Welcome, Guest
A place to meet other Developers

TOPIC: Badaap Comic Reader integrated with ComicRack Web Viewer

Badaap Comic Reader integrated with ComicRack Web Viewer 5 years 2 months ago #25217

• jeroenwalter
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
Discontinued !

As of februari 5th 2016 I have stopped development and support on this plugin. This is due to time constraints and lack of interest on my part.
As a result ComicRack 0.9.177 is the last version this plugin works with.
The source code (gplv3) is still available on github, so if anybody feels up to it, dive right in!
It's been a great learning opportunity for me and I thank all ComicRacks users that took the time and effort to use my plugin.

Hi comic book lovers,

The last few weeks I’ve been working on the integration of the Badaap Comic Reader with the ComicRack Web Viewer plugin.

I’ve been in contact with Neep, the author of the ComicRack Web Viewer plugin, and we quickly came to the conclusion that it would be cool if we would combine forces to make the Web Viewer plugin better by integrating the Badaap Comic Reader.

Unfortunately Neep didn’t have time, so I took it upon myself to implement the changes required in the plugin and to the Badaap web application.

It’s been a fun few weeks, as this was my first project in C#, which is a welcome change after years of C++.

The new web viewer has the following advantages:
  • it’s a plugin of ComicRack, so no need for a separate Apache web server
  • you no longer have to scan the library for updated or new files
  • you can use (smart)lists
  • you can perform a global search on series/writer/etc.
  • there is a series list

Download and screenshots:

http://www.badaap.nl

Current version: 1.31 for ComicRack 0.9.177

Latest version and full changelog:
BadaapWebViewer changelog

Upgrade guide:

Install the plugin via the preferences box of ComicRack.

There’s no need to uninstall a previous version.

A restart of ComicRack is necessary, but ComicRack will warn you about that.

Make sure you’ve installed ComicRack 0.9.177 !

Let me know what you think !
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by jeroenwalter.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: perezmu, SpeedyV, docdoom

Re: Badaap Comic Reader integrated with ComicRack Web Viewer 5 years 2 months ago #25220

• bakker_be
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi there,
While I understand the usefullness of this, I can't help wondering if this means the standalone version will be abandoned. I run it on my domain controller, where I only log on to let CR scan new additions, after which I log off again. Needing to keep CR running all the time would be overkill on a server that is already running IIS as webserver.
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
Dr. Seuss

Re: Badaap Comic Reader integrated with ComicRack Web Viewer 5 years 2 months ago #25221

• khaoohs
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Just un-installed the neep's old version and installed this new version. Getting the following errors:
---------------------------
Execution of the script failed!
Could not load type 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExtensionAttribute' from assembly 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.
OK   

And if i try to start it a second time,

Execution of the script failed!
'ScopeStorage' object has no attribute 'ComicRackWebViewer'
OK   

Re: Badaap Comic Reader integrated with ComicRack Web Viewer 5 years 2 months ago #25222

• jeroenwalter
  • Gold Boarder
bakker_be wrote:
Hi there,
While I understand the usefullness of this, I can't help wondering if this means the standalone version will be abandoned. I run it on my domain controller, where I only log on to let CR scan new additions, after which I log off again. Needing to keep CR running all the time would be overkill on a server that is already running IIS as webserver.

I'm sorry to say that the standalone version will not be developed any longer.
Using ComicRack as a backend offers most of the features that I should otherwise need to create myself in php and sql.

I too struggled with that question for a long time, do I let ComicRack run on my server?
My main objection was ComicRack's memory usage.
ComicRack uses about 300 MB of RAM on my system, but there apparently are command line options to lower this, search the forum for this.
ComicRack doesn't use any processing power as long as you don't use it. If you're reading a comic, 99.9% of the time you don't use ComicRack, only when you change a page or show a list.
So in that sense ComicRack is not taxing for your server.

You are however free to fork the source code and change whatever you like, it's on github.
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by jeroenwalter. Reason: added quote

Re: Badaap Comic Reader integrated with ComicRack Web Viewer 5 years 2 months ago #25223

• jeroenwalter
  • Gold Boarder
khaoohs wrote:
Just un-installed the neep's old version and installed this new version. Getting the following errors:

Is your Windows 32bit or 64bit?
I got that last error when I forgot to compile for all cpu types, so I thought I fixed that.

Re: Badaap Comic Reader integrated with ComicRack Web Viewer 5 years 2 months ago #25224

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
jeroenwalter wrote:
khaoohs wrote:

Is your Windows 32bit or 64bit?
I got that last error when I forgot to compile for all cpu types, so I thought I fixed that.

Same here on 32. I am running Teamviewer that takes over port 80. Which port does the script default to?
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by perezmu.

Re: Badaap Comic Reader integrated with ComicRack Web Viewer 5 years 2 months ago #25225

• jeroenwalter
  • Gold Boarder
Ok

I think I know what causes it. I accidentally compiled it for .Net 4.5.
I've just recompiled it for 4.0.
So please download the plugin again please, same file name.

Re: Badaap Comic Reader integrated with ComicRack Web Viewer 5 years 2 months ago #25226

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
Ooops, not there...

The main window shows: "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation"

While the script debub window shows:
Calling 'ComicRackWebViewer'...
Compilation of 'C:\Users\apm\AppData\Roaming\cYo\ComicRack\Scripts\Web Viewer for tablets\Program.py'
Could not load file or assembly 'ComicRack.Plugins, Version=1.0.4523.27314, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b3ca110c99b4b731' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Re: Badaap Comic Reader integrated with ComicRack Web Viewer 5 years 2 months ago #25227

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
Got to go to bed now... darn it! Thanks for keeping working on this, though!

Re: Badaap Comic Reader integrated with ComicRack Web Viewer 5 years 2 months ago #25228

• khaoohs
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
perezmu wrote:
Ooops, not there...

The main window shows: "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation"

While the script debub window shows:
Calling 'ComicRackWebViewer'...
Compilation of 'C:\Users\apm\AppData\Roaming\cYo\ComicRack\Scripts\Web Viewer for tablets\Program.py'
Could not load file or assembly 'ComicRack.Plugins, Version=1.0.4523.27314, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b3ca110c99b4b731' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

The update did work for me on Windows 7 SP1 32bit.
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Who's Online

We have 170 guests and 5 members online