Discussions about the Marvel Universe
  • Page:

TOPIC: Next big Marvel event: X-Men vs Avengers

Next big Marvel event: X-Men vs Avengers 5 years 10 months ago #19106

• O.Ren
  • Expert Boarder
  • Ahoy !
  • Thank you received: 32
Some of you might have read about it already, it is now official, X-Men vs Avengers (AvX) will be the big 2012 Marvel event.

If the title seems a bit "easy", the cast of authors and artists that will contribute to it are making me want to jump time to 6 months from now : Brian Michael Bendis, Jason Aaron, Jonathan Hickman, Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction, John Romita Jr., Olivier Coipel and Adam Kubert.

And the Phoenix will be back.

Well, X-Men fans knew that had to happen, now the question is, are they bringing Jean Grey back, or will they have one (or many) characters possess the Phoenix ? I hope (no pun intended) Jeannie will be back, it would be one more chance to finally give her character a deserved depth, especially now that Cyclops, Emma Frost and Prof X's characters have evolved so much since she disappeared from the story.

Marvel says, "Shipping twice monthly, this epic 12-issue limited series will be available in comic stores and on the Marvel Comics app on the same day—additionally, each print issue of AVENGERS VS X-MEN includes a code for a free digital copy of the issue on the Marvel Comics app at no additional cost to fans or retailers."

Watch videos from the live kickoff for this event, with some of the writers/artists answering Nick Lowe's questions and some of the fans:

new.livestream.com/marveluniverse

And here's a higher res image of the AVX poster for those of you who need to turn that into their wallpaper :)

To me, it doesn't matter who wins or looses, or who's stronger, I'm more looking forward to an event that has the potential to be just as good as Civil War. It feels like we will have another event where the reader can take sides, which has worked really well in Civil War.
ComicRackers, ASSEMBLE !
Join us on IRC, don't be shy :) Server:irc.rizon.net Channel:#comicrack
More info here
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by O.Ren.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Next big Marvel event: X-Men vs Avengers 5 years 10 months ago #19123

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Why do they feel the need to keep putting JR Jr.'s ugly art on stuff like this? :/

Re: Next big Marvel event: X-Men vs Avengers 5 years 10 months ago #19125

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Great Post.
I like that the main series will be 12 issues, as this is the one I normally read (I do not have the time to meander in all these spin-offs).

Bringing Jean back would be cool (you can have a nice fix in Ultimate of her :) - but this would be again the grown up version).

BTW, did anyone not take the side of Captain America in Civil War? :)

Re: Next big Marvel event: X-Men vs Avengers 5 years 10 months ago #19127

• Richard
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
cYo wrote:
BTW, did anyone not take the side of Captain America in Civil War? :)

I think it was their intention the fanbase split, and I've read Quesada talk about feedback as if there were fans of both sides. But the way Iron Man and his side was written, it made it very hard to be sympathetic to their side of the issue.

How could they have been surprised? Take a concept like 'registration' that your fan base would despise, put your most popular and impassioned characters against registration, and expect people to support the other side. pshaw

Re: Next big Marvel event: X-Men vs Avengers 5 years 10 months ago #19135

• O.Ren
  • Expert Boarder
  • Ahoy !
True that. What I meant was more that it will create a "choose a side option" -> buzzing fan base -> new comers to the series will have another element to spark their curiosity and veteran fans will unleash their nerdiness talking about how Hulk can beat the crap of any mutant except Emma.

Plus, if the Civil War event is to be a lesson, I'm sure they learned a thing or two on how to be more subtle in their line drawings between the 2 parties. I really hope so, the less obvious is the "good/bad" distinction, the better. (They actually were fans on both sides in Civil War, you should look up dithyrambic monologues by people explaining to you why iron Man had a point and why it's so heart wrenching that Marvel didn't have the guts to not go with the obvious side)

Also, the exciting part is that these are two teams with very iconic characters, I can't wait to see how the story will give each fan base what they want.

My concern is that it won't really be a "vs" but more like a close encounter or light opposition, and that to not upset anyone, and call the thing a draw with consequences for future storylines.

