Welcome, Guest
Discussions about the Marvel Universe

TOPIC: So I wanted to begin reading x-men...

So I wanted to begin reading x-men... 5 years 6 months ago #22445

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 95
I am quite new to the comic world, even I am a superheroe fan since I was a kid, I have always been more a manga/anime fan... Of course I have watched many tv series about marvel and dc, and read a lot about the chars in the internet, even read some comics along my life... but I truely began reading comics in a regluar base since last year...

Till now I took advantage of the new 52 for DC, so that I can have a sort of fresh start with that... (and I say "sort of" XD).

With marvel it was a little more difficult. But little by little I have being able to read at least the most important comics and understanding them (thanks wikipedia!). But there is a part of marvel I have being avoiding because of its kind of "separation" from the rest, and that's the mutant part of marvel, or the xmen part all the same.

Now, Avengers vs X-men is begining and I feel this is the time to go into this world XD

Said that, I know X-men is a very old fransine and that I don't plan to read ALL OF THE XMEN COMICS... (not right now at least XD). So my plan was begining from what I have read onee and again it was a very important point in xmen story... M Day (or Decimination).

My problem is that I know that even since that "recent" moment, there are MANY comics to read, and I am quite lost in which to read and in which order... I would like someone whitch knowledge about this give me some hints about this XD
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: So I wanted to begin reading x-men... 5 years 6 months ago #22447

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Well, just as you stated before, Wikipedia is a good starting point for a summary of what to snatch up. So, going forward from where you started off, House of M, you can then hit the other major storylines after that:
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by oraclexview.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: So I wanted to begin reading x-men... 5 years 6 months ago #22449

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
yeah, I was using just that, but jumping from event to event let a lot of holes in the middle... I have being using that as a guide all the same...

Re: So I wanted to begin reading x-men... 5 years 6 months ago #22451

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Honestly, you can do much worse than to pick up old collections of stuff starting with the Claremont 70s relaunch. A lot of it holds up REALLY well.

Re: So I wanted to begin reading x-men... 5 years 6 months ago #22452

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
Sorry, perhaps it is my poor English, but I didn´t understand that last post ._.
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Xelloss.

Re: So I wanted to begin reading x-men... 5 years 6 months ago #22453

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
Xelloss wrote:
yeah, I was using just that, but jumping from event to event let a lot of holes in the middle...
True, with all the X-Men related titles out there currently and over the years, there are many holes that you'll need to fill in over time, though, reading the major storylines gets your feet wet the right way starting off. Once you start reading the books, they'll mention things within the gaps that'll point you in the right directions at the right times.

I think Shinrai was trying to say, if you really want to go way way back, to when the X-Men first started being considered super cool kick ass, then start with the 1970s reboot of the team when Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, etc. first joined the team in Giant Size X-Men #1 and then in X-Men #94 onward, which later became Uncanny X-Men.
Later on through the years, titles like, New Mutants, Wolverine, X-Factor, Excalibur, X-Men (volume 2), X-Force, Cable, X-Man, Generation X, X-Treme X-Men, Astonishing X-Men and many others were added to the X-Universe. I followed all of these at some time or another though Excalibur was one that I really didn't like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xelloss, MrTinkertrain

Re: So I wanted to begin reading x-men... 5 years 6 months ago #22454

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
I know that that would be the best way to be up to date with xmen... I know that I would be skipping a lot... but I really don't have the time to read SO many comics...

And being used to reading manga, I don't feel much confortable reading comics in a universe I don't understand... I know how I am, and if I start reading 70s xmen, I would end reading ALL marvel since 70s... and that would be the end of my notcomicreading life XD

I can be a bit... mmh... obsesive if I don't put some limits myself XD

At the same time, I am not very fond of marvel universe in the 90s... SO MUCH CHAOS, that then it was all fixed back all the same in the 2000s XD

I have ordered some marvel handbooks online (here in Argentina it takes ages to arrive U_U) to fill the old comics gaps... I hope with that I will be able to understand nowaday comics...

Re: So I wanted to begin reading x-men... 5 years 6 months ago #22455

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
Xelloss wrote:
... I know how I am, and if I start reading 70s xmen, I would end reading ALL marvel since 70s... and that would be the end of my notcomicreading life XD

I can be a bit... mmh... obsesive if I don't put some limits myself XD

At the same time, I am not very fond of marvel universe in the 90s... SO MUCH CHAOS, that then it was all fixed back all the same in the 2000s XD...
I can relate...I get to be all inclusive obsessive when it comes to things I'm into as well. I say just start with what you can. Thanks to the digital age, it's A WHOLE LOT EASIER to get your hands on back issues than it used to be when paper was your only option, so you really don't have to worry about missing out on what's going on like back in the day. Rome wasn't built in a day. :lol:
So again, I suggest either continuing from the House of M storyline that you read, or start with something more recent like the relaunch of X-Men #1 back in 2010, or even more recent the relaunch of Uncanny X-Men #1 just this year (you can then slowly work your way back).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xelloss

Re: So I wanted to begin reading x-men... 5 years 6 months ago #22457

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
I haven't read House of M, I read about it being like a "refreshing" point in xmen universe... As far as I know, the end of almost every mutant in Earth (except almost every mutantan known in comics XDDD) marked a before and after in the mutant part of marvel universe... so I thought i could be a good point where to start...

Although I haven´t read many xmen comics before (you complaint about the paper age of comics, but you don´t know how difficult it was those years here in Argentina for the comic fans... to see an xmen comic in a shop, or anywhere else, was like a present of the heaven XD), but because of the 90s tv series and my liking to this kinds of things, I was a bit "informed" about that xmen age... but everything after that is quite a mistery for me XD (apart from what I have being reading in internet in the last years)

Thanks to the digital era, I now read everyting I want in the PC, and I can even buy those comics I really liked in american online shops and made them shipped XD (which is quite expensive for the Argentine people here, but a lor cheaper than to buy them here all the same - which is quite imposible unless you are rich XD -)

Re: So I wanted to begin reading x-men... 5 years 6 months ago #22458

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
Xelloss wrote:
I am not very fond of marvel universe in the 90s... SO MUCH CHAOS, that then it was all fixed back all the same in the 2000s XD
Another thing to point out, is that while most of the Marvel titles were falling into the "crappy as hell" department, thanks to the collapse of the industry plus their battle with possible bankruptcy, the main X-Men related books were still really good reads in the mid to late 90s.
You had the Phalanx Covenant story arc, the Legion Quest story arc which then lead into the awesome Age of Apocalypse story arc written by some of the best Scott Lobdell, Mark Waid, Warren Ellis, Jeph Loeb & Howard Mackie. You had the Onslaught story arc & Operation: Zero Tolerance story arc. Plus artist like Chris Bachalo, fantastic manga like artwork by new comer Joe Madureira, the Kubert brothers Andy and Adam, and Carlos Pacheco all came into their own drawing some of the best X-Men comics I've ever seen during this period. This period of the X-Men was just a pivotal as earlier periods when it came to the X-Men getting a movie deal with 20th Century Fox.
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by oraclexview.
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds

Who's Online

We have 187 guests and 7 members online