Welcome, Guest
A place to meet other Developers

TOPIC: Grand Comics Database - API

Grand Comics Database - API 7 years 3 months ago #8586

• matrixik
  • Junior Boarder
Grand Comics Database growing and want be better.

Check comics.org.
We need folks to add and correct data, as well as technical volunteers to help build the web site, add an API and overhaul our visual design.

We Need Volunteer Web Designers and Programmers!

Please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or join the gcd-tech group if you can help with any of these roles:

Web designer / front-end developer (HTML / CSS / JavaScript)
We'd love to overhaul our site design- do you have a vision for us?

Web Services API
We want to make our data available over a modern Web Services API, but we need to do it in a way that will let our data organization grow and improve without breaking API clients. Can you help us?

Python / Django programming
There are many features still missing in our system, and many more enhancements that we'd like to add, and data format improvements that we'd like to support. Here's your chance to help us and burnish your open source credentials at the same time!

Performance Engineers
Are you an expert at MySQL? Or do you know how to squeeze the best performance from a web application deployment? If you'd like to see an even faster GCD, we could use your help!
Maybe can You give them some feedback with feature request for API. IF something working bad at ComicVine API or you have some idea for new functions that CV API don't have. Every feedback will be great.

Cheers
I am what I am.
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by matrixik.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Grand Comics Database - API 7 years 3 months ago #8587

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Re:Grand Comics Database - API 7 years 3 months ago #8596

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
If there are some idle hands here: Why not make a comic database here? And free ourselves from foreign constraints.

Re:Grand Comics Database - API 7 years 3 months ago #8598

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
cYo wrote:
If there are some idle hands here: Why not make a comic database here? And free ourselves from foreign constraints.
I'd call that a great idea, but would require an equally great person to do it...
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re:Grand Comics Database - API 7 years 3 months ago #8599

600WPMPO wrote:
cYo wrote:
I'd call that a great idea, but would require an equally great person to do it...

I also think this is a great idea, if for no other reason than we'd have control over it. Comicvine is like standing on quicksand. People wipe out/change/post incorrect data like mad. You can scrape it with correct data one day, then rescrape with it crap the next. If we had our own, we could control the changes as well as modify the API on demand.

Re:Grand Comics Database - API 7 years 3 months ago #8600

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Didn't somebody suggest a database here a long time ago and get shot down? Also the original scraper was sort of doing that but that fell through.

I'd LOVE ONE though. I can provide no coding support but I can help fill in books >.<

Re:Grand Comics Database - API 7 years 3 months ago #8601

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Yeah.. I remember that..

Can we have a reverse comic vine scraper ? We scrape our comics from comic vine, and then reverse scrape them to the database, from where they are available to be edited (like the wiki) till the boss considers it done and locks it as final ?
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re:Grand Comics Database - API 7 years 3 months ago #8602

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 267
600WPMPO wrote:
Can we have a reverse comic vine scraper ? We scrape our comics from comic vine, and then reverse scrape them to the database, from where they are available to be edited (like the wiki) till the boss considers it done and locks it as final ?
According to their Terms of Service it appears we could as long as we credit them for whatever data we use. At least that how I interpret it.

Relevant paragraph from the TOS:
All of the content available through the site is subject to the copyrights and trademarks of us, our partners or users. We grant you a license to reprint, republish or reuse any content on the site for non-commercial purposes under the Creative Commons' Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License, provided you provide attribution to the Comic Vine community.

Except as described in the previous paragraph, you may not store, display, publish, transmit, distribute, modify, reproduce, create derivative works of or in any way exploit any of the site content, in whole or in part.

Sadly I only have basic knowledge of Python, a little C# and a smattering of other miscellaneous languages, so I don't know how much use I would be in the programing of this.

I would of course contribute to the data entry. However, do we have a big enough user base to make this worthwhile?
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Stonepaw. Reason: spelling errors....

Re:Grand Comics Database - API 7 years 3 months ago #8603

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Stonepaw wrote:
600WPMPO wrote:
I would of course contribute to the data entry. However, do we have a big enough user base to make this worthwhile?

My thoughts exactly... I agree having our own custom database would improve CR a great deal, but how many years would it take us to get to the point the other databases out there are already datawise? :dry:

Re:Grand Comics Database - API 7 years 3 months ago #8604

• {Oo}
  • Platinum Boarder
  • The Chewie is a lie !
  • Thank you received: 41
And, on a more "money related" side. How much more traffic would be generated by it? How much more space would it use? etc... Since the donations sometimes are just enough to pay the rent for the actual server/bandwidth... But, hey, cYo proposed it! :laugh:

It's a good idea but it's a humongous work.
Working on re-uploading the FR manuals.
Time to create page: 0.855 seconds

Who's Online

We have 185 guests and 6 members online