Welcome, Guest
A place to meet other Developers

TOPIC: Windows Shell Extension to display ComicInfo.xml data

Windows Shell Extension to display ComicInfo.xml data 2 years 3 months ago #43046

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Updated info and code in this post: http://comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/16-developers/38938-windows-shell-extension-to-display-comicinfo-xml-data#43093

Hello,

Long time, no see!

I bring you "fellow" developers, a proposal... Added to the compulsory cbx icon shell extension that displays cbr/cbz covers as the comic icon, I was thinking of ways to display the ComicInfo.xml data of a comic in windows explorer without needing to open it in any program...

My first thought was to add new columns to windows explorer and populate them from the xml file, but I have NO expertise programming C or C++ or Visual anything or anything windows... and googling did not help...

But I found a library called "sharp shell" and some use examples, and have been able to google/copy/paste a shell extension demo that adds a "comic info" entry to CBZ files context menu and displays some info from the xml file.

This is LOUSY program, but serves as a demo of what can be done. Among many limitations, the xml file has to be named ComicInfo.xml (with that capitalization) and has to be in the "root" of the cbz file. Again, I just built this googling and copy/pasting, without much knowledge of what I was doing.

I encourage any of you proficient windows programmers to complete this shell extension. The data I used is in:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/512956/NET-Shell-Extensions-Shell-Context-Menus

and as you can see, sharp shell provides tools to overlay info on the icons, or show complete info or images in the preview pane of windows explorer...

C'mon! I think it is worth trying... I cannot get much further given my knowledge of Visual anything...

Find the VS solution in www.dropbox.com/s/of5yomvsvsnkcyn/example%2001.zip?dl=0

If you want to give it a try before compiling it , simply look into the debug folder and follow the instructions of the above web page under the paragraph "Debugging the Shell Extension" (note, you need to rename the example.zip to example.cbz).

I hope anyone likes the possibilities this open... How about adding a tab in the file properties menu that allow to directly read or edit the complete comic info????

(Still, how cool would it be to have the explorer columns show as they do within comicrack!)

Cheers! :)
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by perezmu.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, fieldhouse

Windows Shell Extension to display ComicInfo.xml data 2 years 3 months ago #43048

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
perezmu wrote:
(Still, how cool would it be to have the explorer columns show as they do within comicrack!)

Unfortunately, you'll have to live without custom columns in Explorer as Microsoft removed that functionality in Vista and newer. You can read an explanation/tirade about it here:

foldersize.sourceforge.net/vistasucks.html

I never used that application, but his tirade might light the way. I envision a utility that sucks all the information out of all those xml files and injects them into the NTFS stream system built into newer versions of Windows. Not only would the possibilities of different ways to view the data open up, but the data would be searchable by the Windows search system as well.

Windows Shell Extension to display ComicInfo.xml data 2 years 3 months ago #43049

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Innuendo wrote:
I envision a utility that sucks all the information out of all those xml files and injects them into the NTFS stream system built into newer versions of Windows. Not only would the possibilities of different ways to view the data open up, but the data would be searchable by the Windows search system as well.
For some reason I thought comicrack already stored some of the info into the NTFS stream

Windows Shell Extension to display ComicInfo.xml data 2 years 3 months ago #43050

• fieldhouse
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
rmagere wrote:
Innuendo wrote:
I envision a utility that sucks all the information out of all those xml files and injects them into the NTFS stream system built into newer versions of Windows. Not only would the possibilities of different ways to view the data open up, but the data would be searchable by the Windows search system as well.
For some reason I thought comicrack already stored some of the info into the NTFS stream
Only for rar compressed files. And it's just a copy of ComicInfo.xml, the thought being that CR can't add a file into rar's like it can into zip's. I never did understand why the Alternate Data Stream info wasn't comprehensive and limited only to rar's.

Windows Shell Extension to display ComicInfo.xml data 2 years 3 months ago #43061

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
Silly me... I just noticed I did upload to Dropbox the example cbz file and not the shell extension... I will not be able to fix it until next monday... sorry... Anyway, I guess nobody tried to use it :angry: :P

Windows Shell Extension to display ComicInfo.xml data 2 years 3 months ago #43093

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok,

Some more work on this... the code now includes two working shell extensions and one not working:

code: comic info shell extensions

- Getcomicinfo

Adds a "comic info..." entry to the contextual menu of CBZ files (right click) as shown... then shows a window with basic info:

- Comicinfotip

Shows basic comic info to when the mouse hovers over a CBZ file:

- ComicoverlayXMLIcon --- not working.

The idea is to overlay an small "XML" text over those CBZ files that have a ComicInfo.xml file embedded, to help quickly identify them on the explorer.

I have cbxshell installed, and it seems to conflict somehow, but nothing terrible. Also, my cbz files have an overlaid comicrack icon (see images above), and this might be making my overlay not work, but I am not sure. Does anybody know if the comicrack icon comes from comicrack or from cbx?

See first post for the description on how to try the scripts even if you have not visual studio

To install the extensions, look for the .dll you want to register (GetComicInfo.dll and ComicInfoTip.dll) and run from command.com the srm.exe file using "install" and the dll filename as parameters. Also you can use the ServerManager.exe to install.

Cheers!
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by perezmu.

Windows Shell Extension to display ComicInfo.xml data 2 years 3 months ago #43098

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I think it's going in the correct direction. Keep it up, grand-daddy! :)
perezmu wrote:
Also, my cbz files have an overlaid comicrack icon (see images above), and this might be making my overlay not work, but I am not sure. Does anybody know if the comicrack icon comes from comicrack or from cbx?

The overlay just indicates the default program you have chosen to open cbz/cbr files with. My files show the cdisplayex logo:

But, as this is not the universal behavior for other file types, I think this is CBXshell that does it.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by 600WPMPO.
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Who's Online

We have 183 guests and 2 members online