Welcome, Guest
A place to meet other Developers
  • Page:

TOPIC: Script to correct errors on ComicVine in your library

Script to correct errors on ComicVine in your library 4 years 7 months ago #30714

• docdoom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 89
There are a few errors on ComicVine site that are impossible to fix on the site. A notorious problem is that a lot of issues are filed under the wrong publisher (like the complete run of Walt Disney's Comics & Stories is filed under Boom! but not under Dell, Gold Key and so forth). Some of the most annoying problems e.g. is that the v1999 issues of Amazing Spider-Man are listed under the v1963 series.

I am thinking about writing a script that corrects these errors automatically by using something like the advanced settings of CV Scraper. It would be very helpful if you could provide some of the errors that you observed while using the CV data in your library.
Author of the CR Data Manager. Download and manual at google code - please post feature requests and bugs here
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Script to correct errors on ComicVine in your library 4 years 7 months ago #30716

• Casublett
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
I guess we would first need to decide how accurate you;re aiming to be.

Example, Marvel has thousands of older indicia publishers that while still part of Marvel, are actually published my one of their throw away corps.

Are you looking for just the major easy ones or every nook and cranny?
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Casublett.

Re: Script to correct errors on ComicVine in your library 4 years 7 months ago #30718

• docdoom
  • Platinum Boarder
It depends ;) I'm just looking for ideas that need to be addressed. What annoys me the most are the wrong publisher entries but that might be my single point of view. Other people may have other problems with CV. I think it's best if we simply collect and brainstorm first.
Author of the CR Data Manager. Download and manual at google code - please post feature requests and bugs here

Re: Script to correct errors on ComicVine in your library 4 years 7 months ago #30721

• Casublett
  • Gold Boarder
Ok, sounds good. Although I think that point will need to be addressed as many of the golden/silver age errors are from just that.

Anyway, I'll stick with the easy ones and post as I find/remember them.

Here's one. www.comicvine.com/donald-duck/49-2090/ just like Walt Disney's Comics & Stories.

Re: Script to correct errors on ComicVine in your library 4 years 7 months ago #30735

• Casublett
  • Gold Boarder
This volume is Marvel for some of the run and Marvel Knights for the rest:

www.comicvine.com/captain-america/49-9088/

Same here:

www.comicvine.com/daredevil/49-6209/?page=3

Re: Script to correct errors on ComicVine in your library 4 years 7 months ago #30739

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
Casublett wrote:
This volume is Marvel for some of the run and Marvel Knights for the rest:

www.comicvine.com/captain-america/49-9088/

Same here:

www.comicvine.com/daredevil/49-6209/?page=3

Those volumes really ARE Marvel Knights for some issues and regular Marvel for others (check the logos on the covers). What part is wrong in comic vine?

fK

Re: Script to correct errors on ComicVine in your library 4 years 7 months ago #30740

• docdoom
  • Platinum Boarder
Imprint of #1 - #28 is Marvel Knights or MK, #29 - #32 is only Marvel (without imprint). I, too, see no problem in CV's handling of this series in this case. It is consistent as the publisher of the whole series is Marvel.

I'm currently working on the script and it will handle this case as well. The script will be *very* flexible :whistle:

Re: Script to correct errors on ComicVine in your library 4 years 7 months ago #30741

• Casublett
  • Gold Boarder
They're listed as one complete block as one or the other, and they aren't. Both runs officially either added or dropped DURING the run.

Example: Daredevil is MK from #1-81 and after drops the MK imprint. When scraped, none of the issues are listed as MK as it's files as Marvel only on CV, even tho the majority of the volume is MK. While it's consistent with the CV rules, it's technically incorrect. If I choose to sort/search by the MK imprint, I will miss those 81 issues of Daredevil.

Saying this is incorrect, while not exactly the same, is similar to the Dell/Boom! problem. You'll miss huge chunks of Dell because they scrape wrong. Same with the MK imprint.

Re: Script to correct errors on ComicVine in your library 4 years 7 months ago #30742

• docdoom
  • Platinum Boarder
I completely understand the problem. The logic of CV is not wrong in this example but it omits data that may be valuable when you query your CR library. The script will solve this problem.

Re: Script to correct errors on ComicVine in your library 4 years 7 months ago #30744

• Casublett
  • Gold Boarder
Oooo nice!!!! Thx for taking you personal time to attempt such a thing. :)

As an aside, will it be capable of updating the volume year too? Example: Donald Duck volume that starts in 1950 by Dell, but switches to Goldkey in 1970 and Boom! in 2000. Will the Goldkey/Boom! portion auto update the volume year to the Goldkey/Boom! time-frame or keep the original Dell volume date?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.404 seconds

Who's Online

We have 174 guests and 3 members online