the state of the art at the time it was created.
Marty Pasko

Re:Move Files - Relocate eComics within ComicRack 8 years 10 months ago #2868

• snitch7
  • Senior Boarder
This script just taught me a hard lesson. I used it to transfer all my files to a new, bigger external drive. It not only did not update the database, but also stripped all files from their folders. So now there is not even an easy way to transfer them backto their original position and therefore recover the database.......10 months of data entry into the ether.

Oh yeah - the lesson - try a few files first - before you try 43000 of them

Re:Move Files - Relocate eComics within ComicRack 8 years 10 months ago #2897

• AltairJr
  • Fresh Boarder
Finding this very useful after obtaining archives for moving each series to its own folder - just wondering if it would be difficult to add a 'move to subfolder by series' option; it would make it much easier for me to keep my archives orderly

EDIT: nvm about the 'auto organize' for now - I've noticed that when I highlight, rightclick, and move files that way it only moves the files I select; but if I highlight and use the keyboard shortcut (for me ctrlalt7) it moves my entire library

Anyway to fix this?
Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by AltairJr. Reason: unexpected problem

Re:Move Files - Relocate eComics within ComicRack 8 years 10 months ago #2901

• wadegiles
  • Gold Boarder
I'll remove the option to operate on the entire library. That will probably fix the shortcut to use the selected eComics only.

See first post for updated version. The only thing that changed is the xml file.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by wadegiles.

Re:Move Files - Relocate eComics within ComicRack 8 years 10 months ago #2902

• AltairJr
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks much, just used it a couple times and I've had no issues. Appreciate the quick fix :)

Re:Move Files - Relocate eComics within ComicRack 8 years 7 months ago #3581

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
Hello. Im using your addon and finding it very useful, but i find myself always doing something that may (probably) integrated in the addon script.

The thing is, i have, as i believe many do, a folder where we download to and then sort from, all the comics we get.
We then have a target folder for each series/volume/whatever.
So i have to find that folder, and using your script, target it and move the files over. This alone is already saving a ton of time.

But is it possible for the script to just find the folder where most of the files reside (from the ones selected to move) and just use that as the automagic-destination?

For example, comicrack already sorts all the items on the right series, so i wanted to select all items in a series and tell it to move all to the right folder - obviously 99% of those items would already be in that folder, just the odd one or two new items would still be in the download folder and those would be moved to the series folder.

Sorry if it looks like a convoluted description, letme know if i can be more specific.

Again, thanks for your work, its appreciated.
fK
Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by forkicks.
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Who's Online

We have 197 guests and 3 members online