Welcome, Guest
A place to meet other Developers

TOPIC: Extending ComicInfo.xsd

Extending ComicInfo.xsd 6 years 4 months ago #15212

• patnashev
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi!

I want to suggest a few extensions to ComicInfo.xsd and ComicInfo.xml. The main goal is to create an open standard which allows "soft" translations, sharing of metadata between users, accessibility features for visually impared and better support of small-screen devices.

"Soft" translations are implemented by including a subset of SVG (vector graphics) elements into the schema. The most important elements are "path", which allows among other things to fill a balloon with background color, and "text", which outputs translated text into the balloon. SVG standard supports a lot of advanced features (like vertical and right-to-left text) which cover most of the cases of text use in comics. And since it's a worldwide standard, its implementations exist on all modern platforms.

This approach gives a lot of freedom both to translator and end user. A comic page can contain original text and its translation, necessary comments and notes, and even description of actions going on on the page. Fonts can be embedded as curves (SVG paths) or directly as ttf files. End user can override one or all fonts with the one he prefers.

Open nature of the standard allows metadata to be shared between different applications and users. Translations can be created using wiki principle. If you stumble upon a spelling error, you can fix it and upload your changes to an online repository(-ies). This way the changes can propagate to all users of that repository, and not only applied locally.

Also, a repository can be useful even if a package doesn't contain ComicInfo.xml. You can try to search for a metadata using hashes of the images. This can allow sharing of metadata without updating old packages.

And since all information exist in textual form, it can be read by a speech synthesizer, opening comics to the blind and visually impared.

There are a few features that can be implemented to better support small screens of some devices. Like, information about positions and order of panels on a page can be used to divide the page into a smaller regions, which can be sequentially presented. The same goes for a text.

I've implemented some of the above features in my experimental project ComicInfo Editor. You can download a proof of concept here:
comicinfoeditor.codeplex.com/releases/vi...53#DownloadId=250637

The package consists of the app, ComicInfo.xsd with proposed extensions, and a sample cbz. The cbz contains only one file - ComicInfo.xml. Yet, if you open the cbz in the editor, it'll download jpgs from the Urls specified in the xml, fill the balloons with background color and put new (translated) text over them. All this without changing original image files.

I'm open to any comments and suggestions. The feature list is far from set in stone. It's more like an ongoing research project everyone can participate in.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Extending ComicInfo.xsd 6 years 4 months ago #15214

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
+1 karma straight away for the time & effort put in!
patnashev wrote:
The package consists of the app, ComicInfo.xsd with proposed extensions, and a sample cbz. The cbz contains only one file - ComicInfo.xml. Yet, if you open the cbz in the editor, it'll download jpgs from the Urls specified in the xml, fill the balloons with background color and put new (translated) text over them. All this without changing original image files.
I was able to open up the provided cbz, which showed up like this:

I also opened a web comic cbz I had saved:

Now, what can I do next?

Can I annotate the archive? If yes, How will it show up in ComicRack?
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Extending ComicInfo.xsd 6 years 4 months ago #15215

• patnashev
  • Fresh Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
I was able to open up the provided cbz, which showed up like this:

The editor should've downloaded images from the urls in ComicInfo.xml. I don't know why it didn't happen in your case, maybe it hadn't enough time (there is no indication of download in progress currently), or maybe it was blocked by a firewall. It should be like this:

600WPMPO wrote:
Now, what can I do next?
You can edit all the text you see. (Actually, I'd appreciate if someone read through the comics and fixed at least the most glaring errors. It's my translation and my English is not perfect.)

You can edit the common set of metadata fields by pressing "Metadata" button above the page list. These fields are the ones which should show up in ComicRack.

Also, you can save the downloaded images inside the package. I can explain how, if someone is interested.

Re: Extending ComicInfo.xsd 6 years 4 months ago #15216

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
patnashev wrote:
You can edit all the text you see.
Yes.. I was able to do that in the second go!

But, this doesn't work for all CBZ files, does it?
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Extending ComicInfo.xsd 6 years 4 months ago #15217

• patnashev
  • Fresh Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
patnashev wrote:
But, this doesn't work for all CBZ files, does it?
Of course not. You can edit text only if it was put there by this very editor. There is only one CBZ with editable text I know of. That's why I'm talking about an open standard. If this functionality is implemented in other applications, and they can somehow share data, than there will be a lot more translations with editable texts.

Extending ComicInfo.xsd 8 months 2 weeks ago #46912

• amix
  • Fresh Boarder
I know I'm late to the party, but this is such a great idea! It should be really getting some focus! Congrats, atnashev! And that comic in the package is really bizarre, lol
Time to create page: 0.461 seconds

Who's Online

We have 254 guests and 4 members online