About Romita JR, I don't think he's one of the worst.. And I guess he's in the team because of the amount of work he's done on the Avenger.
ComicRackers, ASSEMBLE !
More info here

Re: Next big Marvel event: X-Men vs Avengers 5 years 10 months ago #19144

• Richard
  • Junior Boarder
O.Ren wrote:
True that. What I meant was more that it will create a "choose a side option"

-- snip --

(They actually were fans on both sides in Civil War, you should look up dithyrambic monologues by people explaining to you why iron Man had a point and why it's so heart wrenching that Marvel didn't have the guts to not go with the obvious side)
I agree with both of your points. I was only trying to express that the execution of Civil War made it hard to sympathize with Iron Man's points. He was written as a bumbling incompetent disloyal jerk half the time, making it hard to root for him or understand his position. I think the writers can and will do a better job with nuance and characterization in the future.
O.Ren wrote:
About Romita JR, I don't think he's one of the worst.. And I guess he's in the team because of the amount of work he's done on the Avenger.
The first thing I thought of was his two long runs on Uncanny X-Men. I guess he actually makes a great artist for an AvX showdown.
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Richard. Reason: reformatted for clarity

Re: Next big Marvel event: X-Men vs Avengers 5 years 10 months ago #19148

• O.Ren
  • Expert Boarder
  • Ahoy !
Oh, and little fun fact to note, it wouldn't be the first time the X-Men face the Avengers in an official dedicated storyline: Marvel tried it before, in 1987 :

Aaaah, the 80s.... gotta love those mohawks Storm & Rogue were rocking :P :laugh:
ComicRackers, ASSEMBLE !
More info here

Re: Next big Marvel event: X-Men vs Avengers 5 years 10 months ago #19152

• Richard
  • Junior Boarder
I believe Rogue was rocking the Mullet back then. She may have been all business in the front but she was all party in the rear!

Re: Next big Marvel event: X-Men vs Avengers 5 years 10 months ago #19155

• Samael69
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
I don't know, I'm really kind of burnt out of the whole "vs." thing. I think I would have been much happier about it if they had chosen a more original title. I'll have to see the reason for the conflict and decide if it's worthwhile or just another "vs." in a long line of the same. The title "Fear Itself" invoked curiosity all by itself, without even knowing the story. "Civil War" implies something big. X-Men vs. Avengers makes me worry it's simply going to be a run of the mill "vs.". The only thing that makes me remotely interested at this point is that so many big names are involved.

Re: Next big Marvel event: X-Men vs Avengers 5 years 10 months ago #19172

• O.Ren
  • Expert Boarder
  • Ahoy !
Richard wrote:
I believe Rogue was rocking the Mullet back then. She may have been all business in the front but she was all party in the rear!
:silly: :lol: :lol: :silly: :silly: :lol:Samael69 wrote:
I don't know, I'm really kind of burnt out of the whole "vs." thing. I think I would have been much happier about it if they had chosen a more original title. I'll have to see the reason for the conflict and decide if it's worthwhile or just another "vs." in a long line of the same. The title "Fear Itself" invoked curiosity all by itself, without even knowing the story. "Civil War" implies something big. X-Men vs. Avengers makes me worry it's simply going to be a run of the mill "vs.". The only thing that makes me remotely interested at this point is that so many big names are involved.
Agree the name is just disappointing. But I can see how this has been cooking, and it does make sense, with the Osborn touch and with Cyclops getting more and more bent on Mutants survival at all costs, how the two teams would clash. Not to mention internal conflicts cracking strong-decades-lasting relationships, I can see how this is a good timing for a face off.

But I do share your hopes that this will be deeper than just a boring morality or stand. ("we can't let you guys do it, it's wrong and we stand for justice"). And they better not kill Storm or Emma or some shit.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
You hear me Fraction?? I don't care if they all get out of this event depressed, evil or hermaphrodite. Or if 50 characters come back from the death at once, for good, thanks to an alien energy entity. Do not kill the originals ! Instead, you can sacrifice any new characters on the alter of storytelling, I don't care, that's what the Jean Grey School and Avengers Academy are for. :P
ComicRackers, ASSEMBLE !
More info here
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.374 seconds

Who's Online

We have 218 guests and 5 members online