Welcome, Guest
A place to meet other Developers

TOPIC: Badaap Comic Reader - Web-based reader for iPad/Android tablets

Badaap Comic Reader - Web-based reader for iPad/Android tablets 5 years 4 months ago #23370

• jeroenwalter
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
As previously announced in this thread, I'm developing a web-based comic reader for the iPad and possibly Android tablets.

So big news!!
I've published the source code to GitHub.

I've created a GitHub repository on https://github.com/jeroenwalter/Badaap-Comic-Reader
I've also setup a demo website on http://www.badaap.nl/

Now keep in mind, this is not a stand-alone program. It requires a web server.
Please read the INSTALL.txt file for installation instructions.

Furthermore, the raw source code on GitHub will work, but it is the development version.
This means that it contains debug code and the code is not minified, causing longer load times.
It is however usable.

I've also created 2 packaged version without debug code and with minified files. These will have a smaller load time.
You can download them on GitHub here.

Notice that there are 2 version, the 'production' version and the 'package' version.
The only difference is that the 'production' version has the html5 application cache enabled and the 'package' version doesn't use the html5 app cache.
I've mixed results with the html5 cache, probably because I'm running and debugging different version constantly. So you may try it, but I recommend the 'package' version.

I hope the instructions I created are clear enough.
Installation requires some effort for you guys, but I'm confident you'll succeed.

So what's next?
First I await your feedback.

Planned features:
- Add global search feature. Now BCR can only filter in the current folder.
- Browse on Series/Author/other fields.
- Create custom (smart)lists.
- Import ComicDB.xml from ComicRack. Only useful for (smart)lists?
- Download and store comics locally to the tablet for offline viewing.
- Retrieve data directly from ComicRack. (Not sure I want this, I don't want to have ComicRack running constantly.)
- Integrate / use the ComicRack Web Viewer plugin. (Not sure I want this, I don't want to have ComicRack running constantly.)
- Replace the apache/php backend with a ComicRack plugin. (In my opinion this is the only reason why I would want to keep ComicRack running.)
- Image cache management, currently extracted pages are never deleted.
- Recreate cover thumbnails.
- Theming support: icons, colors, fonts, images
- Add Sencha Touch device profiles
- Optimize the Sencha Touch deployment for size/performance
- Package ComicViewer into native app (e.g. via Phonegap).
- Dropbox/other cloud storage support for downloading comics into local storage. If possible....
- Multipage thumbnail preview
- Show page thumbnail while sliding the page slider.
- Improve icons and layout
- Use image with type FrontCover for cover thumbnail instead of first image.

Furthermore, I'm going to look into the ComicRack WebViewer from Neep, because I think it would be much easier for you if you don't have to install a separate web server for accessing your comics.

If you encounter any problems, let me know in this thread.

In the mean time, enjoy !

[update 2012-06-20]

Version 0.3 is released, but only as a testing version.
Main addition is some logging functions.
The php classes will log errors into log files in the webroot, they are named log_2012-06-20.txt.
If an error or exception occurs in the php classes, they will likely be present in those files.
For the client side, if an error occurs in the communication with the webserver, an error screen will be shown and javascript processing is halted.
If this happens for you, I would like you to select the shown text and PM it to me.

You can download it here https://github.com/downloads/jeroenwalter/Badaap-Comic-Reader/BadaapComicReader_0_3_testing.7z
The code is not minified, so if there are any errors this will allow me to pinpoint them. The drawback is that loading the webpages will take slightly longer.

[update 2012-06-26]
Version 0.4 is released.
Main change: support for multiple comic folders.
Check the release notes here: www.badaap.nl/wordpress/badaap-comic-reader-v0-4-released/
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by jeroenwalter.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Badaap Comic Reader - Web-based reader for iPad/Android tablets 5 years 4 months ago #23376

• DarkSynopsis
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Installed to my current XAMPP Setup and edited the needed files but I am getting the following.
Fatal error: Call to undefined method SQLite3::busyTimeout() in C:\xampp\htdocs\BCR\comicsdb.php on line 51

I grabbed the Package Download and all the extensions listed in the INSTALL file are enabled.

Edit:

Installed a WAMP Server and site seems to work just going to try it out in Google Chrome for now I can see all the folders but no files but letting the Database scan.

Shall have to work out why XAMPP was messing me about :P
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by DarkSynopsis.

Re: Badaap Comic Reader - Web-based reader for iPad/Android tablets 5 years 4 months ago #23392

• Threep
  • Fresh Boarder
DarkSynopsis wrote:
Installed to my current XAMPP Setup and edited the needed files but I am getting the following.
Fatal error: Call to undefined method SQLite3::busyTimeout() in C:\xampp\htdocs\BCR\comicsdb.php on line 51

I grabbed the Package Download and all the extensions listed in the INSTALL file are enabled.
I hit that one too, it's because PHP 5.3.3 or higher is required.

Re: Badaap Comic Reader - Web-based reader for iPad/Android tablets 5 years 4 months ago #23393

• DarkSynopsis
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Threep wrote:
I hit that one too, it's because PHP 5.3.3 or higher is required.

Ah I thought it had just said 5.3 and my XAMPP is on 5.3.1.

Re: Badaap Comic Reader - Web-based reader for iPad/Android tablets 5 years 4 months ago #23395

• jeroenwalter
  • Gold Boarder
Sorry, my bad, I don't keep up with those weekly php updates....
I'm running php 5.3.6 on my normal server and I'm running Wamp with php 5.4.3 on my local machine.
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by jeroenwalter.

Re: Badaap Comic Reader - Web-based reader for iPad/Android tablets 5 years 4 months ago #23401

• RevQuixo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I'm totally confused by the editing the config.php file.

I don't understand the step about changing the db pathway and when i change the comics pathway the webpage still says:

The comics path 'J:\comics' does not exist.

Re: Badaap Comic Reader - Web-based reader for iPad/Android tablets 5 years 4 months ago #23402

• jeroenwalter
  • Gold Boarder
In my infinite wisdom I had decided to store the comics path in the sqlite database when the database is created.
In hindsight this was stupid, because it means that you can not change the comics path once the database is created, which happens when you visit the website before you edit the config.php file.
I will fix this tomorrow, but in the mean time the solution is to delete the sqlite database.
It will then be recreated with the path in the config.php

Re: Badaap Comic Reader - Web-based reader for iPad/Android tablets 5 years 4 months ago #23403

• jeroenwalter
  • Gold Boarder
I've fixed it already and created a new release v0.2

Download it here BCR 0.2

Re: Badaap Comic Reader - Web-based reader for iPad/Android tablets 5 years 4 months ago #23404

• RevQuixo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
How do I point to multiple comic directories?

i have:

K:/comics

and

L:/small press

Re: Badaap Comic Reader - Web-based reader for iPad/Android tablets 5 years 4 months ago #23418

• jeroenwalter
  • Gold Boarder
Right now you can't.
It's on my todo list, but I don't know when I'll implement it.
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds

Who's Online

We have 182 guests and 4 members online